Pl Ans if you can: W2 and 1099 question at i-485 stage

CandianAndAmerican

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends:

My I-485 pending since ND Sept 99. finger prints expired so went with the old notice and got my finger pritns again althought he schedule date is June26.

I have been working with the same employer for the past 5 yrs now and he used to give a me a W2 every year and I even have a W2 from 2000 but now he is going to give me a 1099 and is not deducting my taxes. I am with the same company and smae job and same employer only difference is the method of salary...
 Is that a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

No Title

I do not think u have a problem. With W2 your employer was deducting taxes and you were filing 1040 with held taxes shown in W2. Now with 1099, he will not deduct taxes, but now it becomes your responsibility to pay taxes. But as far as your GC is concerned, that will not be a problem.

No Title

Hi,

My advice to you is, talk to your attorney.
Iif H1 specifically says, full time job (40 hrs/week), then Ur employer should give W2.
My understanding about 1099 is, that it is for a temp. job, so if the job is temp., how can GC be for the fulltime (future) job.
(I do not understand, that why you want to take 1099, even in hourly rate split arrangement, u can take W2)

Best of luck.

No Title

Thank you for your input....

My employer in order to cut cost is givng 1099.... I am happy atleast he has kept me on the payroll..