Pittsburgh interview (3/3/04) experience

dsam

Registered Users (C)
Pittsburgh interview experience

Had my N-400 interview at Pittsburgh on Wed (3/3/04).

It was uneventful and similar to what others have reported on this forum.
Was given a paper that said I was approved.

If someone wants more details, let me know. I`ll try to reply as soon as I can.

(Timeline : PD 10-21-03
FP 12-17-03 (Went 1 week later than scheduled appt).
Online status vanished ---2-6-04.
Interview letter rec`d --- 2-13-04.
Interview --- 3-3-04
(VSC - Charleston,WV but interview was at Pittsburgh. Scheduled by mistake by the concerned clerk at VSC - according to the USCIS officer at Charleston)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats

First of, Congrats to you my question is this ,

When they verify your application at the interview, is that like they question you and see if you answer correct or how is that done?

Thank you.

:confused:

No.
At least in my case, she was reading each entry (addresses, jobs) for the last 5 years and asking me if that was correct, still valid etc.

Basically, I was confirming by saying yes to all the entries she was reading off the N-400 application.

pittsburgh exp

did they tell you about oath details/process how long etc
How long was the interview
History/Eng test details
Any tips or things to remember

Thnks
Kashinath

I have an interview on Mar 26th in Pgh

Kashinath,

Sorry it took so long. I was very busy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did they tell you about oath details/process how long etc

When I asked her, she said I`d would receive the oath info by mail SOON.
In my case, my interview was scheduled (by VSC mistake) at Pittsburgh instead of my home town Charleston, WV which has a CIS office that conducts Naturalization interviews. She did not know if my oath will be at Pittsburgh or Charleston. When I asked if my file will be sent back to VSC for that decision, she said "no. It will be decided here but by someone higher than me".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How long was the interview

Somewhere between 15-20 min (closer to 20min)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History/Eng test details

She asked me about 7 or 8 questions (all from the list of 100Q) and I answered all of them correctly. Then she asked me to write down the answer to the last Q ("there are thirteen stripes in the US flag") on the form she was filling up. Other than this writing part, I think they assess your english knowledge by the verbal interaction during the interview itself. Nothing else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speeding tickets : When I kept saying no to all the questions like "have you ever been arrested/jailed/detained/trouble with law" , she said (with a slight smile) "not even speeding tickets?”. I admitted I was ticketed for speeding. She asked “when” and the “outcome” (paid fine by mail). At the end of the interview she said she is adding this to my N400 application (“ one addition with no attachment”) but it should not have any bearing on the application and had me sign the form. I think it is routine – at the completion of interview, they make you sign the form.

My wife had an identical interview after me– same interviewer – including the pointed “not even a speeding ticket ?”.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She asked only for driver license, GC and passport (did check the last entry to US).
I do not think you need tax returns or speeding ticket disposition records. Just be truthful but you need not try to get all the speeding records from whichever place you had the ticket(s).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have to sign our full name on the 2 photos we supply with N-400. It is a pain because the pens they give you won`t write on the surface of the photo. I had to overwrite on the signature several times to get a acceptable signature. It took so much time,she said one good one is OK - that will be printed on the Naturalization Certificate. The other one too I tried but was not good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, she was nice, courteous and professional.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parking rates in downtown are exorbitant. I paid $ 22 for 7pm-9am at Gateway garage near Hilton and $13 for 1 hour in the parking lot across Federal building – a total of $35 for 15 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

thanks dsam for the detailed feedback ;pl let us know when you get the oath letter. It will help in giving some idea as to the timeline....

Received oath letter (N-445) yesterday (3/15).
Letter was dated 3/11.

Oath is scheduled for April 5th at Charleston,WV.

Timeline :

PD---------------------10/21/03
FP---------------------12/17/03 (Scheduled date was 12/11/03)
Interview---------------3/3/04
Oath-------------------4/5/04

Originally posted by dsam

Speeding tickets : When I kept saying no to all the questions like "have you ever been arrested/jailed/detained/trouble with law" , she said (with a slight smile) "not even speeding tickets?”. I admitted I was ticketed for speeding. She asked “when” and the “outcome” (paid fine by mail). At the end of the interview she said she is adding this to my N400 application (“ one addition with no attachment”) but it should not have any bearing on the application and had me sign the form. I think it is routine – at the completion of interview, they make you sign the form.
Hi,

Regarding speeding tickets: Did you remember the date of ticket? Did you produce any documentation for the same?

I do not even remember the year. I said 1 or 2 years ago. No documents at all. I had more than a few over the last several years in different jurisdictions. It is a big hassle getting all those records even if I remember all the jurisdictions. So I did not bother.
She was only concerned with the disposition of the ticket. Did not further question me.
I did not mention the speeding tickets in my application-N400. At the time, I talked to 2 of my friends who were on the verge of oath - both said it need not be mentioned on the form (acc to one`s attorney too). Though looking back ,esp on this forum, I see more people think it should be mentioned on the N400.