PIO tracker @ NYCGI

aboppana

Registered Users (C)
This thread id to track the PIO card time lines at NYCGI.

I have applied for PIO card for my new born daughter thru mail at NYCGI, and it reached there on June 16th, will see how long it would take to receive the card. If there are people applied for PIO cards at NYCGI, can you post your time lines.

I just mailed my PIO application today, June 24th. It will reach CGI SF on Thursday. I will update this thread as I hear more. Thanks

abopanna, have you heard anything back for PIO? I wonder how long it takes for NY and CGISF? Anyone else int he same boat?

I applied for PIO visa for my wife in April 2008. According to USPS tracker the Consulate received the application packet on 24th April and according to my bank they have cashed the $385.00 cashier's cheque ($360.00 + $20.00 for mailing back PIO) on May 5th. After that no response so far. Phone call goes to voice mail. I am not sure what to do next.

Regards,

This is scary.. So you mean you have not heard anything back for more than 2 months? They say it should take 3 to 4 weeks to process.. Which consulate did you apply?

Hi ReturnHome,
That is correct, no communication from the consulate at all. I have applied to the NY office. At this point I will be happy to at least get a confirmation from them that they are working on it, however long it takes.

Unfortunately driving to NY is not exactly an option for me. Any idea will be much appreciated.

Regards,

I haven't heard from consulate anything so far. It woul dbe three weeks by Monday from the day my daughter's application reached NY consulate. According to them it should be returned in 2-3 weeks. I am not sure how long it might take according to dougalted's message. I will update if I hear anything from consulate. I tried caling few times, but no luck. I would make a trip to NYC if I don't hear in another 3-4 weeks.

Awesome! So it tok 3 weeks from the day it reached to consulate.. I will continue my countdown as I have some R2I plans in End of july/Early august..

Now two and a half months after sending in the application; I have been calling the PIO line, a kind soul picked up the phone and told me everything is ready but I need to send them $20.00 for mailing my paperwork back.

I have already paid $385.00 which I understood included the $20.00 for mailing. However, I was told because my wife's passport is non-Indian type there is another fee of $20.00. Has anyone come across this before?

I will appreciate any information.

Regards,

Humm.. I have not heard of that before. In our case, although me an dmy husband bith had Indian passports before, and both the applications were sent in one form, I still sent $20 as separate fee for both of us.. Simple because I didn't want to take risk.. Paying $20 more to consulate is better than having sleepless nights.. But in either case, I have not heard of non indian type passport having more fee.. Sounds weird..

Now two and a half months after sending in the application; I have been calling the PIO line, a kind soul picked up the phone and told me everything is ready but I need to send them $20.00 for mailing my paperwork back.

I have already paid $385.00 which I understood included the $20.00 for mailing. However, I was told because my wife's passport is non-Indian type there is another fee of $20.00. Has anyone come across this before?

Regards,

I don't know about PIO, but for OCI, some consulates (e.g., Chicago) charge an additional $20 if the applicant has non-US passport. See E(i)b(ii) in http://www.indianconsulate.com/Dual Citizenship.htm#FEE_AND_MODE_OF_PAYMENTt:_

FYI, SFO doesn't - my wife has a Canadian passport and we just paid the usual $275 for her as well.

It's possible that the same additional $20 rule applies for PIO as well at Chicago, NYC, etc.

Regards,

If one has Indian passport, why would they apply for PIO?

Hi all,
Thank you for your replies. Now it makes sense, but I suppose it depends on the consulates whether the additional $20.00 is necessary or not. The fee will be on its way shortly.

I was also confused about the non-Indian passport at first, but then I rationalized to myself that perhaps they meant a cancelled-old-Indian passport vs other kinds. Non-US passport is probably a better explanation.

My wife comes from an EU country, hence the question.

Thanks again, hopefully this will complete the PIO journey.

Regards,

I received my PIO card today (3+ weeks) but I did not receive PIO card for my husband. We applied for both the cards at the same time, in one mail but separate envelopes. Has anyone experienced this before? We are in extreme time crunch and all the emails/phone messages left to Indian embassy are going in black hole.

I received my PIO card today (3+ weeks) but I did not receive PIO card for my husband. We applied for both the cards at the same time, in one mail but separate envelopes. Has anyone experienced this before? We are in extreme time crunch and all the emails/phone messages left to Indian embassy are going in black hole.

Just my hunch: since you sent 2 separate $20 checks for return service, it's possible that your husband's PIO will arrive separately, hopefully in the next day or so. If that's not the case, I am not sure what might be going on.

Thanks for the reply akgarg. I will keep everyone posted. I have been trying to contact DHL and see if anything is in transit but in vain.. Status enquiry emails sent to CGISF and phone calls are never returned either. We have plans to R2I in a week's time frame.. and could not book tickets until we get PIO. So much fun for the Indian Visa..

My husband's PIO card came in separate envelope today. Thanks everyone for all the support. I will not be having Internet access during our move to India, but I will be back once we settle down.. Thanks :)