PIO processing time at San Francisco Consulate

auri

Has anyone recently got his/her PIO processed at San Francisco Consulate. How long does it take (website says 30 days). I am a new citizen and waiting to receive my US passport, planning to make a trip to India around end of Jan ‘06.

Thanks for your feedback.

My Time Line:

DO: San Diego
PD: 05/16/05
FP: 07/21/05
ID: 11/01/05
OD: 11/22/05

Hi auri,

I also got my citizenship recently and I am planning to apply for my PIO card in Washington D.C. DO you hav any idea like what kind of documents are needed for PIO card. Also, do I need to submit xerox copies of my parents passports along with my application. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

I recently got my children's PIOs. It took around 2-3 weeks, did request for expediting. Documents specified in the instructions are sufficient. Regarding passport copy of your parents, I am not sure. But maybe your own Indian passport copies should do, right?

g10783 said:
Hi auri,

I also got my citizenship recently and I am planning to apply for my PIO card in Washington D.C. DO you hav any idea like what kind of documents are needed for PIO card. Also, do I need to submit xerox copies of my parents passports along with my application. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

I recently applied for a PIO card for my daughter at the CGI, Houston. I sent the appication on Nov. 17 and received the PIO yesterday. Maybe, the Thanksgiving holidays delayed the process a little bit.

If you are now a US citizen, and were previously an Indian citizen, you would only need to send a notarized copy of your old Indian passport to prove your prior Indian citizenship. No need to send your parents' passports.

Here are the documents that I submitted with my daughter's PIO application:

• Four passport size photographs
• Money Order for $170.00 ($155.00 for PIO card fee + $15.00 for return FEDEX/UPS charges) payable to Consulate General of India, Houston, Texas, USA
• Notarized copy of her birth certificate
• Notarized copy of her USA passport
• Notarized copy of my and wife's Indian passports

PIO application details

hi- Question on the details for PIO. When you submitted papers for your child's PIO in Houston, did you notarize just the front page or did you copy the entire passport, yours as well as the child's? Thx

What is the benefit of a PIO?

What is the benefit of a PIO card vs. a 10 year visa?
My son has a 10 year visa. Just wondering why I might want to apply for PIO for him.

Please help with any comments or insights.

Many thanks,
Kane