PIO - Orginal Passports

vrb2007

Registered Users (C)
Would any of you know if I need to send my Orginal Passports (Indian and US Passport) while applying for PIO.

Thanks

vrb2007,

We recently applied for PIOs for our year old twins who are US citizens. We sent the following.

1. Notarized copy of first page of my passport.
2. Notarized copy of first page of my wife's passport.
3. Notarized copy of my child's birth certificate.
4. Notarized copy of first page of my child's passport.

We received PIOs without any problem in about 3 and half weeks.

Notary was a little reluctant to notarize these documents because these documents are not designed to be notarized. But after I showed the comments from cgihouston.org, he reluctantly drew a line on each copy and notarized them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notary was a little reluctant to notarize these documents because these documents are not designed to be notarized. But after I showed the comments from cgihouston.org, he reluctantly drew a line on each copy and notarized them.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

In reference to the notary.You needs to tell them that it is needed to submmit this as true copy of the originals..It has to be written on each of paper."That this is true copy of the original"I am also curious.I see lot of folks applying for PIO instead of OCI.I would think it would be opposite.Since OCI is cheaper and has more priviledges than PIO.Am I worng to think that way??

Answer to why PIO, why not OCI

dude4mrestonva,

See the following is statement from cgihouston.org

[Minors (below 18 years) whose both parents are Indian citizens are not eligible for registration as Overseas Citizens of India. They are, however, eligible to apply for PIO Card]

Both, I am my wife are Indian citizens and hence the PIO and not OCI. When we become the citizens, we will apply for everyone's OCI cards.

The interesting thing about minors becoming OCI in 2 steps is that it costs $210 overall for both steps (PIO $185 + OCI $25) whereas if you apply for OCI directly the fee is $275. That's $65 saving :)

If you factor in postage - twice for PIO, once for OCI then the savings comes down to around $45 which is why I chose the OCI route for my son.

Too much hassle for a $45 savings.

dandan123,

Saving $65 was just a joke (please note the smiley). OCI was not an option for us. Myself and my wife, both are Indian citizens and chidren had no other option but PIO. But if one was was a US citizen, I would have definitely opted for OCI.

Cheers... :)

Application

Thanks for the Information. I was a Indian Citizen before naturalization. Do I need to send photocopies of my parents passport also or is that not needed. I am applying to Houston embassy. They have a slightly different application than the main Indian embassy website.

a) http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/pio.pdf (Indian Embassy)
b) http://www.cgihouston.org/PIOTemplate2.pdf (Houston Embassy)

Does it matter which one needs to be used?

Thanks

Thanks for the Information. I was a Indian Citizen before naturalization. Do I need to send photocopies of my parents passport also or is that not needed. I am applying to Houston embassy. They have a slightly different application than the main Indian embassy website.

a) http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/pio.pdf (Indian Embassy)
b) http://www.cgihouston.org/PIOTemplate2.pdf (Houston Embassy)

Does it matter which one needs to be used?

Thanks

I would stick to the requirments of the consular wing who will be processing you app.It is done locally.Where as OCI is approved form Delhi.Also If you have held Indian passport you just need to send in copies of the frist two pages.Parents are only needed if you never held Indian passport..Also I would do OCI over PIO.But that is my 2 cents.Good Luck..

dude4mrestonva,

See the following is statement from cgihouston.org

[Minors (below 18 years) whose both parents are Indian citizens are not eligible for registration as Overseas Citizens of India. They are, however, eligible to apply for PIO Card]

Both, I am my wife are Indian citizens and hence the PIO and not OCI. When we become the citizens, we will apply for everyone's OCI cards.

The interesting thing about minors becoming OCI in 2 steps is that it costs $210 overall for both steps (PIO $185 + OCI $25) whereas if you apply for OCI directly the fee is $275. That's $65 saving :)

Ah I c.I forgot about that part..Ok good with your process.

Just in case my language was confusing! When I said 1st page of passport, I meant inside cover and page 1 together.

vrb2007,

I am curious as to why you prefer PIO to OCI considering you are a US citizen.

Also, the form you are downloading says fees is $155. This appears to be an old form. The new fee for PIO is $185.

Regards