PIO is the answer for Expedited OCI processing

swami2100

Registered Users (C)
I applied PIO for my wife and daughter. The PIO application package was delivered to Houston Consulate on August 11th. We received the PIO approval package on August 25th. This is very useful for anyone planning to stay longer in India and have no time to apply for OCI. The whole process takes a maximum period of 2 weeks (at least in my case) without any follow ups. The fees for PIO is $310 but for my daughter it is only $155/. I am planning to convert them to OCI after going back to India.

I see lot of folks with questions about expediting the OCI Process. I can recomend this process instead of applying tourist Visa. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
swami2100 said:
I applied PIO for my wife and daughter. The PIO application package was delivered to Houston Consulate on August 11th. We received the PIO approval package on August 25th. This is very useful for anyone planning to stay longer in India and have no time to apply for OCI. The whole process takes a maximum period of 2 weeks (at least in my case) without any follow ups. The fees for PIO is $310 but for my daughter it is only $155/. I am planning to convert them to OCI after going back to India.

I see lot of folks with questions about expediting the OCI Process. I can recomend this process instead of applying tourist Visa. Thanks

And moreover for minors, it saves $$$ as well since you only spend $155 + $25 (OCI application fee for existing PIO holders) as opposed to $310

Wish I had known this earlier. I applied for my baby's OCI status at SFO about three weeks ago, but there's no acknowledgement yet. I understand now that the acknowledgement itself may take about 10 weeks.

I now have a choice of applying for a Visa ($65-85) or a PIO ($155) for her to be able to travel by the year end.

Is there any way I could cancel the OCI application? Would that be a foolish thing to do?

bltzkrig

bltzkrig said:
Wish I had known this earlier. I applied for my baby's OCI status at SFO about three weeks ago, but there's no acknowledgement yet. I understand now that the acknowledgement itself may take about 10 weeks.

I now have a choice of applying for a Visa ($65-85) or a PIO ($155) for her to be able to travel by the year end.

Is there any way I could cancel the OCI application? Would that be a foolish thing to do?

bltzkrig

No don't cancel the OCI application now..(since I believe they will not refund your fees anyway once you send in the same).

I think, you will get $250/ back if you decide to cancel the OCI application. Please verify it with the consulate. thanks

Is the PIO still a valid process?

Are the consulates still accepting PIO card applications? I had read somewhere that once the OCI scheme takes effect, they were planning to phase out the PIO cards, with a $25 charge for conversion. My oath in N. California is expected in Oct, and the US passport may take another month or so. Thus I'm really interested to know whether the PIO scheme will still be around at that time :confused:

sanjosedude said:
Are the consulates still accepting PIO card applications? I had read somewhere that once the OCI scheme takes effect, they were planning to phase out the PIO cards, with a $25 charge for conversion. My oath in N. California is expected in Oct, and the US passport may take another month or so. Thus I'm really interested to know whether the PIO scheme will still be around at that time :confused:

Looking at the SF consulate website, there doesn't seem to be any indication relating to this in the near future. On that basis,you are all set to apply for PIO. But I believe that for adults, you will be spending more money for PIO and then PIO --> OCI conversion rather than applying for OCI directly.