PIO dual cistizenship

HelloAmerica

Registered Users (C)
hi
iam an indian born, nw canadian citizen living in US n have a 5months old daughter,who is american citizen, n my wife is indian.

i recently applied passport for my daughter.
nw shd is apply PIO, n indian visa for her or just PIO n apply for dual citizenship for her, i went through all the related threads but still confused, whatto apply for her.
nw my second query is, i want to visit india, nw what shd i apply dual citizenship or just visa.
any suggestion plz
thank u

You and your daughter would need visas to visit India (I am assuming your wife is still an Indian citizen). My advice is to apply for OCI for yourself and your daughter. Depending on where you are in the US (i.e., under which consulate's jurisdiction your state is in), it may take up to 3 months for OCI process to complete. If you need to visit India sooner than that, then you can get a short-term visa in the interim.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
iam an indian born, nw canadian citizen living in US n have a 5months old daughter,who is american citizen, n my wife is indian.

i recently applied passport for my daughter.
nw shd is apply PIO, n indian visa for her or just PIO n apply for dual citizenship for her, i went through all the related threads but still confused, whatto apply for her.
nw my second query is, i want to visit india, nw what shd i apply dual citizenship or just visa.
any suggestion plz
thank u

You were born in India - This means you were once an Indian Citizen.
If so, this means you and your daughter are both eligible for OCI (and eligible for PIO also of-course).
This may have changed by now, but my understanding from last year is that your daughter (assuming she is a minor) can apply for OCI only when you apply for your OCI. Otherwise she can only get a PIO.

Now depending on when you have to go to India, you have following choices -
1. If you have enough time before your India visit (6-8 months) then first apply for PIO for your daughter. That costs much less that children's OCI. Then as soon as you get her PIO, apply for your OCI along with her OCI. That way for her, you pay total only Kids PIO fees + $25 'upgrade' fee, which is much less than her regular OCI fees.

2. Or if you only have 3-5 months before you have to go to India, then apply for both you and your daughter's OCI, and shell out the extra fee for her.

3. Or if you have about 2 months, then apply for her PIO only.

4. Or if you have less than 2 months, then just get her a tourist visa.

The above times are just safe estimates and may actually be much less (or more) depending on where in US you live.

All the best!

@ alt

thanks thanks iam so happy and relived after reading ur detailed explanation. i will surely follow it.
thanks once again alt