PIO card question

freegirl31

Registered Users (C)
HI,
We applied the OCI for our little daughter at the SF indian consulate but according to the new rules (which we were not aware of) they rejected the application as both of us r still indian citizens and returned the whole package (including the $290 fee i.e. they didn't charge us the processing fee :) ).
Now we have to apply for her PIO. Can anyone please share the info on the documents to be attached for the application.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
freegirl31 said:
HI,
We applied the OCI for our little daughter at the SF indian consulate but according to the new rules (which we were not aware of) they rejected the application as both of us r still indian citizens and returned the whole package (including the $290 fee i.e. they didn't charge us the processing fee :) ).
Now we have to apply for her PIO. Can anyone please share the info on the documents to be attached for the application.
Thanks.

i believe if you visit http://www.cgisf.org, it details all the required documents.

If you go in person, you don't need to get the PP copy for both you
and your spouse notarized.

ask to mail PIO

when we went to apply PIO for our daughter, they gave us a date which was 4 weeks from the day we applied, if we wanted to collect it in person.
On a rethought, we asked them to mail it (by paying $15 extra)
and they mailed the PIO card the following week, 3 weeks earlier than in-person date.

Docs that we carried-
2 copies of The form, 4 photos,
copies of First and last 2 pages of Passport for both of us and for baby.
I think we took baby's birth certificate also.
No need to notarize PP copies, if we go in person and show our originals.

The form says, for infant, we need to place thumb impression.
It was struggle for us to get the baby's thumb impression.
After wasting 2 hours, finally I took thebest one, scanned it and placed in all both places using Paint program and took 2 copies from inkjet printer, so that all look real.

They did not much bother about the quality or appearence of thumb impression, but they cut it and pasted one on PIO card under the photo.

coming to OCI, they used to give earlier even for children of Indian parents
(I mean parents who are Indian Citizens). we were about apply OCI for our daughter by paying $25 (as she has PIO now)- but seeing your case, we now know that we won't get it, because both of us are Indian citizens.

what are the dates you actually applied OCI, just to know when they might have changed rules.
(FAQ on OCI site has modified date of Sep.1, 2006)

yellogem said:
what are the dates you actually applied OCI, just to know when they might have changed rules.
(FAQ on OCI site has modified date of Sep.1, 2006)

hi, thanks for the input.
We mailed the application for OCI on September 12th.
Yeah now the minor child of indian citizen parents is not eligible for OCI.

Also, did you take the first and last page copy of your baby's US passport and birth certificate? I think i read they ask for the last indian passport acquired for the applicant but in our case the babies dont even have one. So i guess only the US passport is enough right?