• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Picture for DV application

Jeffy14

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm preparing my application for DV -2012 however I cant find ifno about the size of the picture
I mean here are the instructions povided on travel.state.gov http://travel.state.gov/pdf/1318-DV2012Instructions-ENGL.pdf
But nowhere it says what should be the size of the picture
Is it 2inchx2inch (5cmx5cm) ??
Or can it be other format ???
I see the details for scanning, background, how to be on the picture etc... but not this.
Thx!

really ?
thats all ?
to me pixels is a resolution
Not a size
so I can go to any photo machine ?
I dont need the special ones 5cm * 5 cm ?

well....if you have already taken a digital pic from a dig camera it already has a 'pixel resolution' 1040x1280 or whatever.

Now what you need to do is 'crop' that picture to 600x600 pixel area so as to satisfy the requirements (head size, eye ht etc)

Can be easily done using MS picture manager. All what you need to do is take a regular dig pic of your bust....not too far nor too close.
It will thus easily be able to crop to 600x600 and will easily fall in the requirements range by itself without any trbl. (and the final file size will be no where near the e-DV max reqmt)

If you are scanning from an already printed photo, then it is easy if the printed photo is 2"x2" (regular US PP pic requirements).
All you need to do is scan it to a target image size of 600x600 pixels MAKING sure the scanning resolution is at 300 dpi (dots or pixels) per inch.

All this is done so if the KCC wants to print your pic they can print a 2"x2" pic at 300dpi resolution.

Hope this helps.

Best!

PS:

The editing of a dig pic already taken is easily done using a basic program like MS pic mngr.
Take a high res pic and work 'down' to the 600x600 size.
You will have to learn how to re size % wise and how to crop using the crop window. (not hard)
Just make a 600x600 crop window and move that window around the bust to determine the final pic area

Also you can easily use the crop window to measure the heights of head and eye level.
Work in pixel terms than in cm or in.
In pixel terms, the ht of head should be between 300-414.
And eye ht from the bottom 336-414.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol ok thx a lot for your answer!
I have an HP scanner and there is an editing software that went with it. It think it will do the trick.
I'll check for MS pic too
thx again!

This may be simple for some folks but Can someone please tell me how to take a digital pic without getting a shadow behind the ears? I have tried all kinds of locations, different distances away from the wall etc but I always end up with a light shadow behind the ears...This is so frustrating..help please...

This may be simple for some folks but Can someone please tell me how to take a digital pic without getting a shadow behind the ears? I have tried all kinds of locations, different distances away from the wall etc but I always end up with a light shadow behind the ears...This is so frustrating..help please...

sonibago, try and take the pic in a not too sunny or dull(evening...getting darker ) environment. you can try shooting in front a building that is suitable to block the rays of the sun.
hope this helps.

sonibago, try and take the pic in a not too sunny or dull(evening...getting darker ) environment. you can try shooting in front a building that is suitable to block the rays of the sun.
hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion...I was actually outside today scouting for a suitable background. It's so frustrating

I have the same problem... I went to get passport pics taken at AAA, and it still has shadows behind my ears :( Will they disqualify pics for having shadows behind the ears?

Boer I am so frustrated because even outside I get shadows behind the ears. My husband is being a pain in the butt because he thinks we should just use those since nobody is checking. To add to my frustration I have a 3 year old who just would stay still long enough to get a decent pic. I seriously feel like just going to a studio...

why dont you just go to a professional ???
I know it's annoying.... but at least you get what you need

I dont understand something. When I scan my picture for 300dpi and then crop it with a program to get 600x600 , the dpi then becomes 96....
DO you think it's enough ?
The instructions say 300dpi...
But I dunno why it does not keep the same dpi... any help plz?

Jeffy14 if I'm not mistaken the picture you are going to scan should be 2"x2" so when you scan it at 300dpi then the resultant image will be 600x600. I don't understand why the dpi changes to 96.
BTW I have decided to go to a studio and get my pics done, I'm waiting on my husband and daughter to come meet me as I type.

Hi Nuvf,
As regards d eye level of 300-414 & head height of 336- 414.could u kindly explain how to arrive at those measurement using pixels?just be more explicit.thanks

Also you can easily use the crop window to measure the heights of head and eye level. Work in pixel terms than in cm or in. In pixel terms said:
How can I view the pixels ruler alongside the pic? Thanks

Well I have a grand old problem and I need some help. I went to the studio today took my pics and loaded them unto my flash drive. Came home, cropped and resized and everything's looking good. When I went into photo properties to double check the pic specs I see the date taken as 2/5/2006.....wt?????? I don't know what to do now..any help/advice would be appreciated.

Try to load it in a program like paint or photoshop and save the pic again, it might change the creation date to current...

I used paint shop pro and the dimensions on my pic is perfect with a current date.

Try to load it in a program like paint or photoshop and save the pic again, it might change the creation date to current...

I used paint shop pro and the dimensions on my pic is perfect with a current date.

Thanks for the advice.....
I went back to the photo studio and they changed the date on their camera and did over the shots. It's ok now.

If you do decide to go to a photo studio, you might as well make sure to go to one where they use two flashes (one on each side) to reduce the shadows in your face or on the wall behind you. Not all studios use this setup, so just ask to be sure.