Physics to Finance. EB-1 evaluate?

rj289

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a PhD (and papers) in Physics, and work in money management. Now, I'd like to
apply for a green card under EB-1. It would be great to hear from someone who applied for
EB-1 with a similar multi-career background.

Some details are below. It would be great to hear suggestions/advice/tips from others
as well, on how I might pitch my application (or if there is a more appropriate category than
EB-1).

Thanks,

- RJ.

The logic here is that I used to work on statistics before (in Physics), as I do now (in Finance).
So my research etc. has been in the same field.

1. Receipt of award
Outstanding student paper award at an international meeting (in physics)
This was written up with a photo in a related journal.

2. Published material
- 4 papers (in physics)
- 6 conferences, with abstracts published (in physics)
- 2 notes to clients (in Finance).

No publications in finance, since my investment research is naturally proprietary.

3. Judicial role in work of others
- Chairman of a session at an international meeting
- Interviewed MBA students etc. for positions at our firm

4. Original scientific contribution
- Can get recommendation letters from folks in physics and finance, pointing out how I continue
to do some good stuff in statistics
- have given talks in Canada and India (in physics). I could probably attach invitation
letters for those, in this context.

5. Performance of a leading/indispensable role
- Can get letters from folks in our company saying stuff to this effect

6. Membership in Associations
Recommended for admission to an exclusive finance society by a board member of the society.
(Can get written stuff from the society saying that such a recommendation is a bid deal.)
WIll be admitted only in Dec. [ I realize this is pretty weak; but I guess everything counts.]

If your *multi-career background* is based on your expertise on both Physics and Finance, then you need to demostrate how they are related to each other. When you will apply under extraordinary ability category, you need to specify your own field and you need to prove that you are one of the few in that particular field in the world.

Originally posted by $$01011964
If your *multi-career background* is based on your expertise on both Physics and Finance, then you need to demostrate how they are related to each other. When you will apply under extraordinary ability category, you need to specify your own field and you need to prove that you are one of the few in that particular field in the world.

I've heard of countless H1B's/TN's get rejected because the education does not match the position. I doubt this one will fly for EA-EB1. Maybe if the original had an MBA, that might help.

Brian

my opinion

I agree with Brain. This application would not fly in EB1. You may need to get a labor certificate.

Originally posted by leroythelion
I've heard of countless H1B's/TN's get rejected because the education does not match the position. I doubt this one will fly for EA-EB1. Maybe if the original had an MBA, that might help.

Brian

Thanks for the comments.

I do have an MBA as well. If I file for EB1 based purely on the MBA and my current work, there won't be any publications to show (since the investment work is confidential). I figured that this would make it more difficult for meet the EB1 criteria.

Which is why I was wondering what might be the best way to use the physics stuff (I realize the onus is on me to prove the connection between the two).

Would you suggest then, that I focus only on the finance part in my application? I was a bit hesitant to rely mostly on just recommendation letters to prove "exceptional achievement," since some of the rejected cases at USCIS suggest that they give more weight to independent proof from the past than to documents specifically prepared for the application.

Thanks,

RJ.

Originally posted by rj289
Thanks for the comments.

I do have an MBA as well. If I file for EB1 based purely on the MBA and my current work, there won't be any publications to show (since the investment work is confidential). I figured that this would make it more difficult for meet the EB1 criteria.

Which is why I was wondering what might be the best way to use the physics stuff (I realize the onus is on me to prove the connection between the two).

Would you suggest then, that I focus only on the finance part in my application? I was a bit hesitant to rely mostly on just recommendation letters to prove "exceptional achievement," since some of the rejected cases at USCIS suggest that they give more weight to independent proof from the past than to documents specifically prepared for the application.

Thanks,

RJ.

I think you really need some legal help, here. A consultation with an immigration attorney might be worth the money.

Brian