Physician Greencard Options Question

Bugleboy1111

Registered Users (C)
I have arrived in the U.S in 2003 on a F-1 Visa and completed my master's degree in U.S . After that I have joined the Family medicine Residency program on a H-1 B visa and completed my residency. Earlier this year I have joined in a Geriatrics Fellowship program on H-1 B and will be completing it shortly. I have never been out of immigration status in the U.S.

I will have completed 3 Years on my H-1 B Visa and I received a job offer in a community hospital in a U.S government medical underserved classified area and will be joining them next year. The Hospital will be able to sponsor my greencard and h-1B Visa transfer.

My Question is as follows
1) I am from India since the EB immigrant visa quota is backlogged what would be the best course of action in terms of filing for a Greencard
a) EB 2 - 485 Perm Process
b) EB 2 - National Interest Waiver
c) EB 1 - (Would Geriatrics fellowship count towards this?)

Any Guidance on this the best way forward would be appreciated.

a) EB 2 - 485 Perm Process
b) EB 2 - National Interest Waiver

Both EB2, so you won't be able to file a concurrent 485 and you won't be able to get a work permit once your H1b clock is up.

c) EB 1 - (Would Geriatrics fellowship count towards this?)

Not really. For extraordinary ability, you need to proove that you are in the top 2% of geriatricians. If you have some research and academic pull behind you it may work, but hardly something you can bank on.

Tough situation.

EB2 PERM vs NIW

Both EB2, so you won't be able to file a concurrent 485 and you won't be able to get a work permit once your H1b clock is up.

Not really. For extraordinary ability, you need to proove that you are in the top 2% of geriatricians. If you have some research and academic pull behind you it may work, but hardly something you can bank on.

Tough situation.

Hadron , thanks for your reply !

Are there any benefits of going the EB2 NIW vs EB2 Perm route for Physicians?

Are there any benefits of going the EB2 NIW vs EB2 Perm route for Physicians?

Mh, I would do both, belts and suspenders.

I assume you are talking about the NIW in underserved areas. The advantage of that one is that you can branch out on your own, run your own practice and you are not dependent on the goodwill of an employer. Also, it is pretty much guaranteed. If you have the documents to proove that you practiced there they have to give you the GC.

Disadvantage of course is that it takes 5 years.