Photos for the n400 application form

seroy

Registered Users (C)
What are the requirements for the photos for the N400 application form? Do the photos have to be of full face or side face? Does it have to be on a white background? Any other requirements?

Thanks

Did you read the instructions (or the Guide)?

If I remember correctly, one of those two documents is very explicit. Just do whatever it is they tell you to do (which is the right way to go anyway, in case they change the spec).

Thanks, hp007!

The Guide to Naturalization still shows the old-style photos (facing sideways.) I'd heard vaguely that the rules had changed, but couldn't find anything about that; so I appreciate the link you provided.

I'm going to apply in a few weeks, and will use the new front-facing photo style.

Hi there!

Yes, just go to a place that takes pictures for U.S. passports and you will be fine. It is the same format for the N-400.

Best of luck!

Legal

Conflicting info

Guys,

The guide to naturalization available on the www.uscs.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm
says that the photo format should be such hat 3/4 profile view of the right side of the face and right ear shows up. (Page 33 of the guide).
This is not the same as what you guys are saying about the fact that the photo should be a full face passport style photo.

Why the difference? Waht have the folks who are sending applications now been doing? Thanks

Hi seroy,

This is outdated information. The photo requirements were changed in 04 or 05. It is now in the format outlined by other posters, including myself.

Cheers!

Legal

seroy said:
Guys,

The guide to naturalization available on the www.uscs.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm
says that the photo format should be such hat 3/4 profile view of the right side of the face and right ear shows up. (Page 33 of the guide).
This is not the same as what you guys are saying about the fact that the photo should be a full face passport style photo.

Why the difference? Waht have the folks who are sending applications now been doing? Thanks

The guide to naturalization has outdated information regarding the photograph style. The new passport style photo requirement has been used since more than 2 years ago.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

In particular, the informational flyer in that page says:
"Washington, DC — In accordance with language specified in the Border
Security Act of 2003, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
announced a change in the photo requirements for all applicants from
a three-quarter face position to a standard, full-frontal face position to take
effect August 2, 2004.
USCIS will accept both three-quarter and full-frontal color photographs until
September 1, 2004, after which only full-frontal color will be accepted."

I haven't heard of people having had problems with the wrong information in the guide, but I would be curious to hear. It would be great if USCIS could update this document, but it is an unfortunate fact of life that sometimes documents get outdated and not made up to date.

Here is what I did ! I went to the store, went to their Portrait Studio and said I need to get Passport Photos taken. She took them, I paid and I sent them off with my N-400

Like everybody else said, just to any CVS or Motophoto, ot any other store that take pictures and tell them you need passport pictures.