• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Photos for Muslim women

Yaser

Registered Users (C)
I have a question regarding the photo specifications for the DV Lottery initial application.

According to the Islamic religion, women are obliged to wear head scarfs which covers hair. Those coverings will also cover both ears and the hair line.

Is such a photo, which shows full face but doesn't show both ears, acceptable to apply for DV Lottery?

Is such a photo, which shows full face but doesn't show both ears, acceptable to apply for DV Lottery?

I doubt ears are a big deal. If you look at the examples the website shows of "Well-Composed Photos", the photo of the Chinese lady has her hair covering her ears completely. And the lady to the left of her only shows a hint of her right ear.

hi yasser,

no it is not acceptable.

i am muslim too, and i always wonder what problem people have with showing their full face and hair in an identity photograph.

ID picture is intended to identify her, so if she wears a scarf that hides parts of her face or hair it is not an identity photo anymore!!!

if you or your wife don't agree with that, i would recommend you rethink your move stateside, as I am not sure you would be happy there!!!

PS: hiding parts of her face on an ID picture has nothing to do with religion, it is a cultural interpretation that was proven unfounded even by eminent religious scholars .

Just read the instructions, but more careful this time. It specifically says that veils and other scarfs, hats etc. that are worn for religious beliefs (and religious beliefs ONLY) are permitted, just as long they do not obscure the face. In that sense, a regular veil is acceptable, a burqa or similar orthodox veil is not.

As quoted from the instructions:

Head Coverings and Hats
Photos of applicants wearing head coverings or hats are only acceptable if the head covering is worn for religious beliefs; even then, the head covering may not obscure any portion of the face of the applicant. Photographs of applicants with tribal or other headgear not specifically religious in nature will not be accepted; photographs of military, airline, or other personnel wearing hats will not be accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not trying to change the subject of the question or attack you for the question and forgive me if I speak my mind. With all due respect I am just amazed that why you want to immigrate or probably already are where does not match your life style. It might not be enjoyable life for you and soon or later problem will rise, that is for sure. Also if you are refering to your spouse picture. is it okay with you if she wants to have regular photo taken show hair on the picture? There are a lot of news about father(s) killing their own doughter(s) just because they blend in the society without considering family's dress code or even worse, find boy friend or just trying to hookup with someone or want to convert to something other than Islam(Honorable killing) .At the end I am sure cover is okay as long as face is shown and make sure to somehow note the application that photo was taken considering the religion you practice.
Good luck

Kido, mh66ii

Excuse me, the US is a multicultural place where are cultures and religions are living peacefully. I believe anyone who won't respect the right of others to wear whatever they want, those are the ones who should re-think about migrating to the US.

The department of state recognizes and respects other religions and it clearly states on their website that: Head Coverings and Hats
Photos of applicants wearing head coverings or hats are only acceptable if the head covering is worn for religious beliefs; even then, the head covering may not obscure any portion of the face of the applicant. Photographs of applicants with tribal or other headgear not specifically religious in nature will not be accepted; photographs of military, airline, or other personnel wearing hats will not be accepted.

hi yasser,

no it is not acceptable.

i am muslim too, and i always wonder what problem people have with showing their full face and hair in an identity photograph.

ID picture is intended to identify her, so if she wears a scarf that hides parts of her face or hair it is not an identity photo anymore!!!

if you or your wife don't agree with that, i would recommend you rethink your move stateside, as I am not sure you would be happy there!!!

PS: hiding parts of her face on an ID picture has nothing to do with religion, it is a cultural interpretation that was proven unfounded even by eminent religious scholars .

The question is focused on veils that may cover only BOTH EARS and hairline. Where did I mention covering parts of her face????

Well, I had a muslim GF planing to marry her and I don't want to talk about who needs to re-think migrating because there are a lot of point I can refer to about re-thinking. This multiculture place says to the female over 18 who wants to meet BF to use the door to leave the house not window because parents are locking it with pad lock and hiding the key or dectate who you marry to.I don't want to say more because there is no intention to offened anyone but some ideas does not blend with anything west offeres. Sorry to say that but that is what it is and you might not be one of them but the majority are. What I am basically saying is that this kind of mentality makes two sets of rules on the family,One applies when you leave the house and one when you enter the house and in some point they clash with each other in terrible way and I really appologize if I could not deliver the message the way I should or if I offended you.

As a muslim , i will request the muslim folks not to discuss further on cultural or multicultural issues. USA is the only western country where you have the scope to practice 100 % religious rights.

"Take a photo according to the instructions, cover all hairs and everything with hijab , only the ears and face will be exposed. "

However i did not find any religious opposition to this guideline. If you still have lot of confusion, please rememeber your faith is not so weak that your ear exposure in a mere single photograph will destroy your religion.

muslim or not , your wife has to expose your body to a doctor if there is any medical requirement.

Well, I had a muslim GF planing to marry her and I don't want to talk about who needs to re-think migrating because there are a lot of point I can refer to about re-thinking. This multiculture place says to the female over 18 who wants to meet BF to use the door to leave the house not window because parents are locking it with pad lock and hiding the key or dectate who you marry to.I don't want to say more because there is no intention to offened anyone but some ideas does not blend with anything west offeres. Sorry to say that but that is what it is and you might not be one of them but the majority are. What I am basically saying is that this kind of mentality makes two sets of rules on the family,One applies when you leave the house and one when you enter the house and in some point they clash with each other in terrible way and I really appologize if I could not deliver the message the way I should or if I offended you.

Sorry dude, but half of the Bible Belt lives like this. America is more than NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.

With due respect, the Bible belt are not places where we as new immigrants move to settle. We choose the liberal East Coast, West Coast, Texas and couple of few states. We always keep our head high in New York and California as muslims

With due respect, the Bible belt are not places where we as new immigrants move to settle. We choose the liberal East Coast, West Coast, Texas and couple of few states. We always keep our head high in New York and California as muslims

My point is that people who strictly want to follow their religion are plentiful in America, too.

E59th as this is a DV forum, I dont think we will continue debating on religious issues in USA. Coz I am cutting some of my busy time to help some DV applicants. You are most welcome to discuss with me over personal messages.

mh66ii,

I think you should investigate in ISLAM. judging based on your GF family is not the right way for that. there are unresonable people in any community and with any religion. Do you think you are on the right way in your life?

Dear Yaser,

my wife had full hijab and we have been selected for DV-2010. there is no need to expose ears or hair.

Just believe in ALLAH. That's enough for us.

Goodluck

mh66ii,

I think you should investigate in ISLAM. judging based on your GF family is not the right way for that. there are unresonable people in any community and with any religion. Do you think you are on the right way in your life?
Why some of you trying to twist what I have tried to say and now this one says if I think I am in the right way. I don't know if I am in right way or wrong way but I am deffinitly completly comfortable with what I pick and chose even if it is wrong and what you call wrong about me, might really be wrong but again does not make me uncomfortable. Don't you get it? Again and again and again, If society makes you uncomfortable and your exsitance set two or more sets of rules for the people around you specially love ones, Stay away from itno matter if you are Muslim, Christian,Jews, buddiest or non beliver like me. How hard is that to understand? I am talking about society and impact of your action here not religion. Do you get it? This is the last comment I am writing here because some of people twist the facts blindly, in the name of supporting nonsense and throw their religion in the front and try to defend it and get in the front of the line to reach heaven. This is not about religion it's about how you are in the society with the complete diffrent mentality. It was not Islam killing 16 years old and stuff her on the suitcase in UK, it is her father and brother. It was not Islam treating to kill 17 years old girl and she had to find refuge in Orlando court, was the girls parents.Is not Islam burning the whole house down and kill the wife and two kids because of wife filled for divorse, It was the husband, It was not Islam cutting head of wife in radio broadcaste studio in New york it was the husband, because wife asked for divorse.I think you are right They should have investigate in ISLAM and find out that Islam might never have allowed such an action but they did it and were very proud of it.This kind of crazyness diffinetly happenes with other people who even do not have religion but for other seriouse reasons and still try to hide it and do not try to glorify their action.
Guess what? The diffrence is these people announce or go to police proudly and confess the killing and are very proud of what they have done.
You are right, there are unresonable people in any community but the real question is that what will we do in similar situation? Remain reasonable? or do what they did in the same manner? I am sure it won't make me to do something crazy like that and I will remain reasonable and that is the right thing for you and any other to do too.
Your God bless you and I don't need to be blassed by any God.

Kido, mh66ii

Excuse me, the US is a multicultural place where are cultures and religions are living peacefully. I believe anyone who won't respect the right of others to wear whatever they want, those are the ones who should re-think about migrating to the US.

Yaser,

Your question was about ID picture.
She can wear whatever she wants in her life there, but the ID picture needs to identify her. Covering any part of her face including ears will disqualify her.

Again, I don't see the point of covering on an ID picture, this has nothing to do with the religious requirements of modesty and privacy in social situations. An ID picture is just an ID picture, i.e. a picture designed to identify her. And self righteous Egyptian extremism has nothing to do with religion.

According to the Islamic religion, women are obliged to wear head scarfs which covers hair. Those coverings will also cover both ears and the hair line.

Excuse me, that's one interpretation of "Islam". You are free to believe in what you want, I do not care, since you are a free man, but please, do not interfere in my freedom, such way, generalizing and saying things that are not true.

I am a Muslim, my wife Muslim too, I work, she works, and she does not cover her head nor her body to be Muslim.

You should know that this topic has been under discussion for years, because it is not clear, and it has been imposed by social traditions rather than religion.

So please, your question should have been formulated this way:

According to my personal interpretation of the Islamic religion, women are obliged to wear head scarfs which covers hair. Those coverings will also cover both ears and the hair line.

When you generalize you are including me and others into your "group", which is against my FREEDOM, our FREEDOM.

Thanks.