• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Photo question

Yeah even in the first time you were selected, you ought to have gone ahead. If KCC didn't detect it, what the business of the Embassy? The latter do not have an idea.

No, he was smart not to proceed. The Embassy is passed a file from the KCC about suspect candidates manipulating the system and dishonestly or fraudulently attempting to acquire a visa. This person would have been caught as seventy five(!) entries is a ridiculous and obvious amount to try to cheat with. The disqualification is always done by the CO after applicant had paid over the amount required to process the visa and his fingerprints taken. The KCC cannot adjudicate a case, it’s not their job. The KCC can only remove exact duplicates which was not the situation here if this person used multiple names, albeit with the same picture.

Hi, everyone. I am a new member of this forum. I have a burning question, and I'll so much appreciate if I can receive a correct answer to it.

In 2004/2005, a friend of my submitted about 75 entries during the visa lottery registration with different names but same photo. One of the entries was selected and he continued to process it until an interview appointment was scheduled for him in 2006, at the embassy in Lagos. For fear that he might be disqualified and his fingerprint taken, he decided to forgo the interview, and since 2006, he has been submitting a single entry for himself during the registration period. As fate would have it, my friend was reselected in DV-2013, and we are confused whether he should process it or not. Please, is there any hope of success if he decides to process it? We'll be very happy if we can be provided with detailed information his fate if he ventures into it.

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to hearing from you.

The question is, will his past fraudulent activity in 2004/5 affect his ability to pursue a chance for a visa in 2012? As your friend probably knows by now the rules say an applicant is prohibited from entering more than one entry during the registration period in the same fiscal year. The rules also state that:

“[...] The Department of State employs technology and other means to identify individuals who submit multiple entries during the registration period. People submitting more than one entry will be disqualified [and] an electronic record will be permanently maintained by the Department of State.” (page 9).

This has been the case since at least DV-2005 when electronic submissions first began, so basically back in the year 2003. In other words, your friend has almost certainly been recorded because his attempts were really obvious, which means in a way he has nothing to lose (other than hundreds of US dollars, not including criminal background check/health appointments etc) in trying to proceed, but chances are will then face the consequences of his past actions.

joke appart, same photo as last year might get you disqualified... They state in the rules that same pictire as last year will disqualify the entrant... Now, are they actualy doing it? Another question... If they do, that means they do keep every single picture we submit

They don't even need to keep the photos. The file contains the date it was created. Then it is very easy for them to sort by date and eliminate the photos with date older than 6 months.

Oh I just remember that I read on another forum, a woman she won the lottery this year but she registered through a third party company 3 years ago. She paid this company to register the lottery for 5 years. I don't know the detail but if she sent only one photo it means they don't really check the photographs.

In my opinion using the same picture two years in a row could be an issue, but whether or not they decide to deny your application is not a certainty. If you still look very much like the guy in the picture, a sympathetic consular officer might allow it. It is important that the rules says "...failure to comply with any of the following requirements may result in disqualification from the lottery...", which is different from "will result in disqualification". It means the consular officer can exercise judgment.

In my opinion using the same picture two years in a row could be an issue, but whether or not they decide to deny your application is not a certainty. If you still look very much like the guy in the picture, a sympathetic consular officer might allow it. It is important that the rules says "...failure to comply with any of the following requirements may result in disqualification from the lottery...", which is different from "will result in disqualification". It means the consular officer can exercise judgment.

Hexa in DV program one should be expecting the unexpectation cos errors or mistakes are to occur,so its not a surprise scenario.What i strongly know is that the CO still has the final judgement on this scene,either to issue the visa or to denied the visa if KCC fails to detect multiples/duplicate entries before or after the random draw to disqualify.
Entered DV 2014:Oct 18.