• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Photo for DV2009

getOut

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I got a question, some people might think it is silly:rolleyes:, regarding the photo for the DV2009. I am hoping someone could clear my confusing.

The following quote is from the DV2009 instructions: "Head of the person should cover about 50% of the area of the photograph."

Is it OK is the head actually covers more than 50%?:confused:

Thanks for your help:).

No

Hi,
I got a question, some people might think it is silly:rolleyes:, regarding the photo for the DV2009. I am hoping someone could clear my confusing.

The following quote is from the DV2009 instructions: "Head of the person should cover about 50% of the area of the photograph."

Is it OK is the head actually covers more than 50%?:confused:

Thanks for your help:).
There is actually a photo sample labelled "Head too big" on the sample photos listed at the lottery website. Slightly less than 50% may be okay.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but here goes again: 50% of the AREA of the photograph is just way too big for the head. They've got their maths wrong. If the HEIGHT of the head is exactly 50% of the height of the photograph, then the AREA will be somewhat less than 25% of the total area of the picture.

See www.kevix.org/fitypercent.jpg for an image in which the face takes up 49.5% of the total area of the picture. It must be wrong.

This is a "winning photo" from DV2008 (240*320). Made with my own digital camera.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dv2008pf9.gif

Thanks, Tazmania. This picture shows two notable things:

1. The face covers approximately 30% of the surface area of the whole photo (not 50% as stated in the information docs)

2. The length of the face is greater than that permitted for the 300 x 300 photo.

SO: Either they offer a margin of error, or you got lucky and managed to comply to some secret rules that they aren't telling anybody. I wonder which:confused:

2. The length of the face is greater than that permitted for the 300 x 300 photo.
I never talked about a 300x300 picture but your are right the face covers less than 50% but if you take a look at the instruction http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx (300x300 examples) not one of the so called "Well-Composed Photos" covers 50% from what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never talked about a 300x300 picture but your are right the face covers less than 50% but if you take a look at the instruction http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx (300x300 examples) not one of the so called "Well-Composed Photos" covers 50% from what I see.

Sure, I just meant that you can't necessarily apply the 300x300 rules to the 240x320 photo.

But you're right: none of the "well-composed" photos use 50% of the area.

Did you use any image editing software to crop your photo?

Ok, I tell you how I did it.

I took a picture with my Canon Ixus (upright format). The picture had 2592 heigth x 1944 width pixels (180 dpi resolution). That are fixed camera parameters for the mode I used.
After that it was pretty easys as 320 x 240 both have the same multilpicator to give 2592 x 1944, so just put that in into the the fields for heigth and width in Photoshop or whatever you use.

What about mine photo? Is that correct head size? Photo
It is 175 pix. head height and 193 pix. eye height.

Photo question: older by 15 days

Hi:) I read your post about the photo issue. I just noticed that the photo I submitted online with the DV on Dec 1 was the same as the one in my passport and my last US visa form.

from the date picture was taken to the date I applied for DV09 is 6mo and 15 days.

how serious this can be?

my photo that I sent with the DS230 forms to KCC is a different one (newer) and not worried about that one.