Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

guys, found something interesting on this site:

http://designed.com/Experience.aspx?ExperienceID=18

These are the main screens used in an application called CAPS, which was being used by the DOL as the workflow tool to process cases. I'm not sure they use it today, but the functionality is the same, for sure.

Supposing the way they work is similar, for every case, they have to check boxes (yes/no), and review attached docs, then the case goes to the next level of review.

If that's the story, a case could take what, 10 minutes to review/approve ... maybe more, maybe less ... suppose there's 200,000 cases still pending, some 80 people working on them ... hummmm it's not looking good.

justdoit said:
March 2006 VISA Bulletin:
INDIA EB2 - 01JAN02
INDIA EB3 - 01JAN01

next the deadly April2001 for Eb3 is approaching...!!

Heard in the previous posts that Bush claims/aims to clear the backlogs by 2007..!! I was wondering if he even knows about it..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Method to madness!

I think there is a method to the madness here!

I think the visa dates are moving at the right pace. I think they are moving upto the date where all(almost) labor certs have been cleared or are expected to be cleared in a month or so.

PBEC is the backlog center that is lagging.
I think at this point there are no certs (that can file under EB3) that are older than Jan 01
Also, all EB2 cases older than Jan '02 have been cleared.

This does put additional burden on those from Jun 02 (for EB2) whose cases have been cleared but I think as soon as BEC declares that all cases from Jun 02 have been cleared visa date will move to Jun '02.

So here's my prediction:
Starting next month, both PBEC and DOS will start moving monthly.

If your PD is

July 02 ----> expect to get labor cert in Mar and file 140/485 in Apr
Aug 02 -----> expect to get labor cert in Apr and file 140/485 in May
Sep 02 -----> expect to get labor cert in Apr and file 140/485 in Jun
and so on ....

StressTestInUSA said:
next the deadly April2001 for Eb3 is approaching...!!

Heard in the previous posts that Bush claims/aims to clear the backlogs by 2007..!! I was wondering if he even knows about it..!!

Assumptions about assumptions ...

Assuming 45 days letters stuff is done by June 2006.
Assuming there are 200000 cases pending with PBEC.
Assuming its 30 mins (even though 10 mins is enough + send ) to approve/reject a case.
Assuming there are 80 people working.
Assuming they work only 5 hours a day
Assuming they work for all 5 days a week:)

It will take: 6000000 Person Mins
100000 Person Hours
20000 Person days
250 Days
50 Weeks

Thats less than an year. They should adjudicate all cases by June 2007. Will it happen ????

Since its PBEC we should give them double amount of time as they work restless. So it will be 100 real Weeks = 50 PBEC weeks.
They should be done by June 2008 .... Will PBEC might think this is a strech goal ;)

cantstandit said:
guys, found something interesting on this site:

http://designed.com/Experience.aspx?ExperienceID=18

These are the main screens used in an application called CAPS, which was being used by the DOL as the workflow tool to process cases. I'm not sure they use it today, but the functionality is the same, for sure.

Supposing the way they work is similar, for every case, they have to check boxes (yes/no), and review attached docs, then the case goes to the next level of review.

If that's the story, a case could take what, 10 minutes to review/approve ... maybe more, maybe less ... suppose there's 200,000 cases still pending, some 80 people working on them ... hummmm it's not looking good.

INFO from hot source

Guys, this just in:

- I asked a friend of mine, who's American, and very articulate, to call a VERY high-up executive who works for the DOL in Washington, someone directly involved with the BEC's (sorry, he asked me not to name the person here).

- They had a long conversation, and the DOL executive was very friendly and very open to explain what's going on.

- I wasn't on the call, but this is the info my friend gathered:

Q) why Dallas is processing 2004 and Philly 2002 ?

A) there are 4 queues, 2 for each center. One for RIR, another for TR. The centers are NOT working together, and that was the plan from the beginning. The centers operate independently. (comment: that explains why we see the centers doing things separately)

Q) why FIFO is not being followed ?

A) FIFO IS being followed, within the 4 queues. There is no national FIFO queue. (comment: my friend didn't know how to ask about Regional versus SWA cases, but I bet they have sub-queues for that too)

Q) but that doesn't seem fair, how can we have someone from 2004 being approved before someone from 2002 ?

A) (repeat info about the 4 queues)

Q) I take it from your answer that you agree, it's not strictly FIFO, and what seem to be violations of the FIFO can easily occur ...

A) yes, that's what I'm saying ... we're working on getting the 2 centers operating more in line with each other. We expect to improve that in the next couple of months.

Q) how about PERM, being a system designed to adjudicate labor certs, why can't you convert the old applications to PERM ?

A) we thought hard about it, we commissioned a team to analyse the applications in the old system. It's just not possible, because the old labor has different information, and there's just no way to input that in the new system. We would have to have officers reviewing every single case in order to put them in the PERM system, and a very large number of them are just incomplete.

Q) ok, but how can you have 2 separate systems, where people in one system get approved faster than the backlogged applicants ?! that doesn't seem logical !

A) I agree, we thought a lot about it. The problem is, we (as a gov. agency) don't decide what to do, we're told what to do by the Congress. The PERM regulation was approved and the DOL was instructed to put it in place. But your friend can apply for PERM and he'll get it approved in 45 to 60 days ...

Q) But that's the problem, his company doesn't want to do PERM for him, because they don't want do the recruitment again ...

A) But you have to understand that the job conditions change, that's why a new recruitment is required.

Q) But it doesn't make sense ! It's the same company, same job, same employee. How can you have 2 doors to get certification, if you take door A, your recruitment is valid, if you take door B, your recruitment is NOT valid !

A) (laugh) yes, I understand ... unfortunately, that's the way it is ...

Q) When do you expect to clear the backlog ?

A) We expect to have it cleared by September/2007 and the centers will be closed.

-----

- and the DOL executive closed by saying that the DOL wants to be helpful, that applicants don't have to be fearful of them, because DOL has nothing to do with enforcement, but just deals with labor issues ...

- the DOL executive also offered to check my status, which was very nice, but that's not the point for me. I'm gonna try to establish a communication channel and gather more info, I wanna know more about their process, why they pick one state over another, etc.

- another thing: if they expect to clear by 09/2007, can we then assume that they'll spend 6 months doing 2002, 6 months doing 2003 and the final 6 months doing 2004 !?

Hope this helps.

India China
Date EB-1 EB-2 EB-3 EB-1 EB-2 EB-3
Sep-05 Sep-05 Sep-05 Sep-05 Sep-05
Oct-05 08/01/02 11/01/99 01/01/98 01/01/00 05/01/00 05/01/00
Nov-05 08/01/02 11/01/99 01/01/98 01/01/00 05/01/00 05/01/00
Dec-05 02/01/03 07/01/00 01/01/99 07/01/01 02/01/01 01/01/01
Jan-06 07/01/03 01/01/01 06/01/99 01/01/02 06/01/01 04/01/01
Feb-06 02/01/04 08/01/01 01/01/00 01/01/03 04/01/02 04/22/01
Mar-06 07/01/04 01/01/02 01/01/01 07/01/03 07/01/02 05/01/01

ariesny1 said:
Can anyone please tell what were the dates for EB 2 and EB 3 in Feb bulletin ?

Thanks

re:BEC

My lawyer and I received a letter that my ETA 750 has been forwarded to Backlog Elimination Center...I know that my future emploeer has to respond as soon as possible. What does it mean as it comes to the progress of my case. Is it a good news that I received this letter??? Did it muve my case ahed.
Thanks in advance
PARADISO79

cantstandit said:
Guys, this just in:

- I asked a friend of mine, who's American, and very articulate, to call a VERY high-up executive who works for the DOL in Washington, someone directly involved with the BEC's (sorry, he asked me not to name the person here).

cantstandit:

I got similar kind of crap when I shot an email to Stefanko and cc'd it to Chao and all the bastards in the DOL hierarchy...the response I got was that all RIR will be cleared by 09/2006 and all the TRs will be approved by 09/2007.

These are the official dates and we need to make them accountable. We need to keep pressure on them and keep sending out emails.

These idiots do not realize how stupid they sound when they say that they are following FIFO but there is no nationwide FIFO...

Today's word is ACCOUNTABILITY...let's take them to task about what they say.

Keep calling the bastards and let them know that you expect the backlog to be cleared by 09/2007.

Take care.

2002calabor said:
I think there is a method to the madness here!

I think the visa dates are moving at the right pace. I think they are moving upto the date where all(almost) labor certs have been cleared or are expected to be cleared in a month or so.

PBEC is the backlog center that is lagging.
I think at this point there are no certs (that can file under EB3) that are older than Jan 01
Also, all EB2 cases older than Jan '02 have been cleared.

This does put additional burden on those from Jun 02 (for EB2) whose cases have been cleared but I think as soon as BEC declares that all cases from Jun 02 have been cleared visa date will move to Jun '02.

So here's my prediction:
Starting next month, both PBEC and DOS will start moving monthly.

If your PD is

July 02 ----> expect to get labor cert in Mar and file 140/485 in Apr
Aug 02 -----> expect to get labor cert in Apr and file 140/485 in May
Sep 02 -----> expect to get labor cert in Apr and file 140/485 in Jun
and so on ....

Wow, lot of cool information. Also thanks cantstandit for elaborate comments about what DOL executive thinks.

We got this kind of promises thousand times. Their accountability is even less than Tyco ousted bastard (I even wont try to pronounce his name, biggest crook on the world he and Enron jokers). If DOL is so sure, why fuck they don't publish it on their useless website.

These people are executives, and you know what government executives do, talk nonsense and we are naive enough to believe their rant.

Stupid Stephen Sucks big time. If we sit idly, we will be discussing same thing come 9/2007. Last year I predicted that nothing is gonna move and here we are after 9 months. I even remember people were so hopeful, they were expecting to get their labor approved after then come back from 2005 summer vacation. I predicted retrogression will slowly fade away and thats what happened: EB2 Jan 02, EB3 Jan 01 for India. I was first to speak loudly against
that selfish paralegals who exploited us to support their means (once the bill is reject, you don't see them here). So believe me, if you come to this forum, read the posts and go back to your work without participating, you will be following this thread for long long time.

I appreciate Tanveer, Saknia, cantstandit, labordrags, yahoo group, immigrationvoice... and many more for their efforts. People, please support them.

sick_of_waiting said:
cantstandit:

I got similar kind of crap when I shot an email to Stefanko and cc'd it to Chao and all the bastards in the DOL hierarchy...the response I got was that all RIR will be cleared by 09/2006 and all the TRs will be approved by 09/2007.

These are the official dates and we need to make them accountable. We need to keep pressure on them and keep sending out emails.

These idiots do not realize how stupid they sound when they say that they are following FIFO but there is no nationwide FIFO...

Today's word is ACCOUNTABILITY...let's take them to task about what they say.

Keep calling the bastards and let them know that you expect the backlog to be cleared by 09/2007.

Take care.
Since the very establishment BECs asked two years. As the time was passing by so that was their promise. (with the slight variations, like 24-30) months.
Now again they say they need till the end of 2007 to clear the backlog.
It's a never ending story.

Don't you think that live people work for BECs ? They don't want to look for new jobs after the contract ends. Somebody wants to get retired peacefully, somebody just like being a judge of other's souls.

I guess lawyers also are interested in keeping the backlog as long as possible.
Don't you think they can lobby the government to complicate the processing?
How else one can explain 45 day letters for example?

Amazingly when the H1-B visa cap was 195,000 the DOL processing time was at the most 3 months. When it fell to 65,000 the processing abruptly halted.
Why? Because what would 2/3 of DOL personnel do? What 2/3 of employment immigration lawyers would do? They say that 245(i) was to blame. Really? But they did not process a single case out of those 245(i) applications.
In fact there were 145,000 245(i) cases. Add to that all 65,000 H1-B cases you'll get 210,000. Is it much more than 195,000 they were processing in previous years without delay? Yes not every H1-B holder files a labor application. But 5 years passed and all those 145,000 245(i) could painlessly be spread over these years. Never happened.

I do not believe in writing DOL and meeting with Stefanko and others and have no slightest desire to do so. The lawsuit is the only option even if we lose it.

MR CANDSIIT

I do respect you but trust me this is all bullshit nonsene and garbage stuff which we had been hearing for a long time

EB3 and April 2001

GotGC?? said:
India China
Date EB-1 EB-2 EB-3 EB-1 EB-2 EB-3
Dec-05 02/01/03 07/01/00 01/01/99 07/01/01 02/01/01 01/01/01
Jan-06 07/01/03 01/01/01 06/01/99 01/01/02 06/01/01 04/01/01
Feb-06 02/01/04 08/01/01 01/01/00 01/01/03 04/01/02 04/22/01
Mar-06 07/01/04 01/01/02 01/01/01 07/01/03 07/01/02 05/01/01

Notice EB3 dates for China traversed April 2001 in two months. Can we expect India EB3 too to move effortlessly? Does anybody have statistics on how many applications were from China and India for the Apr 2001 amnesty program? Anyone dare to hazard when the EB3 line will reach July, Aug 2002?

cantstandit said:
Guys, this just in:

Q) why Dallas is processing 2004 and Philly 2002 ?

A) there are 4 queues, 2 for each center. One for RIR, another for TR. The centers are NOT working together, and that was the plan from the beginning. The centers operate independently. (comment: that explains why we see the centers doing things separately)

Very nice cantstandit. Thanks for the very useful efforts.
If it happens that your friend manages to speak to the person again the first question would be: How come Dallas managed to process 3 times more cases than Philadelphia. I see that official was laughing a lot. Why not? I guess they laugh at each letter we send them.

On the second thought...
cantstandit said:
FIFO IS being followed, within the 4 queues
Yeah, That's why we see 2001 RiR cases in the queue while June 2002 cases are being approved.
He is plainly lying. Not worthy spending a long distance phone fee .

Note that China had the advantage of a 1/2001 EB3 date to begin with, where as India had retrogressed to 1998. EB3 India has come a long way, but everybody say that 4/2001 is the criical point.

My question is: isn't the 4/2001 mainly to do wth the 245(i) case? I understand a vast majority of the 245(i) cases are from people born in Mexico, and not too many from India or other parts of the world. In that case, it may affect the Mexico EB3, but will it affect the India EB3 as badly? Note that China has already crosses this threshold.

I hope someone can explain this for the benefit for most of us...

MannyD said:
Notice EB3 dates for China traversed April 2001 in two months. Can we expect India EB3 too to move effortlessly? Does anybody have statistics on how many applications were from China and India for the Apr 2001 amnesty program? Anyone dare to hazard when the EB3 line will reach July, Aug 2002?

Cantstandit..

Thanks for your effort and mostly your friend's effort..who took the pain to understand all this messy process of GC and how we are screwed...

If you ever get a chance again for this kind of 'talk' to happen..please ask him we an 'online case status check' for our cases...to know in how much deep waters we stand...!!

On the other hand cantstandit..in the letter you drafted I think it is a good idea to ask for a 'online case status' for our application..(which they may come back with a 'no..we need to have a s/w linked to the database etc,no funds,no time '...) something similar to the USCIS application status....

This is a very valid point we r asking to keep things transparent to us...!!

Case Status Info Query

greynicolls said:
On January 24th my boss sent an email to the H1B7YR@PHI.DFLC.US e-mail for my case status, and on the same day i sent one to Info@PHI.DFLC.US.

On 25th Jan we got a screen shot from the H1B7YR@PHI.DFLC.US, and my case number was T-05130-XXXX.

On 9th Feb to my surprise i received a reply from the Info@PHI.DFLC.US, and now my case number is P-05130-XXXX.

So maybe the data has now been fully entered.

I am posting this information so maybe this will give some of u gurus some idea of the speed at which they are presently working, and maybe u can add your two cents to the situation.

PD: 12/2002
EB2
RIR
NY

Can some one take time out to comment on this please

thanks

tanveer666 said:
Folks

The Pbec will be focussing on entering data and issuing 45 days letter till june2002. they will be least concern about the approval so pls cool down

Guys who have PD JULY2002 onwards starting expoloring new options

BECAUSE THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR THESE CASES TO BE APPROVED BY THE END OF 2007

JUNE 2002 CASES WILL BE APPROVED BY 2007

CASES FROM JUNE2002-DECEMBER2002 WILL BE APPROVED BY 2009

2003 CASES WILL BE APPROVED BY 2012

2004 CASES BY 2014

2005 CASES BY 2015

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU

TANVEER
I think you meant June 2006. And also, I feel you are totally depressed. I guess we all are depressed. I have seen some people advising you not to vent out your depression with your projections. Some of your predictions might be true but this one doesn't seem to be realistic.

Your feelings are totally understandable but please try to calm down and be realistic. Just look at your prediction..You have gone way too far...Worth a laugh but not in a mood since almost 3 years.

I hope you get your labor pain off your chest and have a great year ahead.

Good Luck All.