PGY2 Resident with expired EAD, I-765 pending - I was terminated?!?

supa1976

Hello all,

I am a US med school grad, did intern year on F1-OPT with promise from residency program of an H1B. When it came time to apply they changed their minds, and would only to do J1!

So... having just been married to a US citizen, we decided to do the greencard via marriage route. Now I have my I-485 and I-765 filed, and am awaiting my new EAD. Unfortunately, as all of this happened at the last minute, my last EAD from the the F1 OPT, has expired, and so my residency program had to 'terminate me' and will re-hire me once I have EAD again.

However, now they are saying that per ACGME, they have to 'advertise for an open PGY-2 spot' in my program, and possibly hire someone to fill my spot if I don't get EAD 'within the next few weeks' but they 'cannot control if I will get my spot back.' ???

Has anyone had any experience with this? It is a very specific situation, so cannot find any answers online!

Do I have any alternatives to be allowed to work waiting for an EAD via the route above?

Thanks,
supa

Last edited by a moderator:
That does seem like a dicy situation, I am sorry but I haven't dealt with something like that before. Keep scouring the net for answers, good luck. There might be some immigration attorneys who specialize in this.

That does seem like a dicy situation, I am sorry but I haven't dealt with something like that before. Keep scouring the net for answers, good luck. There might be some immigration attorneys who specialize in this.
Can't you renew your EAD that you had previously from f1 ?