Petition for Spouse

Bubble12

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

First of all I would to thank everyone and this forum for all the help I was provided. Last week I was naturalized. Timeline is as follows

N-400 applied in Vermont Center on April'07
Fingerprinting May'07
Interview Letter June'08
Interview July'08
Oath Ceremony July'08

Now I have a question: I am getting ready to petition for my spouse. Please guide me as to what is the procedure once I send my application to Chicago. Spouse lives outside of US. Will the spouse be interviewed and how he will notified of the interview and what all documents he has to take for the interview.

Thanks once again.

You are probably better off reading the stickies over in the Family Based GC forum.

Basically there are two "legal" options, and a third method that might or might not work, but is usually quicker.

1. Apply for I-130 and also I-129F for K-3 visa. Once K-3 is approved, your spouse enters the US, and applies for I-485. K-3 processing time: 6-9 months?

2. Apply for I-130 and then go through consular processing (CP). Once the DS-230 immigrant visa is approved, your spouse enters the US and automatically receives a GC. Processing time: approx 9 months.

3. Spouse arrives on tourist visa and subsequently files I-130/I-485. Not strictly legal (although frequently successful), but highly dependent on the spouse actually being granted admission to the US by CBP at PoE.

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would to thank everyone and this forum for all the help I was provided. Last week I was naturalized. Timeline is as follows

N-400 applied in Vermont Center on April'07
Fingerprinting May'07
Interview Letter June'08
Interview July'08
Oath Ceremony July'08

Now I have a question: I am getting ready to petition for my spouse. Please guide me as to what is the procedure once I send my application to Chicago. Spouse lives outside of US. Will the spouse be interviewed and how he will notified of the interview and what all documents he has to take for the interview.

Thanks once again.

Information can be found at:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2993.html

You are probably better off reading the stickies over in the Family Based GC forum.

Basically there are two "legal" options, and a third method that might or might not work, but is usually quicker.

1. Apply for I-130 and also I-129F for K-3 visa. Once K-3 is approved, your spouse enters the US, and applies for I-485. K-3 processing time: 6-9 months?

2. Apply for I-130 and then go through consular processing (CP). Once the DS-230 immigrant visa is approved, your spouse enters the US and automatically receives a GC. Processing time: approx 9 months.

3. Spouse arrives on tourist visa and subsequently files I-130/I-485. Not strictly legal (although frequently successful), but highly dependent on the spouse actually being granted admission to the US by CBP at PoE.

It is a short version of what actually is.

#3, I doubt if such a thing happens for anyone, If you are a resident in the US your spouse automatically will be an intent immigrant and won't be able to get any non-immigrant visa unless the embassy doesn't know how to process such a case (which is very usual from USCIS)

Option 3 will be DCF which is Direct Consular Filing, and you have to meet the certain requirements.

Good Luck

Good website from department of state but it doesn't cover all the rules and it needs more interpretation.
As I have told everyone here, K3 visa might not be the best choice for all of the applicants, especially with new systems it has lots of negative sides.

Admin, could your organize the Family base Greencard section or probably sub-catagorize them? Please?

i applied i-130 for my spouse based on my GC status. after my citizenship, i'll upgrade to usc status.

questio i have is, can she apply for business visa thru multinational compnay from india?what are her chances of gettig business visa while her application is pending?

Citizen_Dec2007, my understanding is that when you have an immigrant petition pending before USCIS, you cannot get any other visa, incl. a tourist/business visa. She will have to declare that an immigration petition is pending for her.