Petition against mandatory renunciation of so called "Indian" citizenship

pgoelpio

I would like to draw your attention to forced renunciation of so called “Indian citizenship” by Government of India. How does one renounce “Indian” citizenship that one does not have upon acquiring any other country's citizenship. Also this renunciation is being forced by Indian Government when you apply for Indian visa/PIO or OCI card. If Indian passport needs to be surrendered to prevent misuse, there should be Passport Surrender Form designed by Indian government and not this forced and mandatory renunciation of Indian citizenship, the citizenship which one does not have in first place.

You can sign this petition. PM me to get site's address.

how about you publish the link to the site right here.. would be much easier for folks as well as you.

Stupid Desi Govt thinking.... and 175 bucks for this????. Money Money Money thats all....... They should just allow "Dual citizenship".

Please start a new petition to not consider OCI as a "Visa"

1. When one gains foreign citizenship one automatically loses indian citizenship then why one needs to renounce indian citizenship before applying for OCI?

2. Secondly why could not the Indian governement just ask for surrender of indian passports & issue OCI to "eligible" people if it did not want to give "full rights" to "dual citizens"? Wouldn't this method have been easy? i.e just take current indian passport & give OCI to eligible people by charging some fees.

Now OCI is just a "visa" and PIO's will have no rights to go back if OCI is cancelled for some reasons isn't that risky? like many may be having false 498a cases registered etc and being a criminal offense they could loose their OCI if they did not mention it etc when applying?or if found out later or even when applying back for Indian citizenship.

Of course for those who don't want to go back ever there is no problem but for those who plan to return later it is definately a problem as they are could be loosing their rights even to their go/visit their country of birth/parents if OCI is cancelled for some reasons.

Also tomorrow if world recession takes place (say 20-30 years from now -no one knows what could happen 20-30 years from now) & if PIO are in a country where they could face backlash from locals due to unemployments etc then it will be difficult for PIO to return to India if their OCI is cancelled for some reasons

Also by renouncing Indian citizenship and if tomorrow some radical party like shiv sena comes to power & they say you betrayed us by taking foreign citizenship etc and if they change laws it will be difficult to go back/gain Indian citizenship later for PIO's in backalsh hit countries.

I think the OCI is a mockery and all people should urge the Indian governemnt to grant OCI not as a "visa" but as a citizenship with limited rights.

Those who feel I am right should petition the Indian governemnt /PM to consider OCI not as a "visa" but as a citizenship with limited rights with the right to get back full citizenship later (as it is now --after 5 years with one year stay in India --that is OK) but OCI should not be considered as a "VISA"

Atleast if one is partial citizen they can appeal any decision in India court but with "visa" they are "helpless". Indian courts will not take their case as they not Indian citizens but "Visa holders"

Also in other countries when changing a procedure/rule etc public opinion is sought and time is given but in India any rules can change anytime without notice and those who are considering opting for foreign citizenship with the hope that they can regain Indian citizenship after 5 years of OCI will find themselves nowhere if suddenly the rules are changed and as they are not citizens but visa holders they cant appeal in courts also

Also why should one renounce Indian citizenship when citizenship law says thay one automatically looses Indian citizenship on gaining another so why should I renounce? Tomorrow if some radical government comes they will say...... see your signature you have already renounced your citizenship hence the Indian govt should just take back Full Indian passport and give OCI to eligible people without renouncing etc

Hence please petition the prime minister/Indian goverment to consider OCI not as a "visa" and keep the procedure simple - ie take back full indian passport and give partial Indian passport ie OCI to eligible persons with option to regain full citizenship after 5 years as it is now

Jai Hind

Retrospective Requirement of completion of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

The fees requirement was withdrawn after a petition with 30,000 signature were sent to PM.

We should organize a similar petition for this retrospective requirement.

There was no requirement for completion of renunciation form until now.

We are willing to surrender our Indian Passport. Offering dual citizenship as OCI card and completing Renunciation at the same time is rather conflicting and absurd.

The OCI is a Citizen of Indian with limited Right otherwise with the current requirements, the whole purpose of dual citizenship is destroyed.

THE ISSUE IS MAKING THIS RETROSPECTIVE.

I sent an email to the Consular in SFO - Sushmita and there is absolutely no response.

Please contact me at and lets come together and make this request.

Last edited by a moderator:
One needs rights to return, with OCI as a visa that right could be taken off as it is a visa

Hi All,

Please tell me the email address or to whom the petition is to be directed. I would like to start a petition. To whom was the petition that contained 30000 signature addressed? ie an email address or what??

See what happended in kazakhstan (civil unrest) recently it could happen in any country. Also we have invested heavily in property in India. Tomorrow if some fighting takes place with your neighbour in India (land dispute etc) he can lodge an false criminal complaint and then your return will become difficult see how many false 498a cases are lodged. So I feel OCI should not be considered as a visa, as a visa can be cancelled any time and then returning will be difficult.

We have our parents/brothers/sisters in India. Most of us have come here with wife & children. So we need some security.

Current OCI does not offer any security as it is just a visa

Regards,

Hi All,

Please tell me the email address or to whom the petition is to be directed. I would like to start a petition. To whom was the petition that contained 30000 signature addressed? ie an email address or what??

See what happended in kazakhstan (civil unrest) recently it could happen in any country. Also we have invested heavily in property in India. Tomorrow if some fighting takes place with your neighbour in India (land dispute etc) he can lodge an false criminal complaint and then your return will become difficult see how many false 498a cases are lodged. So I feel OCI should not be considered as a visa, as a visa can be cancelled any time and then returning will be difficult.

We have our parents/brothers/sisters in India. Most of us have come here with wife & children. So we need some security.

Current OCI does not offer any security as it is just a visa

Regards,

Well Said. This is was in my mind for long period. I well come your decision. I will support you.
Security is important to stay with our parents and property. Imagine, once become 65 years or retired , we may think to stay in India with relatives.
What is the guarantee of OCI policy will not change and affect to stay in India for long periods.

Last week I saw in Indian newspaper (Indian Express) Indian Prime Minister gave proposal for getting Vote from foreign citizen. They are going to submit to parliament by next week for approval.

Hence, this is the time to send petition to GOI and get security of stay in India without fear.

According to the rules of the forum, I cannot post URLs until I have 15 posts.

Csekar, only Indian citizens living abroad having NRI status will be allowed to vote.

Here is the text of the petiton I created.

To: Prime Minister's Office, India
Dr. Manmohan Singh
Prime Minister of India
New Delhi

I would like to draw your attention to forced renunciation of so called “Indian citizenship” by Government of India. How does one renounce “Indian” citizenship that one does not have upon acquiring any other country's citizenship. Also this renunciation is being forced by Indian Government when you apply for Indian visa/PIO or OCI card. If Indian passport needs to be surrendered to prevent misuse, there should be Passport Surrender Form designed by Indian government and not this forced and mandatory renunciation of Indian citizenship, the citizenship which one does not have in first place.

Renunciation or Termination of Indian Citizenship

Section 8 of Indian Citizenship Act 1955 talks about renouncing Indian citizenship by a person having dual citizenship, citizenship of India and of another country.

Renunciation of citizenship

Section 8. If any citizen of India of full age and capacity, who is also a citizen or national of another country, makes in the prescribed manner a declaration renouncing his Indian citizenship, the declaration shall be registered by the prescribed authority; and, upon such registration, that person shall cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that if any such declaration is made during any war in which India may be engaged, registration thereof shall be withheld until the Central Government otherwise directs.

So, who is to renounce citizenship: any citizen of India who is also a citizen or national of another country. No person of Indian origin in the US, Canada or any other country has ever been a citizen of India and at the same time citizen of some other country, i.e., dual citizen. So, if persons of Indian origin in the US, Canada, etc. are not holding two citizenships simultaneously, what are they supposed to renounce.

Section 9 of Indian Citizenship Act 1955 talks about Indians losing Indian citizenship on acquiring citizenship of the country of their residence.
Section 9.

Termination of citizenship. Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration or otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act voluntarily acquired, the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India.

The citizenship of India is terminated on acquiring citizenship of US, Canada or any other country as per Section 9. So, no dual citizenship, no renunciation.

And where does it say (in Section 9) that the newly naturalized person is to fill any form for automatically terminated citizenship. Section 8 however says, “prescribed manner a declaration renouncing his Indian citizenship” but it is for people who hold two citizenships simultaneously. Persons of Indian origin who voluntarily acquire citizenship of any other country are covered under termination of citizenship under Section 9.

The Indian Consulate form for "Renunciation of Indian citizenship" starts with "Declaration of Renunciation of citizenship made by a citizen of India who is also a citizen or national of another country." Why Indians who ceased to be Indian citizens on naturalization or acquiring citizen of any other country, are required to fill this form. This form is for those who are Indian citizens as well as citizens of any other country.

If the idea is to put stamp of cancellation on the old Indian passport, a new form has to be designed. Surrendering passport, valid or invalid, should not be a problem then.

Anybody who is signing the current form to renounce Indian citizenship is doing so incorrectly and maybe illegally. It amounts to renouncing something which a person does not have.

If the Government of India is considering Indians who got naturalized or acquired some other country’s citizenship, as citizens of India, why those people have to apply for a visa to go to India? Indian citizens living abroad do not require any visa to visit or go back to their own country. Also this renunciation is mandatory or forced by Government of India and not under one’s own free will and it is not voluntary, i.e., it is mandatory to fill this form if you are a person of Indian origin and want visa to travel to India.

I would like you to reconsider this decision of mandatory renunciation of Indian citizenship that one does not have in the first place.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mate right to vote is not that important... right to entry is more important

Dear All American Indians,

Dont be a kanjoos for $175 what is more important than $175 is right to return to motherland/place of birth. I feel that is more important than $175. Comeon you are earning in thousands and dont cry for some nominal fee. Come together in thousands and fight for your right to entry than $175 fee protests

OCI does not offer any security as it is visa whereas a citizenship even in limited form gaurantees right of return.

Please petition GOI and spread this message to as many forums as possible so that some action is taken before next bhartiya pravasi divas.

Create a common petition and give the url links to every forum you know so that this message spreads and pressure is brought on GOI before next pravasi divas.

ACT NOW!!! If you go to a hotel/pub with friends you spend $175 or more here you are taking about your rights to return to motherland which OCI does not currently offer as OCI is a visa and a visa can be cancelled any time.

So please spread this message. write emails/send mass emails to all your friends so atleast some awareness is generated about this (rather than that $175 protest)

Jai Hind

Dear All American Indians,

Dont be a kanjoos for $175 what is more important than $175 is right to return to motherland/place of birth. I feel that is more important than $175. Comeon you are earning in thousands and dont cry for some nominal fee. Come together in thousands and fight for your right to entry than $175 fee protests

OCI does not offer any security as it is visa whereas a citizenship even in limited form gaurantees right of return.

Please petition GOI and spread this message to as many forums as possible so that some action is taken before next bhartiya pravasi divas.

Create a common petition and give the url links to every forum you know so that this message spreads and pressure is brought on GOI before next pravasi divas.

ACT NOW!!! If you go to a hotel/pub with friends you spend $175 or more here you are taking about your rights to return to motherland which OCI does not currently offer as OCI is a visa and a visa can be cancelled any time.

So please spread this message. write emails/send mass emails to all your friends so atleast some awareness is generated about this (rather than that $175 protest)

Jai Hind

Right to vote for foreign citizen other than NRI, may bring it in future for dual citizenship. This may help stay in India to stay with security. These are all predictions only. Now Indian govt. understand the population of foreign citizen, they are trying to increase more vote bank other than local peoples.
We need to send our petitions to GOI for dual citizenship.

Petition against retrospective mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship

I am willing to lead this effort to get an attorney to draft a petition and get some media attention to this unjust retrospective mandatory renunciation requirement.

Please, lets do something to together!

Renunciation and OCI is conflicting and more so doing this retrospectively is unfair and unjust.

I also wrote to GOPIO.com who started the earlier petition and got $175 fee to be revoked but no reply.

Anyway I put up the petition on at petitiononline.com/indrenun

If you want to suggest any changes please do so before signing then I can delete the current petition and replace with a new one.

I have signed the petitions. Let me know if you need anything else. The real question is if we can pressurize the government to adopt real dual citizenship. That would be awesome.

The real question is if we can pressurize the government to adopt real dual citizenship.

I think rolling back of surrender fee of 175 $ for people who already naturalized (retroactive enforcement of rules) was an easy one as it was wrong prima facie.

What you are asking for (and what I also want) is an order of magnitude more difficult. It is not going to happen by petitions. What it will take is
A) serious lobbying to the major parties
B) lobbying to "MULTIPLE" parties, so that if one party fixes it, the other party should not make it an issue of national pride and make it us vs them to win votes
C) propaganda to Indian public to say that these PIOs are our "brethren". Yes, they went away, but ...
D) paisa, paisa, paisa

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

We can begin any effort for dual citizenship, it is a paradigm shift. It will take time.

What we can accomplish immediately is the OCI card without Renunciation of Citizenship form. They can create a new passport surrender form.

This requirement was put in retrospect and was just implemented.

Dear Friends,

Please support the petition opposing renunciation of Indian citizenship at

http://www.petitiononline.com/OCIpeti/petition.html

with the subject: Opposition to mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship and request to consider OCI as a "standalone" document and make it a success by posting atleast 50000 signatures by July 15 2010.

Please circulate this url to all your friends by email.

Regards,

Deepak