• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Personal assets required to obtain Visas

Ricco

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

In DV2012 Instructions FAQ we can read:

IF I AM SUCCESSFUL IN OBTAINING A VISA THROUGH THE DV PROGRAM, WILL THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ASSIST WITH MY AIRFARE TO THE UNITED STATES, PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO LOCATE HOUSING AND EMPLOYMENT, PROVIDE HEALTHCARE, OR PROVIDE ANY SUBSIDIES UNTIL I AM FULLY SETTLED?
No, applicants who obtain a DV are not provided any type of assistance such as airfare, housing assistance, or subsidies. If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States.

My question is: How much ($) personal assets they usually require to the applicants?

Anyone here who received the Diversity Visa in the past know how much assets (valued in Dollars) they asked?

not mentioned, apparently, 5000$ is enough... if u have a job when u get to the interview, it is even better because they know u could save money before going

jayo2k, Do you know this by your own experience?

5000$ is high to people in underdeveloped countries who doesn't have already any friend or relative in USA to present an Affidavit of Support. I live in Portugal, and $5000 is at minimum an entire year of savings to a person with a low-paying job. Not easy.

jayo2k, Do you know this by your own experience?

5000$ is high to people in underdeveloped countries who doesn't have already any friend or relative in USA to present an Affidavit of Support. I live in Portugal, and $5000 is at minimum an entire year of savings to a person with a low-paying job. Not easy.

In Spain, when you apply for a Resident Permit (without a job offer), you must prove you have at least 10.000,00€ in your bank account....I don't think 5000USD/year which is 3500EUR/year is a big deal for saving...

Just an example, my father has retired a year ago..he bought a house in Spain, he has two children who are permanent residents in Spain (me and my sister), who work and can support him...he went to apply for a resident permit to come here with us, and none of these proofs were good for the Spanish Consulate Agent in Tangier (Morocco), he was asked for ton on monies and guarantees, this and that...he finally is here after a huge nightmare...so ...5000USD is a JOKE.

In Portugal, minimum salary is 485 Euros/month. Most of employees in Portugal don't earn more than 600 Euros per month (less the taxes). So you take all the current expenses (utilities in Portugal are very expensive - as much as and sometimes even more than in the richest countries), all the taxes (recently government decided to get this year a huge extra tax on salaries) and you don't get too much at the end of an year of savings.

And Portugal is a developed country, now imagine a third world one. It's definitely not easy to get $5000, and not easy to get a contact on USA.

But I completely understand that life is not easy and that USA should get evidence that immigrants are not a burden to american taxpayers. And by the way, Diversity Program is an exceptional oportunity that USA give.

You would need $10,000 USD at the BARE MINIMUM... Any figure lower and prepare for a tough time to reason with the interviewer or be expected to be put on Administrative processing.

$15,000 USD or more is a reaonable amount of funds to show at the interview, it shows you have at least some income and can support yourself in the States. The United States does not care which country you come from, they want your money and if you have enough you are welcomed in. If not then its going to be very tough.

I think it depends of your situation.

If you already have contacts and a job offer there, then of course I guess the consulate officer will not say anything if you just prove to have $5000..the same if you have relatives or friends there that are willing to support you...

However if you don't have anything of these...no job, no friends, no relatives,..so the question is "What are you going to do there by your own?", then the answer should be a good amount of money that proves that you can survive by yourself at least enough time to find a job...

In Portugal, minimum salary is 485 Euros/month. Most of employees in Portugal don't earn more than 600 Euros per month (less the taxes). So you take all the current expenses (utilities in Portugal are very expensive - as much as and sometimes even more than in the richest countries), all the taxes (recently government decided to get this year a huge extra tax on salaries) and you don't get too much at the end of an year of savings.

And Portugal is a developed country, now imagine a third world one. It's definitely not easy to get $5000, and not easy to get a contact on USA.

But I completely understand that life is not easy and that USA should get evidence that immigrants are not a burden to american taxpayers. And by the way, Diversity Program is an exceptional oportunity that USA give.

The minimum requirement or proof that you have the means to support yourself, whether $5000 or $10,000, is not intended to BURDEN the applicant but to ensure that the applicant's life is easier and ADJUSTS well in the USA.

If you come to the USA with a few hundred dollars, you would not last 2 weeks. The average time to get a job in the USA? At this moment? Probably a couple of months. I know several people who got laid off and still trying to look for a job.
Where are you going to stay? What are you going to eat? How are you going to get from one place to another? Cars and public transport is not cheap... and no employer is going to hire you if they think you can't get to work on time.

If you come from a low income country, then you're probably used to cheaper prices. If you don't have enough money in your bank account you might get a heart attack when you come to the US.

Not true, I know people who had not more teh $5K and did the interview without problems.

Minimum $5K + JOB, or qualifications that is likely going to get you a good job soon, maybe.
If you're jobless or have minimal qualifications, it might be harder.

I know they also take into account the region where you're going to. If you're going to Cali with now job offer, expect to have more money to show them, compared to if you would go to a rural town in Missouri.

Mana35, many thanks for your enlightening answers. Do you know this by your own experience? If so or if you know someone's case, can you tell us a little bit more about this?

Mana35, many thanks for your enlightening answers. Do you know this by your own experience? If so or if you know someone's case, can you tell us a little bit more about this?

Sorry Ricco, but I think it is up to the consulars decision on what it means to be able to support yourself and like 2012j1 said above, it could depend on which city/state you're going, whether you're employed or not, where you are from, what your education background is like, the likelihood of getting a job, even the level of English (you need to be able to speak it well to be employed).

The smoothest way is if you have a family/friend/sponsor in the US, this gives them more confidence that there will be people to help you adjust and support you financially.

The bottom line is they don't want you to become public liability, and don't want you to face hardships that you cannot afford. They need confidence. If they are confident in this, then you should have no problem getting a green card.