Permission to Leave US with GC

capetwocairo

I have a relative that applied for a GC in the US and it has been approved and will receive her card in a few weeks. However she needs to go back to her home country wrap up things like sell her house and belongings and complete her late husbands estate. She is not sure how long it will take (maybe up to a yr),
I am trying to find out what the process is, but I keep seeing conflicting articles and opinions.
1. First of all, can she leave the U.S?
2.If she can leave, for what period can she leave for?
3. What is the process if she wants to leave the U.S.. Does she need to fill in an application.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks-

From the phamlet that comes/accompany the Green card, I have seen usually

GC holder can be outside of US for not more than 12 months continously..
That period of absense will not count towards citizenship process requirements (where one needs 5 yr of stay)
If it's beyond 12 months, I think one needs to take permission from USCIS by going to their local CIS taking infopass & stamp in the passport.. (this part am not sure..)

Best thing is to make her call Rajiv this 4/23, he is holding a conf call & ask Q- this way she can have precise answer & dos/dont's.

Has she been to INS for her final interview? If so, she could have gotten her passport stamped indicating she's a PR and she can travel that way. If no passport then I suggest she waits for her gc to arrive before she leaves the US.

tell her to make infopass appointment at local uscis center, explain that she needs to travel ASAP
DO NOT FORGET TO BRING
1. PASSPORT
2. Approval letter

Thanks

Thank you all for the responses. She just got her GC in the mail yesterday. I have read where it says she can be out for no more than 12 mos without possibly losing it, but i have heard about differing opinions about that.