Permanent resident & possible divorce (need advice)

nvstorm

I married my wife (USC) in 8-2001 through fiancee-visa.

Got my 10 year GC in 9-2005.

Our son was born in 2005 in the US.

I might be heading for a divorce, it's not for sure, but the words have been said. I want to fight for my marriage with all my might. But I can't help thinking what if. I have my son here and wouldn't want to lose him by getting deported or losing my GC. I have not yet filed for citizenship because I took my time. I didn't come here for the citizenship, I came here for my wife.

I would like to know what if we are heading for divorce...

Am I going to lose my ability to stay, and see my son? Am I going to lose the chance to become citizen in the future. (which is not on my mind now)

I just want to be sure of my position, a time like this is hard enough. I would apreciate any advice.

Hi,

We have had a few divorce and naturalization/Green Card threads lately. Compared to other cases, yours seems to be pretty solid. It looks like you have had a bona fide marriage. Good luck in saving it if you have a chance. Otherwise I don't think you should have any issue with immigration, perhaps at time of naturalization the immigration officer might ask you something about your marriage or divorce, it would probably help if you start collecting and saving information supporting your life together. I think you shouldn't have any issue to either stay in the U.S. as a permanent resident or to apply for naturalization five years (minus 90 days) after having received your Green Card.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply, and yes the marriage was/is bonafide. If it was up to me the break-up will not happen. And if I didn't have my son, who is US citizen, I would probably go back from where I came. But I don't want to lose my boy who is my everything. This is the reason why I think ahead so I know how to act in certain scenarios.

I am connected with my wife for life as a co-parent regardless of what will happen, and she is a great mother. But I feel that as a father I need to know where I am at. As a husband, I need to fight for what I have. Again, thank you.

(Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. I will search for similar topic on the forum and see if I can find more information, great place and helpful people)