Permanent Resident/Passport Stamping

UnionJax

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I got my Permanent Resident card today in the mail :D which Im really happy about. The only thing I had concerns about is, I remember people saying at the interview they had their passports stamped. Do I need to get my passport stamped?? I read the piece of paper that came with the LPR card and it says nothing about this. Also can I get a different SS# card without all that "valid for work authorization" stuff on it?

Thanks

The passport stamp is meant as a temporary version of the LPR card. As cards now supposedly come within a week of getting approved, most DOs don't stamp passports any more. So no, you don't need the stamp.

Yes, you can get a new SSN without the "valid for work...." thing on it now!

Congrats on getting your Green Card.

Nope.
Passport stamp is an interim green card. They stamp passport so you have proof of LPR between approval date and green card receipt.

Once you have your green card, that's all you need.

Congratulations.

They stamp the passport as proof or residency till you receive the card. You're all set now.
Congrats!

The stamp on the passport is valid for one year compared to the I-551 validity of two years or (10 years).

The SSN card issued based on your I-551 will not have the 'valid for work' only stamp.

The only advantage that I can foresee with the stamp on the passport is that you don't have to carry the I-551 in your wallet when going abroad or travelling in US. :)http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=223082

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do you go about applying for the SSN card again? Is a new number assigned or they give you a new copy without the disclaimer for unable to work without authorization?

A SSN is for life, so you won't get a new number, just a new card. You can find the form for this on the SS web page.