Permanent Job position on CPT?

dragonad

Hello everyone,

I've a job offer for permanent position and I would like to know if I can join the company on CPT. I've seen many posts on this but no replies. Please let me know if I can do that.

Thanks

You can always start on the job with your temporary work permit but before expiration of your permit your employer has to get you a work visa like H1, without which you cannot continue your employment. How long is your permit valid?

You should avoid CPT at all costs.
CPT nowadays is a recipe for disaster, due to massive abuse by fake universities like TVU, UNVA, Herguan, ITU, etc.

You should avoid CPT at all costs.
CPT nowadays is a recipe for disaster, due to massive abuse by fake universities like TVU, UNVA, Herguan, ITU, etc.

lol. Also avoid cooking your food because fire has been misused by arsonists.

Just make sure you don't work beyond the date authorized by the cpt i20 and then make sure u get the opt dates to start right after cpt . also explain to your company the meanings of these dates.

Hello everyone,

I've a job offer for permanent position and I would like to know if I can join the company on CPT. I've seen many posts on this but no replies. Please let me know if I can do that.

Thanks
You cannot "join" a company while on CPT as it is a part of your curriculum. You can go ahead and graduate while working and start your OPT right after.

You cannot "join" a company while on CPT as it is a part of your curriculum. You can go ahead and graduate while working and start your OPT right after.

yes you can "join" the company while on CPT. "joining" a company simply means accepting employment. there is no bonded labor in the US so its not like ur company can force u to stay after the CPT period.

Go ahead and "join" the company.

yes you can "join" the company while on CPT. "joining" a company simply means accepting employment.

For the record, CPT is strictly considered as a part of the curriculum of the student; if it is used for the sake of finding employment, making money, etc. one can easily get into trouble (i.e. out of status). The safe way of accepting employment is to go for OPT.

For the record, CPT is strictly considered as a part of the curriculum of the student; if it is used for the sake of finding employment, making money, etc. one can easily get into trouble (i.e. out of status). The safe way of accepting employment is to go for OPT.

i think you are confused about what these terms mean. both CPT and OPT are essentially time sensitive employment authorizations which the school has to approve (which means yes they need to be related to the field of study - for example you cannot work at a gas station in both if you go to school for computer science).

neither lays any restriction on whether ur on your employers payroll as contract/exempt.. etc. the only restriction is that you cannot work past the dates on the i20.

furthermore the i20 actually lists the employer and place of employment so if the school thought that it did not align with the curriculum they wouldnt issue the i20. now there is the whole issue of sham schools, but if ur from a reputed school then that doesnt apply.

i think you are confused about what these terms mean.

I am the last person who would get confused on this matter :) It seems though you are quite confused.

both CPT and OPT are essentially time sensitive employment authorizations which the school has to approve

Only CPT is approved by the school; OPT has to be authorized by USCIS.

neither lays any restriction on whether ur on your employers payroll as contract/exempt.. etc.

I didn't say they do. You can't accept "permanent" position on CPT. There are exceptions where the employer has to guarantee to sponsor an H1B visa within a year, etc. but in general, CPT is not meant to be employment for employment's sake. What you can do is to go for OPT before or after you are done with your studies to accept a "permanent" position (which is obviously not permanent but you know what I mean).

Asking school's DSO is a better way of dealing with this than seeking advice in a forum.

i think you are confused about what these terms mean.
Oh boy.
It seems you are the one who is confused here.
CPT is essentially dead. Using CPT, except in very limited circumstances, is nowadays a career death in the US.
Have you not heard of TVU, UNVA, Herguan, ITU, and similar frauds???

CPT is only for work required by an established curriculum. That's by law. That also means that CPT is never for a permanent position, because a permanent position can never be required by a curriculum.
Abusing CPT will result in trouble. Plain and simple.

Oh boy.
It seems you are the one who is confused here.
CPT is essentially dead. Using CPT, except in very limited circumstances, is nowadays a career death in the US.
Have you not heard of TVU, UNVA, Herguan, ITU, and similar frauds???
Please stop repeating the same nonsense as that would be confusing to people who'll read these posts in the future. CPT is alive and well. There is nothing wrong with doing an internship while studying in US. CPT is there exactly for that reason and students utilize that to gain immense experience.

CPT is only for work required by an established curriculum. That's by law. That also means that CPT is never for a permanent position, because a permanent position can never be required by a curriculum.
Abusing CPT will result in trouble. Plain and simple.

These statements are OK.

there is no such thing as a 'permanent position' so stop with that.

when ur on cpt it doesnt matter what ur employer puts you as on his payroll. full-time, contract etc.. are terms for the employer, his taxation and payroll.. show me a uscis document that says anything about these terms with relation to cpt.

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training/

oh look.. no mention of "permanence". because there is no such thing. when u accept a full time offer, people mistakenly call it permanent since the date of end is not decided. its not a guarantee that the job will be 'permanent'. what the OP wants to know if he can accept employment that is not contracted to end on a certain date. and the answer to that is yes, you can. however even though your employer doesnt not want to fix an end date, the university has fixed it based on the CPT i-20. hence u must stop working on that date for the CPT. if u have an arrangement with ur employer that he would re-hire you on your OPT and in future on your h1, great. there is nothing in uscis or ice that prevents you from accepting such employment.

i would highly recommend you guys read official documents and also understand what different employee statuses are and how they gel together.

i've been through cpt, cpt extensions, opt... the whole nine yards.

hence u must stop working on that date for the CPT. if u have an arrangement with ur employer that he would re-hire you on your OPT and in future on your h1, great. there is nothing in uscis or ice that prevents you from accepting such employment.

And that's exactly what I told; one can go on accepting a "permanent" position on OPT. You CAN'T accept a position in a company while doing CPT that will extend beyond the dates of CPT, hence the word "permanent". You CAN'T continue on being on the payroll with the hopes that you'll get your OPT anyways. And you definitely CAN'T accept any position that doesn't relate to your field of study in CPT. So here is what you CAN do: you get a position in a company while in CPT, then they "fire" you, you get your OPT, then you get re-hired. period.

Aayitrun said:
i would highly recommend you guys read official documents and also understand what different employee statuses are and how they gel together.

i've been through cpt, cpt extensions, opt... the whole nine yards.

And I would highly recommend you stop giving people lessons with authority; nobody around here are more likely familiar with these processes than I am. Apparently you went through the whole nine yards without understanding much.

yes you can "join" the company while on CPT. "joining" a company simply means accepting employment. there is no bonded labor in the US so its not like ur company can force u to stay after the CPT period.