PERM (Cost and Time)

poppyjoy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am thinking of doing PERM and I checked with a lawyer and he has quoted $4,000 for PERM +4,000 for 1-140+485...processing ...
Has anyone of the lawyers started PERM procedures.....
Can you suggest some good lawyers ...
If we file by Mar 28th, when will my labor be approved ??.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

poppyjoy said:
Hi,

I am thinking of doing PERM and I checked with a lawyer and he has quoted $4,000 for PERM +4,000 for 1-140+485...processing ...

4000+4000 is just too high, that lawyer is out of his mind. If you ready to spend that much money I would go with either Khanna or Murthy, atleast that way you won't have to worry about how your lawyer is.

paid $2000 as retianer another $1000 to do RIR. and now the lawyer is asking for another $1000 if I need to do PERM. Which is still a question whether I am going to go for PERM. As I do not want to withdraw the RIR application.
Other than that I need to pay another $3000 when he is going to file I140/I485.

poppyjoy said:
Hi,

While in the labor stage I asked around similar question to friends about the lawyers fees for the entire GC process.

Here is what I can coclude now, this is taking into account the fees for submitting the application in INS. Also I am putting all other fees to come up with a final figure for entire GC process.

Labor stage
While filing the labor
RIR
$1000 - Advertisment in the news paper
$1000 - lawyers fees for preparing the labor petition.
$300 - Lawyers fees for doing the education evaluation if you dont already have one
$1000 - Labor approval fees. This is lawyers fees again. Some lawyers take the full $2000 at the begining.

Total Labor costs for RIR - $3300

Non-RIR
$1000 - lawyers fees for preparing the labor petition.
$300 - Lawyers fees for doing the education evaluation if you dont already have one
$1000 - Advertisment cost when the state picks up the petition and instructs to do recruitment efforts.
$1500 - Lawyers fees for managing the recruitment efforts and resubmitting the papers for the recruitment efforts.
$1000 - Labor approval fees. This is lawyers fees again. Some lawyers take the full $2000 at the begining.

Total Labor costs for Non-RIR - $4800

After Labor approval
$1000 - Lawyers fees for preparing the I-140
$1000 - Lawuers fees for preparing the I-485
$900 - INS fees for applications 485/AP/EAD. Some lawyers may charge nearlyu $500 extra as lawyers fees for filing AP/EAD. I have seen most lawyers done charge extra for EAD and AP.
$400 - $500 for doing medical for submitting along with 485.

Total costs after Labor - $3400 (can go upto $4000)

Add another $200 for sending all the documents with next day FedEx, photocopies, passport size photographs etc etc.

Total GC costs Non-RIR- $4800 + $3400 + $200 = $8400
Total GC costs RIR- $3300 + $3400 + $200 = $6900

I have seen that you really cant get anything below this.
No idea about PERM. I would say it should be similar to RIR, but the lawyers will say that they have to do more work there. So add another $500 - $1000 about RIR. So $8000 for entire GC is a real thing.

Anybody thinking of hiring a different lawyer for PERM?

As all of you, I have an LC pending. Now thinking of PERM through a different lawyer. Any law or contract prevents us from doing that? Thanks.

btw, my lawyer charges $2500 for PERM for existing clients and $3000 for brand new ones.

lonely5 said:
paid $2000 as retianer another $1000 to do RIR. and now the lawyer is asking for another $1000 if I need to do PERM. Which is still a question whether I am going to go for PERM. As I do not want to withdraw the RIR application.
Other than that I need to pay another $3000 when he is going to file I140/I485.

mine worse

for RIR retainer paid $3000
now wants $3000 for PERM
$2000 on labor approval
$1000 on 140 filing
$1500 on 485 filing
$1000 on GC
crazy , even if i go to new lawyer ( this one might still charge $2000 for time spend even though labor is still piled in bottom in philly)

8000 is too high, my company charges 5000+ and I have seen most of my friends paying in the same ballpark.

5000 to 6000 with client billing is what I have seen/heard a lot around. But without client billing, it all depends on how well you know the company/attorney.

cooldesi said:
8000 is too high, my company charges 5000+ and I have seen most of my friends paying in the same ballpark.

I had talked to few lawyers : they are asking abt $4500 - $5000 as legal fees and rest like application fees + adv could cost abt $2000.so its round abt $7000 from start to finish that most reputed lawyers would charge.

H1B-GC said:
I had talked to few lawyers : they are asking abt $4500 - $5000 as legal fees and rest like application fees + adv could cost abt $2000.so its round abt $7000 from start to finish that most reputed lawyers would charge.

The ballpark amount that you suggested is right.
I would suggest to look into these extra costs when calculating the entire GC costs.
Advetisment
Education evaluation,
Recruitment efforts,
INS fees for each application for Next day delivery
Medical check for 485
All the above can easily jack up the real cost for entire GC by another $3000.

Pure Lawyers fees just for preparing the petitions for each stage will amout to $4000 - $5000.
So if you guys are hearing others say about a ballpark amount then its only the lawyers fees. Even I heard the same things when I started my GC process.

In my opition if the entire GC process costs anywhere less than $8000 then its a good deal. I dont see the costs coming down anywhere.

neocor

My Lawyer Charges $ 3200 towards his fee for the whole GC process

Initially he Charges $800 upfront and the rest on each stages. Immigration filing Charges are separate. His name is Harold Lamboley in Hamden, CT. He is very Nice and kind as a person and as well known attorney in New England area Esp in Connecticut. Lot of my friends of my batch got their GC approved thru this lawfirm Successfully.

I would strongly recommend him.

I hope this Info is useful

Thanks

would u know that does he have experience with GC for physicians, has he done some PERM cases and are these charges u said for PERM

good lawyers

My company told me to look for a good lawyer for applying Perm.Please suggest me some names of lawyers in CA.
thanks...

My understanding is that employer has to create an account for PERM and is responsible for anything done through this account. They can then designate lawyer as agent but are still responsible for anything that lawyer does.

My questions is then, does any of you have looked at try to do it yourself? This does not seem to be complicated... if you do once... rest all are the same.... maybe someone could create self help file if they have gone through this process. I myself is going to look at it.

PERM cost

I went to a lawyer who suggested that unless my company wants to spend thousands of dollars on PERM, with some research, a supervisor committed to applying for PERM and Green Card, and a decent HR department, you can do it pretty much for free, except the filing fees for the I-140 and I-485. The PERM process has pretty much made immigration lawyers obsolete in terms of labor certification other than one or two hour-long consultations to make recommendations on recruitment and job advertisement strategies. PERM is like filing an H-1B without the redundant paperwork, as long as you adhere to the recruitment regulations, which are very straightforward.

bjorn,

That is what I thought. All we need some positive experience from someone who has done it successfully.

What is your plan?

PERM cost

m_img
The do-it-yourself approach is the route that my employer is taking and what my lawyer suggested. Based on research I have done, PERM was established in order to cut down on costs and complications for employers and streamline the process. It looks much easier to file PERM than an H-1B, and my H-1B was successfully filed by my employer's HR with no lawyer consultation whatsoever. HR already knows how to recruit, so it's just a matter of following the regulations established by the DOL. The application can be downloaded for review prior to filing electronically, and the questions and information asked for are extremely straightforward and easy to answer.