Period between expiration of OPT Card and granting of H1-B visa

nirupshetty

Dear Rajiv,

I had one query regarding H-1 visa. Here it goes: I am on a F-1
visa right now doing my graduate studies. I plan to graduate in August 2004 and am looking for full time jobs right now. I needed this info so that if asked i can pass this information to potential employers. Here is the scenario that i am worried about: I plan to graduate in August and start my job in September 2004 or the earliest date. I shall apply for my OPT (optional practical training) card starting on September,1 2004 which shall allow me to work in US for 1 year i.e. September,1 2005. Even if my company wants to process my H1 visa this year i am told that as the applications for H1 visa will open in April this year it is bound to be filled by maximum May end. Is this true? Many have told me this is so
because of the H1B cap that they have put of 65,000. If this happens I will have to apply in April 2005 for October 2005 to process my H1 visa.

Here is my problem..... the period between September,1 2005 till the time get my visa processed (nearly a mont! h or two) i cannot legally work in USA but can stay here as my H1 visa is in processing stage. But my company might not agree to give me this long a break. How do you think I should overcome this problem? I needed a good convincing plan to overcome this
problem as this can be the sole reason for me not getting the job. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanking you,

Originally posted by nirupshetty
Dear Rajiv,

I had one query regarding H-1 visa. Here it goes: I am on a F-1
visa right now doing my graduate studies. I plan to graduate in August 2004 and am looking for full time jobs right now. I needed this info so that if asked i can pass this information to potential employers. Here is the scenario that i am worried about: I plan to graduate in August and start my job in September 2004 or the earliest date. I shall apply for my OPT (optional practical training) card starting on September,1 2004 which shall allow me to work in US for 1 year i.e. September,1 2005. Even if my company wants to process my H1 visa this year i am told that as the applications for H1 visa will open in April this year it is bound to be filled by maximum May end. Is this true?

++++++++++++++Impossible to predict the exact month, but it would have to be fairly quick.

Many have told me this is so
because of the H1B cap that they have put of 65,000. If this happens I will have to apply in April 2005 for October 2005 to process my H1 visa.

Here is my problem..... the period between September,1 2005 till the time get my visa processed (nearly a mont! h or two) i cannot legally work in USA but can stay here as my H1 visa is in processing stage. But my company might not agree to give me this long a break. How do you think I should overcome this problem? I needed a good convincing plan to overcome this
problem as this can be the sole reason for me not getting the job. Hoping to hear from you soon.

++++++++++++++++++++I cannot think of a plan under the current law.

Thanking you,