Pending Status

siggc02

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum. After reading a little bit of every post, I decided to ask for help to anyone who can have an answer to question.
I live in Seattle and applied for asylum in may 2003 at the nebraska service center. I received a notice after 2 week that they received my application and that's pending. After that(after the 150 days waiting period) I applied for my Employment Authorization card and received it. Since the I kept on renewing my work authorization, but didn't receive any notice for an interview. It's been now 4 year and no progress.
Any advice what I should do now? And another question, how could I get any financial aid to go to school.
Thanks everyone

I never had an interview, just gave biometric twice. About moving i moved only to different address in the same city which I promptly informed the immigration.

i think you are missing something here . there is no way they wouldnot respond you in 4yrs .. i think you shoul talk to good immigration lawyer. you must have status to get financial aid
goodluck

I called them twice, and they said that the case is still pending and to be patient. After that I spoke with a lawyer wich adviced me to NOT do anything since that will bother them and get me allieneted.
No idea what to do now. :confused:

Mr/s siggco2: I don’t think your case is normal. Normally, the process of asylum takes about 6 months. Many asylees experience situations like yours after the interview.

What you can do: very little…. If you live in Seattle, the San Francisco Asylum office has jurisdiction over your case. There is no Asylum office in Seattle or WA State. The asylum officers in San Francisco come to Seattle once a while. This makes it very difficult for you to go to and visit their office.

Now if I were you I have done two three things:

First, I would make an Infopass with the USCIS Local office in Seattle at Tukwila. This office though has nothing to do with your case; they have access to your file. They can tell you if your is set for interview date, why is it taking this unusual period, if you missed something they sent you before. All this depends on the officer you meet and how far he/she wants to go into helping your. Some officers may just turn you away and tell you that your case is with that office in San Francisco and that should wait for them to correspond you; others may go further and give you more information.

You may wanna write to them. They may answer to you or may not. But this will help you to remind them that you are hanging in the air out there.

You may write the office Ombudsman. This office is very helpful is some cases. If you write to them and explain to them of your situation, they will write to the asylum office in San Francisco on your behalf. Still they don’t power to compel that office into action, but they help you remind them about your case, and in the future if you try sue them it will help you because it will show that you tried all recourses available to you.

About financial; I am not sure about that….. hope that helps, and wish you the best of your luck…

Thanks a lot Faysal. I really appriciate for taking your time and explain me everythings. A big thanks goes also to everyone who's been responding me.
Just one more question : what is "office Ombudsman" ?

Thanks

Thanks a lot Faysal. I really appriciate for taking your time and explain me everythings. A big thanks goes also to everyone who's been responding me.
Just one more question : what is "office Ombudsman" ?

Thanks

"Ombudsman," google it.........

contact a lawyer!

I had kind of the same experience with my asylum case. I applied for asylum in NYC in July/02 and moved to Los Angeles in Oct-02. My interview was scheduled to Nov-02 but my lawyer asked to postpone it.

Although I never changed address and was planning to fly to NY when my interview was rescheduled, I NEVER heard back from them for almost a year until I got a little desperate and went to a pro bono local immigration advisor.

He happened to be one of the best asylum attorneys in the US and I ended up hiring him. luckily, I was not under removing procedures and he found out the status of my case in 2 days. In one week I had an interview scheduled, went and had my petition denied, which ended up approved by Immigration Judge.

Go ahead and talk to a lawyer as soon as you can. The wait is horrible. I am very glad I did not wait four year like you did.You could have been granted asylum *AND* have your Green Card by this time.

About your first question about getting "financial aid" for school... unfortunately if you dont have your asylum granted you are not elegible. You will fall under the "non-elegible non-citizen"... even if you filed the FAFSA, when they verify your immigration status it will came back inelegible...