pending patent, where to put?

ashu62

Registered Users (C)
Hello Brian, Millis and other Gurus,
I am arranging all my paper stuff for EB1-EA category. In this regard I seek one advice from you guys:
I have one pending U.S. Patent. I want to know in which section should I put this: In the published Materials section or in the prizes/awards section or somewhere else.

For my EB1-OR, I have attached copy of my US patent which came in just few days before despach of my petition -I-140 ND may. I had mentioned patent in resume and also enclosed abstracts of papers manuscripts in prep or communicated.
shobhana

Originally posted by skusa
For my EB1-OR, I have attached copy of my US patent which came in just few days before despach of my petition -I-140 ND may. I had mentioned patent in resume and also enclosed abstracts of papers manuscripts in prep or communicated.
shobhana

Just a question (I do not have any patents, so it really doesn't apply to me). Is the patent really worth something here without having an expert specifically say that this is something special? Really, anybody can file a patent on just about anything.

Brian

Brian,
This patent application is filed by the technology transfer division of a State University. This is the patent application of the university and I am a co-inventor. I have a copy of the formal official letter which was sent by the university to U.S. Patent office. I also have a copy of acknowledgement letter from patent office. I am planning to put these two letters along with the copy of the invention disclosure.
Brian, do you think I should also get some letters from the experts verifying the significance of this invention. I can get such letters from the experts.
For researchers working in big and prestigeous universities it is really not that simple to file patent. It goes through a series of tests and only very selected cases are filed. So I consider it a big career achievement. But still I am not sure, in which section of my application should I put this.
I can put it in (i) prize/award section, or (ii) in publication section
or (iii) in the section "other comparable evidences of extraordinary ability" .
I know it may not matter much but I want to do things meticulously.
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Originally posted by ashu62
Brian,
Brian, do you think I should also get some letters from the experts verifying the significance of this invention. I can get such letters from the experts.

I don't know, which is why I asked the question. I would imagine, though, that the importance of the patent would have to be verified, like a publication.

If there are special criteria for your patents, you will have to tell the reviewer this. In 2001, almost 88,000 patents were issued (www.uspto.gov).

Brian

Thanks Brian,
I need one more suggestion from you. For my EB1-EA petition I have more than 400 pages. My question is how to put these papers together? Should I punch holes in these papers and put some kind of pin? Do you know about any place where I can get some help in making these holes etc.
regards

Go to kinko's, they can help you out with 2- hole drill machine. This is faster and easier than using 2 hole punching machine escpecially when you have so many pages in your petition.