Pending divorce

ajaz

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have my interview in 5/07, based on the 5 year rule. My divorce is pending. Will it have any effect on the interview.

Thanks

Hi,

I have my interview in 5/07, based on the 5 year rule. My divorce is pending. Will it have any effect on the interview.

Thanks

Hi,
If you obtained green card through marriage, there may be a few questions about marriage during the interview and relationship with you spouse. We may be able to help you in this form better if you explain your situation a little better. I believe that even you finish the interview the USCIS will not make a decision until your divirce is complete.Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks
No, it will not have any effect because your conditional GC has been removed and you are applying on the 5 year rule.

Be prepared with all documents and questions from the Officer.

I have had my green card for 5 years now. I applied for divorce a few months ago. Do you think it will have an impact?? I thought it won't make a difference.

I have had my green card for 5 years now. I applied for divorce a few months ago. Do you think it will have an impact?? I thought it won't make a difference.
That depends on how your green card was obtained. Regardless of 3 or 5 year rules, your whole immigration story is in consideration for the citizenship interview. If you got your green card through the marriage and there is a devorce not long after obtaining the card, USCIS automatically suspects of a possibility of a marriage fraud.

i got my green card through my husband, both of us received it at the same time. I have a baby with him, no fraud, mutual differences

I guess all said before applies only when you got GC when married to US citizen. In your case your hubby was a visa sponsor. What could be a problem (not in your case though) it is when somebody left the spouse right after getting permanent CG (after a few years on temporary).

Your claiming of "no fraud" means nothing. There isn't a single person in the world who'll admit it if asked by IO. That said, I am guessing your husband got his green card through his employment and you were on his petition. It is a less problematic situation but it is still through the marriage. I would think you'll still face some tough questioning at the inteview but at the end, not likely to get denied.

There really was no fraud. There was just so much mental anguish that i could not take it any longer. My baby is also very small and i had to worry about his future, and had to take a decision. My husband stabbed me in my back, and broke the trust and faith i had in him within minutes. I am going through a very tough time in my life.

Hi,

Thanks

Since your pending N-400 is NOT based upon 3 yrs rule of being married with a US citizen for 3 yrs then you have nothing whatsoever to be worried about pending divorce at all. But make sure don't tell voluntarily to the officer about pending divorce unless you are specifically asked because having a pending divorce case is relevant only if applicant's N-400 is based upon 3 yrs rule of being married to a US citizen. So even if officer would come to know about it, s/he won't take it negatively to deny your N-400. Believe me.

Good luck...