PCC Stupidity getting onto my nerves now

GCChaahiye

Registered Users (C)
Below is the response of Mumbai Consulate regarding the PCC requirement:

" we require PCCs from the local police, local passport authority,
> local U.S. authority, and local ****( foreign country) authority. It is best to
> gather all information prior to the interview in order to avoid
> multiple trips to the Consulate. "

Damn this confusion.

GCChaahiye said:
Below is the response of Mumbai Consulate regarding the PCC requirement:

" we require PCCs from the local police, local passport authority,
> local U.S. authority, and local ****( foreign country) authority. It is best to
> gather all information prior to the interview in order to avoid
> multiple trips to the Consulate. "

Damn this confusion.
I got a similar response from the Chennai consulate some time back. It turns out that the consulate guys had not read that I was in the U.S. So sent another e-mail putting in bold that I am currently in the U.S. and then they replied that the PCC from the Indian Consulate in the U.S. is enough.

But these people correctly mentioned the foreign country that I had visited.

So, not sure if they replied after reading carefully or just wanted my email to get off their neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
GCChaahiye said:
But these people correctly mentioned the foreign country that I had visited.

So, not sure if they replied after reading carefully or just wanted my email to get off their neck.

The PCC requirements are clearly mentioned in the US Consulate websites and also in DS 2001. It has also been established by precedence and pointed out by many who have gone through the CP process.

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/wwwfpacketa.pdf

The lesson learned from this is that (I) should be very discerning in using the email to elicit a response from the consulates.

I sent this pdf file of Packet 4 to my attorney who says, inspite of such instructions of "stay more than 12 months in a foreign country",it is better to have the PCC from that country just to be on the safe side.( I stayed for less than 12 months)

Now, I have another issue.

The police of that country say, they need my finger prints.

For the finger prints, do I need to go to the local police station or do I need to contact the FBI?

How to go about this?

Has anyone gone through this before?

Any suggestions?

Pcc

Local police station should do. I used it once for Canada PCC and it works fine. But make sure you follow the requirements of the intended PCC.

GCChaahiye said:
I sent this pdf file of Packet 4 to my attorney who says, inspite of such instructions of "stay more than 12 months in a foreign country",it is better to have the PCC from that country just to be on the safe side.( I stayed for less than 12 months)

Now, I have another issue.

The police of that country say, they need my finger prints.

For the finger prints, do I need to go to the local police station or do I need to contact the FBI?

How to go about this?

Has anyone gone through this before?

Any suggestions?

For US immigration (485 route) the fingerprinting is done by USCIS or the backgound check is done at NVC/Consulate. I was told that the local Police have been instructed not to do finger printing if it is for US immigration.

The finger prints can be obtained from a local police station. The finger print card they do is for FBI -CJIS division. They will do finger printing (on the FBI card) if it for other purposes; Background check for jobs, Candian Immigration etc.
After fingerpriniting the card may be sent to FBI CJIS division and they will do a background check and stamp the reverse of the card with findings. The fee was USD18.00 and used to take about 3-6 weeks.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

For details also check the Canaidan Immigrations forums.

They have just asked for finger prints from local police station and have not mentioned anything about the FBI, etc.

vu2vut

Thanks for the detailed information. Its quite helpful.

If I follow this procedure to obtain finger prints,would it in any way, affect my further process of CP / CP interview at Mumbai?

I am yet to receive the fee bill from NVC.

GCChaahiye said:
They have just asked for finger prints from local police station and have not mentioned anything about the FBI, etc.

vu2vut

Thanks for the detailed information. Its quite helpful.

If I follow this procedure to obtain finger prints,would it in any way, affect my further process of CP / CP interview at Mumbai?

I am yet to receive the fee bill from NVC.

I dont see why there would be any impact to your CP process, as long as you are not using it for FBI checking for US immigration.

While taking the prints tell the officer that your are doing it for clearence from 'XXXX' country and write that in the finger printing card as well. Also, there are agencies that would do finger printing (at a higher cost).

I dont know which stage you are in CP process (no data in CP tacker?) and when you woudl need the Clearences. Depending on the agency, it could take several months to get a PCC from other countries. For example, RCMP (Canada) has a lead time for few months.

I have been in UK for 1 1/2 yrs on a project (but mostly travelling back and forth every month) and in Canada for 1yr (travelling back and forth every week) and in New Zealand for 6 months (travelling back and forth every 6 weeks). Should I still get PCC from UK, Canada and New Zealand. In all these places I have stayed in Hotels and do not have an address.

Please advise.

Thank you,
-D

DalRanger said:
I have been in UK for 1 1/2 yrs on a project (but mostly travelling back and forth every month) and in Canada for 1yr (travelling back and forth every week) and in New Zealand for 6 months (travelling back and forth every 6 weeks). Should I still get PCC from UK, Canada and New Zealand. In all these places I have stayed in Hotels and do not have an address.

Please advise.

Thank you,
-D

Have you opted for CP? If so, which Consulate?

GCChaahiye said:
Have you opted for CP? If so, which Consulate?
Yes I have opted for CP and the consulate is Chennai, my status is:
Priority Date: Dec 2003
H1 remaining period: only 6 months
Category: EB-3
CP Status: Submitted DS 230 on Jan 17th 2005 (for both me and my wife)

Chennai website specifies that if the period of stay in a foreign country is 12 months or more, then a PCC is required from that country.

Since Singapore is less than 12 months, rule it out.

I am not sure about UK and Canada, but if you are still visiting these countries, it would be cake walk for you to obtain PCC from both these.
So, get them if you can.

Let other gurus advise too.