PCC related reply from Mumbai consulate

ap28

Registered Users (C)
I got the following reply as Word document from Mumbai consulate about PCC. Can it get more confusing ?

Indian Police clearance certificates for the Immigrant visa interview should be obtained as follows:

All Indian IV applicants age 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local passport office. These are usually more dependable than those obtained at a local level and indicate that the subject had no serious criminal convictions on record at the time of passport issuance. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the passport office police certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.

Applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the district police office serving the applicant\'s place of residence.

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local Embassy or Consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the district police station serving their area of residence.

Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

No Title

what is so confusing?? It clearly states that if you are residing
in the U.S, then a PCC from the Consulate is enough!

No Title

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local Embassy or Consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

No Title

I wasn\'t sure about the term "outside India" in the document.

There is some confusion...

Two interpretations are possible as I see it :

1. Indian passport holders applying for visa (and currently resident) outside India can obtain PCC from Indian consulate

2. Indian passport holders applying for visa outside (e.g in Singapore) can obtain PCC from Indian consulate.

I hope the first interpretation is true..

Difference is

1 applies to all Indian nationals RESIDING outside India (like us) and applying for a IV. 2 means only Indian nationals applying for IV OUTSIDE India (in a third country) can get PCC from consulate.