PCC REFUSED from regional PASSPORT OFFICE IN INDIA (attn. SudhirKumar)

bullu singh new

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, I filled out the PCC form that SudhirKumar got from the passport.nic.in site with my father over the phone. My father then took the form to the REGIONAL passport office in mumbai with a copy of my passport. But he was refused police clearance.

THEY SAID THE PERSON REQUESTING THE PCC HAS NOT BEEN LIVING IN INDIA FOR A FEW YEARS. THEY SAID WE DON\'T GIVE PCC TO SUCH PEOPLE BECAUSE WE CANNOT INVESTIGATE THEIR RECORD ABROAD WHICH APPARENTLY THE INDIAN CONSULATE CAN BECAUSE AS A NON-IMMIGRANT IF YOU DO SOMETHING WRONG HERE (LIKE A FELONY) THE US POLICE/STATE DEPT WILL REPORT IT TO THE CONSULATE.

Anyways the bottomline is they refused to even accept the application for the PCC even after my father spent quite a while haggling with the officer at the window and explaining them the situation. They said ask him to go the consulate. My dad asked how long does he have to live in India before he can apply for PCC. they said the address he provides for his current reesidence should be verifiable i.e., the local police station should be able to confirm that the said person has been living at this address with creating any problems and talk to him at that address if need be. (they come looking for you and if you are not in they will leave a note requesting you to come to the local police station to see them to get the police clearance.)

However my father met some dalal outside the office on his way out. (The dalal had overheard what was going on.) And he said that for a certain some of money he can have the passport office process my application (whatever that means!) and get a PCC. Of course, my dad refused which I think was the right thing to do.

BUT I am terribly confused now. What to do? This whole PCC mess is getting me very upset. My family was also getting very upset. Has anyone else had similar experience? Any successes?

Anyone has any ideas?

bullu

Cannot get PCC in India

My parents went to the Local police station for PCC. They Directed them to the Regional passport office . My parents spoke with the people in passport office and as per the people in passport office they cannot issue a PCC if u have been residing in US. One has to get the PCC from US only from Indian Emabassy/Consulate

I have also asked my parents to call the US consulate in new Delhi to get details about the interview date and if dates are know to collect the packet 4 . Once packet 4 is recvd I will come to know if PCC is required ..will post more after I have the details

I had applied for the PCC in Washington DC wherethey charged $11.00 forthe form and $20 .00 for the telex ...and told me to call by phone after 30 days as my passport was issued in NewDelhi for PCC.

iamforcp, Can u pls detail the procedure to get PCC from Indian Emabassy, in US. Thanks in advance f

check indiacgny.org for NY

u can get links for other indian consulatesfrom there...also call them up and get the details info
u need to fill form "Miscellaneaous"

bullu singh...how did u fill out the PCC form sitting in the US and instructing ur father over the p

i am sending my father a completed application with my original signatures, photograph, and a cover letter (explaining why PCC is needed etc)via Priority mail tomorrow. also i will attach a copy of:
my passport (all pages),
copy of the PCC application to the DC Consulate,
and relevent portions of forms OF 169 and DSL 1083 (instructions for immigrant visa application) which show that IV applicants do need a PCC from the local passport office.

If they refuse after all this....then I don\'t know what to do!

dude ap. If you are going through this process, make sure you get your photocopies notarised.

I had talked to my cousin in Delhi who is a lawyer and he suggested using notarised copies. And he mentioned to get them notarised from the Indian Embassy itself.($11 per page). I dont know if this is helpful.

Re: bullu singh...how did u fill out the PCC form sitting in the US and instructing ur father over t

Father has pictures of me. Exactly the types needed. Also how difficult is it for you to get your father to sign for you? Anyways, the point is they didn\'t accept the applicataion not because of the signature or photographs or any such reason but because I have not been living in India. They asked specifically about me, and my present address, and so on.

No Title

U can get it if you have any influence in Police Dept. I got it for me and my spouse thru my uncle. Wife\'s father had influence in the dept. (I am in US). My spouse went to india and she had initiated it.

It\'s all done by the people in India. I did not give any application.

They told me that attorney in India had to write something and then police will issue a certificate.

Thanx TL

bullu...looks like i\'ll meet the same fate...sudhir, yes notarizing is a good suggestion but seems

i resided in roorkee from 92-96 (for my undergrad). do i need a certificate from the roorkee police station as well, along with the one from Delhi (my permanent indian address)?

i thought the DC consulate issued PCC covered all locations in India.
what about RPO PCC from New Delhi.....does it cover all locations in India or just Delhi?

Also, the local police stn doesn\'t issue PCCs. So where is the question of getting 2 PCCs as per P4 instructions: one from RPO and one from local police stn. But i guess some people have got some kind of "no adverse police record" certificate from the local police stn.

THIS IS ALL SOOOO CONFUSING! I am just fed up! any thoughts?

dude ap.

If u can manage PCC from all places u have recided after age 16 for more than 6 months well and good. If not just get it from the permanent address.
I am also doing the same. I am not getting it from my Engg. location. I will just get it from my place of residence.

Frankly speaking it sounds impractical to me.

Another view

Spoke to someone who knows law better than me and he said : According to the instructions for P3, "Police certificates are required from the police authorities in each locality of the country of the applicants nationality OR (NOTE : Not AND) current residence where the applicant has resided since attaining the age of 16. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year"

So :

1. If you are in India currently and applying, then the certificates are needed from each locality since that is your current residence.

2. If you are in the US, the current residence is the US locality where PCC is not required (at least as of now). But since we have resided earlier in India for more than a year, ONE certificate is needed from the indian authorities (Consulate).

Who knows !!

SUDHIR AND EB1SEEKER, THANKS FOR UR REPLIES. BTW eb1seeker can you tell me the source of ur info. on

Re: Another view

> Spoke to someone who knows law better than me and he said : According to the instructions for P3, "Police certificates are required from the police authorities in each locality of the country of the applicants nationality OR (NOTE : Not AND) current residence where the applicant has resided since attaining the age of 16. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year"

> So :

> 1. If you are in India currently and applying, then the certificates are needed from each locality since that is your current residence.

> 2. If you are in the US, the current residence is the US locality where PCC is not required (at least as of now). But since we have resided earlier in India for more than a year, ONE certificate is needed from the indian authorities (Consulate).

> Who knows !!

Dude!!!!! This is absolutely on the mark! Do\'h I was confused all these days. The thing says "OR" not "AND". I always read it and understood it as AND. No doubt you fit into the EB1 category :)

I think your interpretation is the right one. It all makes perfect sense now!! People.. SudhirKumar.. MJ1.. et all. What is wrong with what eb1seeker says? If you read OF-169 correctly, this is what they ask for. And so PCC from Indian consulate is what is needed for we guys who have been living in the US. You signed OF-169 and you followed it to the letter. What they say in Pkt. 4 has to be for family based immigrants. It would make no sense otherwise.

What do people think?

Makes sense but..

Each consulate has its own way of interpreting the word of the law.
For example, Mumbai consulate said they need police clearances from both authorities - Indian consulate in the US AND local police authority in India.
I confirmed this with my dad a minute back. He specifically asked if they need BOTH or EITHER. She said BOTH.
Now, if you think of this, the source of information is the same - your local police station in India that conducted the verification. But there is no arguing with the consulate.
I don\'t think its worth the risk not getting both. You are subjecting yourself to the interpretation of the word.
Just my $0.02.
MJ1