PCC from US. Not enough time!

mohanrs

Hi,

I have my interview date scheduled on the July 16th @ Chennai. I didn't know about getting the PCC until I get the letter yesterday. I called up the Indian consulate in Houston today to get the PCC, they are saying it'll take upto 6 weeks to get it? do you know if that document is absolutely necessary? since I have only two weeks left, can I be able to get that in Indian passport office instead?

I also read in some thread that I should get the PCC within a week if I renewed my passport in US. Actually, I did renew it in Houston last year. I called up Houston again to see if that is true. Can't get hold of anyone yet.

Please respond if you know any answer or Is my only option is to postpone the interview one more time? (I did that once already, at that time they didn't send the packet 4 with the required document attached).

Thank you,
Mohan

Since you got your p/p in Indian consulate in US, you should get your PCC in (<) 1 week. If you are near Houston, you can finish this task in a day.

This document is absolutely necessary.

mohanrs said:
Hi,

I have my interview date scheduled on the July 16th @ Chennai. I didn't know about getting the PCC until I get the letter yesterday. I called up the Indian consulate in Houston today to get the PCC, they are saying it'll take upto 6 weeks to get it? do you know if that document is absolutely necessary? since I have only two weeks left, can I be able to get that in Indian passport office instead?

I also read in some thread that I should get the PCC within a week if I renewed my passport in US. Actually, I did renew it in Houston last year. I called up Houston again to see if that is true. Can't get hold of anyone yet.

Please respond if you know any answer or Is my only option is to postpone the interview one more time? (I did that once already, at that time they didn't send the packet 4 with the required document attached).

Thank you,
Mohan

Since you got your current passport from the Houston Consulate, they will
be able to give you the PCC lot quicker. Approach them direct. You should
be able to get someone on the phone.

Raju

That is true.
i got my new PP from Newyork.i applied for PCC i got it within a week
if ur passport issued in USA u can get it within a week.if not it will take 45 days time.
Thanks
VJ

PCC Question??

Is it true that the PCC has to be issued no later than 6 months before the interview date?? My I140 has recently been approved and I am wondering when I should apply for my PCC... My passport was renewed by NY consulate whereas my wife's is issued in India... Also is it safe to send and receive passports by mail??

Thanks.
S

sanjay76 said:
PCC Question??

Is it true that the PCC has to be issued no later than 6 months before the interview date?? My I140 has recently been approved and I am wondering when I should apply for my PCC... My passport was renewed by NY consulate whereas my wife's is issued in India... Also is it safe to send and receive passports by mail??

Thanks.
S

yes.6 months valididty.
yes .it is safe to send passport and get PCC.
in my case also same.i got PP from Newyork.my wife from INDIA,
we both applied for PCC.
i got it within a wee.
i am waiting fro my wife pp to come.it is already4 weeks over.what they said it will take 4 to 6 weeks.
hope this helps u.
Thanks
VJ

Thanks VJ! Just a follow-up:

At what stage are you now? I am wondering when I should apply for PCC?

Also, did you have to send $15x2 for two mailing charges that the consulate requires to send back your passport. I am wondering how it will work .. as probably in my case they will send mine earlier than my wifes.. in that case do I have to send another $15 (if I did not send $30 before)?? I hope I did not confuse you...

Thanks.
S

sanjay76 said:
Thanks VJ! Just a follow-up:

At what stage are you now? I am wondering when I should apply for PCC?

Also, did you have to send $15x2 for two mailing charges that the consulate requires to send back your passport. I am wondering how it will work .. as probably in my case they will send mine earlier than my wifes.. in that case do I have to send another $15 (if I did not send $30 before)?? I hope I did not confuse you...

Thanks.
S

u r absolutely correct.
u have to send two separate mails one for u(20$+15) and another for u r wife(20$+15$).u will get it frist ,later ur wife will get.currently i am in sending packet 3 to NVC.
probably most of the people will apply Their PCC once they received Packet 3 from NVC.
that's what i did.
Thanks
VJ

PCC @ Chicago experience

I am from St. Louis and here is my experience about getting PCC from Chicago.

04/10 – Mailed application to issue PCC for me and wife.

04/20 - Referred case to Mumbai

Long wait ZZzzzZZZzzz.

Started calling the consulate after 45 days since your case is referred to India.
I think that is the rule if they do not expect any reply from India in 45 days they the PCC.
At Chicago you call 312-595-0405 Ext 227 ( Usha – is currently assigned to issue PCC).

06/21 - Mailed our Passports by UPS to consulate. Included a mailing service charge of $16 ( $15 + $1 mailing both passports). They asked me to provide a combined cover letter with reason of PCC issuance as “Immigration” (I forgot to mention this in my cover letter but it was not a problem)

06/22 - Passport reached to Chicago consulate

Some waiting time between the Mailing section and to reach Usha’s office.
I think you can call the Mailing department and request them to forward your case to Usha’s office for PCC.

06/28 - PCC issue

06/29 - Received our PCC by DHL courier. We realized the courier carrier left the passport at our door as my wife was little late opening the door.
I am not sure if this is general practice of the courier delivery people but that was scary to leave passports out of your house when you are not home.
So I think if you are expecting passport by mail make sure that it is delivered safely.

Also, if you want to have your PCC issued earlier in a reasonable time tell them you need this for the interview next month.

CP - Query,

My understanding is that one has to mail the Passports ALONG witht he PCC application. However, it seems like you mailed the passports later on?? I am a little confused..

Should the passports be sent with the PCC application or seperately??

Does anyone know more?? Please clarify.

Thanks.
S

Usually DHL guy will not leave at the door step because the packet contains instruction saying signature required other stuff, at the most he leaves the door tag if door is not opened for few minutes.

I received two from the consulate but from SFO and all the time it was door tag as there was no one to open the door and I believe it should be same with all the consulate people.

That could be the big mistake from the courier guy.

Thanks

sanjay76 said:
CP - Query,

My understanding is that one has to mail the Passports ALONG witht he PCC application. However, it seems like you mailed the passports later on?? I am a little confused..

Should the passports be sent with the PCC application or seperately??

Does anyone know more?? Please clarify.

Thanks.
S

You can send the Application for PCC with the Photocopy of PP. once they get the clearence from india(You can call them and find out) send them the PP and they will send the PCC with PP in couple of days. Thats what most people do to make sure there PP are safe.

anushri

I mailed PP photo copies initially

anushri said:
You can send the Application for PCC with the Photocopy of PP. once they get the clearence from india(You can call them and find out) send them the PP and they will send the PCC with PP in couple of days. Thats what most people do to make sure there PP are safe.

anushri

Yes, I mailed PP photo copies initially. My experience is based to Chicago consulate.
My suggestion is to call the respective consulate get the process details including charges.

Just an FYI:
I even endorsed my spouse name on my passport with additional fees of $10 when I mailed the passports for PCC. All I have to send extra was an Application form (Miscellaneous service) and copy of my smarriage certificate (also copies of my wife's passport even if her passport was included in the same packet).

Thanks everyone.. appreciate it... I might also endorse my passport with my wife's name.. my wife's passport has my name but mine does not. I guess this is not necessary but no harm in having it included in mine.

CP Query - when they include your wife's name .. they do not give you a new passport .. right? I ask this because the page on the passport where they would normally include my wife's name is actually laminated.. I do not think they can write on that page .. just curious..

thanks.
S

Spouse name is added on the Passport pages.

They write on top of the right hand side opening page to refer to the page where they have endorsed spouse name.
So actually they write inside you general passport pages similar to the PCC entry on the passport with their SEAL (and reference number? I am not sure if the reference number was for PCC or the spouse name endorsement).

sanjay ,

If your PP was issued in an Indian consulate in US, you can send your PP along with the application and you will get done in weeks time.

If in India, send your PP later as it might take upto 5-6 weeks.

Update

Thanks for everyone who replied and asked questions...

after I posted the question, I received a response from US Consulate, Chennai. They said they'd accept a PCC from local Indian passport office or district. but, apparently it would take longer to get the PCC in India if the passport was issued in Indian consulate in US. I sent my p/p with $35 m.o (20 + $15 for Fedex) Indian consulate in Houston, last Wed. I received it back this thursday (~ weeks time) after bugging them everyday for the status. it took only a week since the p/p was also issued by the same consulate, it might take upto 2 months in other cases, so apply for PCC well in advance. I'm leaving tomm to Chennai for my CP scheduled next Friday. hope everything goes well.

- Mohan

mohanrs,

Good that you got your PCC issue was resolved. A week is a standard time to get a PCC from the Indian consulate if your p/p was issued in US.

Good luck with the interview.