PCC from Mumbai

KAT02

Registered Users (C)
I had mentioned in earlier posts that my wife will need PCC from Indian consulate in SFO as well as local police station in Mumbai. SFO has already issued PCC with relevant stamp in the passport.

Mumbai process is also in progress with copies of passport and other docs. Do the police authorities put a stamp in the passport referencing the PCC issued by them? Or do they simply give a certificate on their letter head?

Anyone with experience of obtaining PCC from Mumbai?

KAT02

I have not got pcc from bbay but i remember reading an article which was about getting pcc from nwd where the passport was stamped with the same reference number as in the actual pcc. This is the way it is (and should be) with a pcc issued in usa or in india!

kd1403

My folks enquired about the local PCC with police. The officer said that they do not stamp anything in the passport. I think the PCC info from regional passport office is stamped in the passport but not so for the one from the police.

KAT02.

Kat02:

May you are right...i could not recollect whether it was the local police or the passport office in india that put the stamp but generally passport gets stamped with the pcc reference number and the pcc generally has a passport number of the person for whom the pcc is issued. This cross reference helps the consulate know that the pcc is for the passholder who passport number is mentioned in the pcc.

kd1403

I agree that the cross-referencing is normally done for PCC. My PCC issued by Indian Consulate in SFO has my PP# and PP has PCC # mentioned with the consulate stamp.

My feeling is that no one other than the passport office and consulates have the authority to write any thing on the passport. Hence the local police response.

Also, roughly how many days does Packet 4 take to reach US address? Mine was mailed by Mumbai consulate on Dec 4 - have not received it yet.

KAT02.

kat02:

Expect it around end of this month. The reason I say this is bcoz:
1. Mine was mailed from bbay on 4th sept & I received on 29th sept. So 25 days!

2. What happens is a big envelope containing everyones p4's for next month interviews is mailed from bbay consulate towards the end of first week of the month (month when the interviews are published for next month) i.e like 4th of dec.

This packet is mailed to the Indian embassy in Washington DC for the US Eastern region (not sure where it is mailed for the other 3 regions). Takes about 2 weeks to reach. i.e say around 18-20th of Dec it will reach DC.

From Washington Dc it is mailed to gc applicants home address and to their attorney's office. Each gc applicant gets one p4 and each applicant's attorney gets one p4. Takes about 1 week. i.e say around 24th-25th Dec.

But due to holiday season add 1 more week buffer. Hence i say expect by end of DEcember/ may be 1st week of Jan!