PCC from all places where stayed for > 6 months ???

dan4gc

Registered Users (C)
Got a mail from Mumbai Consulate that Police and Passport clearance is required from all places where we stayed for > 6 months.

Till now I thought we would need PCC only from Indian Consulate in USA (if residing in USA)

dan4gc said:
Got a mail from Mumbai Consulate that Police and Passport clearance is required from all places where we stayed for > 6 months.

Till now I thought we would need PCC only from Indian Consulate in USA (if residing in USA)

This is not a new requirement. We always needed PCCs from the places we lived including India.

a) For India (for candidates living in US) the local consulates provide this PCC, and it covers the candidates stay in India. If you are currently living in US and India was the only other country you lived in then the ONLY PCC you need is the one you get from the Indian Consulates here in USA. It does not matter if you have lived in 6 different cities in India after you reached your 16th year and before you came over to USA.

b) For other countries the procedure depends on the particular country.

Only aspect that sounds new from your mail is for (b) should the stay be greater than 6 months or 1 year. I have read about both these periods but do not know what rule the Consulates are imposing now.

Raju

Raju, Appreciate your response.

a) When I mailed the consulate I told them specifically that I am residing in US from the past 2 years. So do I need a PCC from India
and their reply is that I need a PCC and Passport Clearance (Never heard about it !) from all places that I stayed for more than 6 Months.

dan4gc said:

a) When I mailed the consulate I told them specifically that I am residing in US from the past 2 years. So do I need a PCC from India
and their reply is that I need a PCC and Passport Clearance (Never heard about it !) from all places that I stayed for more than 6 Months.

Government workers are slackers no matter which country.

The people at the consulates hardly read your email. Depending on what the subject is, they copy and paste ready-made answers which are standard.
When you ask them IF you need any document, they will say YES. They will never say no to any document requirement whether it is really needed or not.

The website says that stay should be more than 6 months, but in Packet 4, they say, it should be more than 1 year.

I do not recall anyone on this forum who has taken PCCs from India BESIDES the PCC from the Indian Consulate in USA.However, if you ask the consulate,they will you need PCCs from India as well.

The point is, its better to stay safe with such erratic people with deviated brains and obtain all the documents.You never know what they will ask.

If it is not a problem, then just obtain all.

dan4gc said:

dan4gc,

Please check the URL's:
For Chennai: http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivdocument.html#police
For Delhi: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhconsuivv.html

Only Mumbai does not have this explained, but I guess it is the same as Delhi and Chennai.

Note: I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal opinion