Pay Attention: I-551 Stamp Holders -Travel Possibly Limited

NewsFlash! I-551 Stamps Expected to Continue for Now
Posted Oct 19, 2004
©MurthyDotCom
There has been a further update regarding I-551 temporary evidence of permanent residence stamps. We received information from AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) after close of business on October 19, 2004, stating that the USCIS has advised that they will continue to issue temporary I-551 stamps. The USCIS had announced on Friday, October 15, that the stamps would be phased out later in the month. [This earlier NewsFlash is available on MurthyDotCom.] This caused a great deal of alarm. The stamps are used as proof of permanent resident status for all purposes, including work and travel, after an application for permanent residence has been approved, but before the plastic "green" card is received by mail.
©MurthyDotCom
It is not clear whether this is represents a permanent policy, or if we will experience more fluctuation in this area. Written confirmation from USCIS regarding this change is expected in a few days. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy continue to monitor this very closely for our readers and will update MurthyDotCom when any more information becomes available.

Old News Already

OLD NEWS ALREADY
THIS IS THE LATEST
NewsFlash! I-551 Stamps Expected to Continue for Now
Posted Oct 19, 2004
©MurthyDotCom
There has been a further update regarding I-551 temporary evidence of permanent residence stamps. We received information from AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) after close of business on October 19, 2004, stating that the USCIS has advised that they will continue to issue temporary I-551 stamps. The USCIS had announced on Friday, October 15, that the stamps would be phased out later in the month. [This earlier NewsFlash is available on MurthyDotCom.] This caused a great deal of alarm. The stamps are used as proof of permanent resident status for all purposes, including work and travel, after an application for permanent residence has been approved, but before the plastic "green" card is received by mail.
©MurthyDotCom
It is not clear whether this is represents a permanent policy, or if we will experience more fluctuation in this area. Written confirmation from USCIS regarding this change is expected in a few days. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy continue to monitor this very closely for our readers and will update MurthyDotCom when any more information becomes available