Past convictions may not solely affect Naturalization

dsatish

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
Don't read my heading in a literal way. I just put it randomly. Here is the information i have found from Sheila Murthy's latest news bulletin (can be found on murthy.com).
-------------

5. Limited Consideration of Past Crimes in Citizenship Cases

The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently issued an opinion that, in a naturalization (citizenship) case, a criminal record that occurred more than five years prior to filing for citizenship cannot be the sole reason for a denial of naturalization.

Legal Standard of Good Moral Character for Naturalization

It is necessary in naturalization cases for the applicant to show good moral character (GMC). A demonstration of good moral character must be evident for the immediately preceding 5-year (or 3- year for certain persons married to U.S. citizens) "statutory period" of permanent residence required for eligibility for naturalization. This good moral character must continue until naturalization. The particular case examined by the Court involved behavior occurring more than five years prior to the application for naturalization.

USCIS Interpretation of GMC

Under long standing regulations, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can look at a past criminal record in determining good moral character, even if the crimes were outside of the 5- (or 3-) year period. The regulation refers to reviewing the earlier conduct if the behavior during the 5- (or 3-) year period does not indicate that there has been a reform of character. The 9th Circuit recognized that the controlling regulation indicates that such prior acts should be considered only if there is otherwise proof that the applicant's character has not been reformed during the 5-year period. Thus, the court held that the case cannot be denied simply based upon the fact of an old conviction, without more.

It should be noted that there are some very serious crimes that create a permanent bar to naturalization. This case does not change that bar. It should also be noted that some crimes make the individual removable from the United States. Thus, anyone with a criminal history should try and understand the potential risks by speaking with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney before filing for naturalization.

Conclusion

This case will impact those filing cases subject to the jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Under this case, if one waits long enough and maintains a clean record, that person should be eligible for naturalization. It is noteworthy that the regulation refers to a "reform of character." It is often helpful to be able to show that the individual has addressed whatever the problem was that led to the criminal case. Sometimes alcohol or drug treatment is appropriate. Anger management or other therapy may be needed. Proof that the individual is leading a clean life, with a good work or school record, involvement in positive community or volunteer activities and similar proof can be helpful. While this case is limited to states within the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit, it could be helpful in making an argument in other states, as well. Moreover, the ruling in the case may not be immediately implemented at the local USCIS offices. It is important, therefore, to be prepared with proof of the law when attending naturalization and other interviews.

© 2005, The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C. All Rights Reserved

For full bulletin, please visit http://www.murthy.com/bulletin.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If one commit a serious crime but he is a great scientists that
can make huge difference in national defense, I doubt he
will be barred from natualization. On the contrary, the
government would beg him to stay and may be bar him from
leaving the USA

JoeF said:
This was always a gray area. For example, not registering with Selective Services if required was seen as lack of moral character. Lawyers here in CA, e.g., Carl Shusterman, advocated for some time to wait with naturalization in such cases until the person is 32, since that puts the person past the 5 years. It is nice to see that this now is recognized by the courts (the 9th circuit has jurisdiction over CA.)

The same court ruled School Pledge was unconstituional. Sooner or later
some immigrants would also filed a law suit there, saying the naturalization
oath is unconsititional too because it refers to God too

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/09/14/MNpledge14.DTL

JoeF said:
You can request a modified oath that does not include the reference.
A friend of mine in San Diego did that a couple weeks ago. The examiner didn't like that, but a leteer from an organization that fights for separation of church and state to the CIS director fixed that within 2 days, and he took the oath (3 days after the interview) without the reference to god.
You can read about it here: http://www.kkeane.com/auletter.shtml

This is different from Mr. Newdow's Pledge lawsuit. No student
is forced to recide the pledge. Jehova's Witness already
won on that issue. Newdow want the reference to God in
the Pledge to be out rather than let each student take his
own version. So to be comparable with Newdow,
someone need to file a lawsuit to ask USCIS to just
drop "So Help Me God". But I don;t think it is wise
for any alien to challenge that. Aliens after all
are guests in this "House". The owner of the
house, citizens, can say" If you don't like it,
get out"