Past 90 days after citizenship interview

ssk1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Its been past 90 days since my wife had her citizenship interview, and she passed the interview in Fairfax, VA DO. She had requested for name change and they said the oath will happen in the courthouse in Alexandria, VA. But we have not received any notification yet, what should we do as the next step, when we call the 800 number they say it is in the queue and they do not say any more information. Thank you for your time and help.

Hi i'm in the same boat as your wife , I've got n652 with decision can't be made two months ago at the same Do Fairfax VA and nothing so far , when your wife has had her interview did she get n652 form? and what was marked on it (congratulations you have been approved) or decision can't be made ?

Hi,

Its been past 90 days since my wife had her citizenship interview, and she passed the interview in Fairfax, VA DO. She had requested for name change and they said the oath will happen in the courthouse in Alexandria, VA. But we have not received any notification yet, what should we do as the next step, when we call the 800 number they say it is in the queue and they do not say any more information. Thank you for your time and help.

Your wife should schedule an INFOPASS appointment at the Fairfax DO. She is more likely to get a substantive response during an in-person appointment than by calling an 800 number.

Info Pass Appointment

Yes, we have an infopass appointment on 15th May.

Regarding the interview, the officer said he was satisfied and will recommend the case for citizenship, I am thinking it was a bad idea to have your name changed during citizenship, instead could have got the citizenship and changed the name right after. We did not get a n652 form.

Yes, we have an infopass appointment on 15th May.

Regarding the interview, the officer said he was satisfied and will recommend the case for citizenship, I am thinking it was a bad idea to have your name changed during citizenship, instead could have got the citizenship and changed the name right after. We did not get a n652 form.

It is quite strange the IO did not give N652. Contrary to what he told, he may not have been in a position to approve the case - can be any number of reasons. During the Infopass your spouse could also ask about N652.

Info Pass appointment

Info pAss appointment was done and the rep gave us a form n652, which says Congratulations ..., which we knew already, but other than that the info pass appointment was not useful. He said there are no issues with your case you will have to wait to get scheduled for the oath it can take any number of months is what he said. It has already been more than 90 days, I am not sure what the next step, I can do from my side, please help if you know anything that I can do.

Also my wife is planning to travel and be out of the country for 5 months beginning August, not sure if we will receive the oath letter then and get the passport done. Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Info pAss appointment was done and the rep gave us a form n652, which says Congratulations ..., which we knew already, but other than that the info pass appointment was not useful. He said there are no issues with your case you will have to wait to get scheduled for the oath it can take any number of months is what he said.
Sounds like they gave you a bunch of bureaucratic hogwash. A delay of 90+ days after the interview is pretty unusual for an approved case, even with a name change request and a judicial oath.

It has already been more than 90 days, I am not sure what the next step, I can do from my side, please help if you know anything that I can do.
I suggest that your wife contact the U.S. Representative for the area where you live and both the U.S. Senators for your state and ask them for help with finding out what's holding up her case. Members of Congress routinely make such inquiries as a part of constituent services. At least this way she'll get a more substantive response about what's going on with her application.

Also my wife is planning to travel and be out of the country for 5 months beginning August, not sure if we will receive the oath letter then and get the passport done. Any insight is highly appreciated.

Hopefully by the start of August your wife will have already had her naturalization oath.
But if not, then she should definitely not leave for a 5-month trip abroad.
The continuous residency requirement for naturalization must be satisfied all the way up to the moment of naturalization oath. Before the oath, an IO will question her about any foreign trips that she has taken after the interview.
If there is a trip that may call into question her continuous residency requirement (and a 5 month trip would likely fall into that category), there is a good chance that she would not be allowed to take the oath and her file would be sent back to USCIS for extra scrutiny. This could delay the oath even further.
Plus if the oath is scheduled during the period when she is away, she'd have to request a postponement which would also result in a delay of unpredictable length.

Thank You so much baikal3

One more question,

Do we contact them via Telephone, or should we write a formal letter, if it is a formal letter are there any sample ones you can point us to?

*I suggest that your wife contact the U.S. Representative for the area where you live and both the U.S. Senators for your state and ask them for help with finding out what's holding up her case. Members of Congress routinely make such inquiries as a part of constituent services. At least this way she'll get a more substantive response about what's going on with her application.*

One more question,

Do we contact them via Telephone, or should we write a formal letter, if it is a formal letter are there any sample ones you can point us to?

*I suggest that your wife contact the U.S. Representative for the area where you live and both the U.S. Senators for your state and ask them for help with finding out what's holding up her case. Members of Congress routinely make such inquiries as a part of constituent services. At least this way she'll get a more substantive response about what's going on with her application.*

Each member of Congress has an official website (go to www.house.gove and www.senate.gov to find them). This website will have some contact information and instructions about how to contact that Representative/Senator to request constituent services in dealing with a U.S. government agency. Typically they'll have a web-form, which you can use to submit your request, and they'll usually need you to fax them a signed Privacy Act realease form as well. Anyway there will be instructions on how and what to do there.

One more question,

There are some sample letters in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, but they're not that useful, in my opinion. You would have to re-write them to suit your situation.
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...tters-of-Complaint-to-US-Government-Officials

I think baikal's advice would be the best for you.

ssk1974, do you have any updates on your wife's case? I'm in the same boat as your wife and would like to know if there's anything that can be done.
Thanks

Got text message

ssk1974, do you have any updates on your wife's case? I'm in the same boat as your wife and would like to know if there's anything that can be done.
Thanks

Sent letters to senators, Pres. Obama, DHS Sec.Napotalino, House of Rep, and all of them suggested by baikal, rjackal and others in this thread. I remember mailing to atleast 10 of them. Today got a text message saying they have sent a letter with oath date. Not sure what the date is yet, we might receive the letter in a day or two. If you have not sent letters to the senators etc.,please do so ASAP. Not sure which one worked or if it was a normal process, but atleast it worked finally.

Thank you baikal, rjackal and others for your valuable advise.

Sent letters to senators, Pres. Obama, DHS Sec.Napotalino, House of Rep, and all of them suggested by baikal, rjackal and others in this thread. I remember mailing to atleast 10 of them. Today got a text message saying they have sent a letter with oath date. Not sure what the date is yet, we might receive the letter in a day or two. If you have not sent letters to the senators etc.,please do so ASAP. Not sure which one worked or if it was a normal process, but atleast it worked finally.

Great news! Glad something finally got it moving. Your wife's case was around the 120-day mark where you could have filed a 1447(b) lawsuit.

Congrats, ssk1974. Nice to hear that you have some positive news. My interview date was close to your wife's so I hope I get scheduled soon too. My online status still says I'm in the que so will wait till end of week to see if anything changes. If not, I'll be sending letters too. Thanks so much for the update

Long wait

Congrats, ssk1974. Nice to hear that you have some positive news. My interview date was close to your wife's so I hope I get scheduled soon too. My online status still says I'm in the que so will wait till end of week to see if anything changes. If not, I'll be sending letters too. Thanks so much for the update

Gingerale,

I know this was long time ago, but I am almost in the same situation and I was wondering how long did you eventually wait for Oath. Thanks for sharing.