Passportstamping

Mparth

Registered Users (C)
Does the passport have to be stamped before a card is ordered and processed? I was just talking to someone and they said that FPs are taken again at this stage and after stamping, cards are ordered.

Please advise.....

You need to go for stamping

When you go to stamp the passport, they will fill an I-89 form which is the request for your plastic card. If you don't do it, then the card will not be manufactured at all.
They will ask for your signature and index fingerprint only. It's not the same as the regular fingerprinting process.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Am scheduled to go tomorrow with the primary (he has the apptmt for tomorrow and mine is on the 8th). Not sure if they will let us both in tomorrow or if I have to go back on the 8th.

You may give a try going together

Some offices are very strict with the infopass appointment lately, but some others may allow you to go together, even with only one appointment.
The only way to know is candily tell the officer at the door you didn't know you needed individual appointments.
At our local office it works (probably not for a long time), if they are not overworked. They may also allow you in, but make you wait until all appointements are cleared.
The good side is if they allow you to get in, you only need to cancel the other appointment, and you will have all passports stamped at once.

Good Luck!
Rich

Hey Rich - we are both able to get in this am on one apptmnt. The lady at the counter did not even bat an eyelid about this. All done!

I cancelled my apptmt for the 8th.

What is required for Passport Stamping?

Hello,
Our I-485 was approved yesterday (I saw it online) and I am awaiting for our approval letter. I took an appointment with the local office (Norfolk) using InfoPass as I heard that it's the next step. I did this without the letter yet in my hand because I want to be able to get the stamping done as soon as possible as I have an international trip planned in 3 weeks. This way I will not risk "not" getting an appointment after I receive the letter and before I leave the US for my trip.

Could you please tell me what all documents are required to be taken to the office for this process? This will help me prepare all those docs even before I get the letter.

I would appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot!

Here are the docs you need:

1. Your approval letter (not e-mail) - usually takes about 4-5 days to come to you after the approval.
2. Two passport pictures - the new rules are that you need the one where you look straight ahead. If your passport does not have enough validity, take an extra picture so they can make you a temporary card with the one-year stamp. They will not stamp your passport without enough validity - i think 6-12 months. YOu have to lighlty write your A# on the back of the photographs i pencil.
3. Take your EAD cards and AP docs. They'll take thse back from you.
4. Also, take your I-94 cards - these will be taken away as well.
5 Don't forget to take a printout of your infopass apptmt. The officer takes that from you.
6. Lastly - take your passport :))

The approval letter also tells you what you need to bring.

mparth,
thank for your insight. do you know how long the passport be valid for to have it stamped.
thank you
kstha

kstha said:
mparth,
thank for your insight. do you know how long the passport be valid for to have it stamped.
thank you
kstha

My e-mail print out was accepted in Dallas Texas,I didn`t have to wait for the actual approval letter before i got stamped.

kstha - i think you need between 6-12 months. My stamping was done at the Fairfax, VA office.

Mparth,
Thank you Mparth, my passport will be under 6 months after a week, i am applying for new passport which would take about 2 weeks. I believe there is no time boundary to stamp the passport. Is there anything else that one should know??
485 RD 6/5/03 NSC- EB2
FP 4/8/04
AD 1/27/05 :)
No RFP, only LUD change on 1/28/05 for approval :mad:

Nothing else that I am aware of......

If you can, get your passport stamped asap since that triggers your card being ordered etc.