Passports with Houston CHI for cancellation - Can start applying for OCI?

kashabasha

Registered Users (C)
Hello.

I sent my Indian passport for cancellation to the dreaded Houston CGI last week.Can I go ahead and start OCI application process, i.e., filling part A of the application. How soon can I expect my cancelled pasport back. I enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope. Thank you.

kb

I don't see why you cannot go ahead with the OCI appl. process as long as you have your USP. All you need to send is copies (of your Indian PP too). So, assuming you have copies of both PP's go ahead and then wait until they email you that your OCI papers have arrived at CGIH. Then you'll need originals of both pp's to get your U sticker.

Mario123, Thank you - Another question

Do we need to send a copy of whole passport or just the front andback pages showing name, passport#, issue date, expiry date, etc.

kb

Master USA and kashabasha,

I am a little confused with the parallel processing of OCI and passport cancellations.

When pp is canceled the top right corner of the outer cover is apparently cut.

If we apply for OCI it requires the PP copy. Should the copy of the pp show the cut outer cover or we dont have to worry about the copy not showingthe cut part?

If the cut part is not imp. then I think we can apply in parallel.

Not sure if CGI is a...l about this or not ?

Any input is higly appreciated.

-savithari

cancelled stamp?

I am a little confused with the parallel processing of OCI and passport cancellations.

If we apply for OCI it requires the PP copy. Should the copy of the pp show the cut outer cover or we dont have to worry about the copy not showingthe cut part?

-savithari

Was yours cancelled? If so, besides the cut cover, are there any "CANCELLED" stamps inside? I'll check my previous pp's when I get home later today, but from what I remember they stamp "cancelled" on the pages.

Mario,

I have not cancelled my pp yet. I am waiting for my us pp to come so I can send that as proof.

From your answers, it become even more tough. Cut of the top right corner and this stamp of Cancelled without Prejudice if it is on some pages does the CGI folks look for this in the copy to determine if pp has been cancelled ?

If yes then the could be a bottle neck for OCI and also for Visitor VISA.

Having said that the rule may not be severly imposed to start work on OCI and to issue visitor visa ?

I am in the IT field and I think of the possible situations so I am asking, not being negative or paranoid.

Also are pp's cancelled at visa camps ?

Thanks
-savithari

-savithari

Here is my take on this.

When you cencel the Indian PP the corners are not cut(atleast not in CGI,NY)

To apply for OCI you don't have to have a copy of your cancelled India PP.

And finally you can send your Indian PP for cancellation along with your US PP for OCI U Visa sticker when the status shows documents are received at the consulate that has jurisdiction over your place of residence.

peace of mind

Here's what the intructions on the CGI-H site about sending documents, the passport, in particular says:

"Copy of first and last pages/pages containing personal details of Indian Passport held by the applicant prior to acquiring foreign citizenship. Please do not attach photocopy of all pages of the passport." Nothing about cancelled pp, unless there are other instruction elsewhere (for eg. when you fill out form A.) - those with experience care to elaborate??

I don't know about you guys and how close you are to a CGI, but I plan on simply driving down to the notorious CGI-H and getting the U-sticker in person. I simply cannot sit here and worry about them delaying the process or worse still, losing my passport. They've already done that once :mad:

Mario,

I have not cancelled my pp yet. I am waiting for my us pp to come so I can send that as proof.

From your answers, it become even more tough. Cut of the top right corner and this stamp of Cancelled without Prejudice if it is on some pages does the CGI folks look for this in the copy to determine if pp has been cancelled ?

If yes then the could be a bottle neck for OCI and also for Visitor VISA.

Having said that the rule may not be severly imposed to start work on OCI and to issue visitor visa ?

I am in the IT field and I think of the possible situations so I am asking, not being negative or paranoid.

Also are pp's cancelled at visa camps ?

Thanks
-savithari

Sorry for barging in but:
1.You need not wait for your US passport to get the Indian one cancelled.Your naturalisation certificate is proof enough.

2.Getting your Indian passport cancelled is a legal requirement once you obtain citizenship of another country.If the CG observes that the 'cancelled' stamp is not there on your PP copy,they will call you and ask you to get your Indian PP cancelled anywhere from before accepting you application to when they issue your OCI.WOrst case scenario your OCI app will lie in a dusty corner for a couple of days while you cancel the Indian PP :)

3.I dont know why you expect this to be a bottleneck for visitor visa apps.The fact that you have ever been an Indian citizen does not come into play for a visitor visa.For a visitor visa you just send in the application form the check and your passport.They stamp it and send it back.As simple as that.

4.I dont think they cancel Indian PP's at visa camps.You can either go to the CG personally or mail the pp for cancellation.

Last edited by a moderator:
mario123,
Like I said earlier as per Indian law you are no longer an Indian citizen when you accept citizenship of another country.If you are not an Indian citizen you cant have an indian passport.So an ideal case scenario would be to send in your indian passport for cancellation as soon as you get foreign citizenship.

In reality what i have seen is that if your Indian passport has lapsed they dont bother much about it.But if it is still valid they do ask you to get it cancelled.And that can be either in the pre application stage or just before they issue you your OCI.

mario123,
Like I said earlier as per Indian law you are no longer an Indian citizen when you accept citizenship of another country.If you are not an Indian citizen you cant have an indian passport.So an ideal case scenario would be to send in your indian passport for cancellation as soon as you get foreign citizenship.

In reality what i have seen is that if your Indian passport has lapsed they dont bother much about it.But if it is still valid they do ask you to get it cancelled.And that can be either in the pre application stage or just before they issue you your OCI.

mangal969,

First of all, THANKS for answering my posts.

I am still not clear on HOW/WHEN to cancel the pp: In post #10 above, you say the if I don't cancel BEFORE the OCI appl., they'll notice it in the photocopies I send in bec. it won't have the "cancelled" stamp. Then, in this post, you say that I can cancel "just before they issue the OCI" (meaning that an application would have already been sent in withouy the cancelled stamp).

The problem here is that if have to cancel before the OCI appl., then it means an additional delay of weeks/months before the notorious CGIH returns my pp.

Please clarify.