passport

kishore30

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I have come to know through some of my friends who crossed the border and this is what they had to say ... passport numbers are been noted while crossing the Canada border and vise versa. If anyone knows this is true please post their experience in this regard... even about stamping the passport..

Thanks

Here is my 2 cents:

There are numerous land border crossings between the US and Canada (assuming that is what you are referring to). There are number of booths on each crossing and there are a number of people who change shifts and work at these booths. Me and my wife cross the windsor-detroit tunnel 5 times a week and been doing that for a year now.

To this day, I can never say that there has been a consistent questioning procedure. I can almost relate numerous variety of questioning that I have experienced and 99% of them have been a normal courteous exchanges. Based on this, I think that if someone mentions that a certain thing happened to them, that may not necessarily reflect a written policy of the immigration and custom services of either of the countries. It may only be the dicretionary action of that border official over that particular individual on that day.

In other words, to this day, I have not seen anyone noting the passport number or stamping the passport (again, in my particular case only).

Here is an experience. This officer at the US entry point saw my wife's cancelled visa and asked why her visa was cancelled, even though, if he paid attention (maybe he did), he would have seen "Cancelled WITHOUT PREJUDICE" on the visa. He then found another active visa. Even though we do not need a stamped visa to enter (we just happen to have one from our previous lives!), he decided to check her H1B validity and punched in those numbers in his computer. A week or so later, we happened to go through his booth and he simply waved us through without even looking at any of our documents.

As far as I am concerned, those two actions of his were solely based on his discretion.

So, people, take your documents and have a fun border crossing without fretting too much. Take care.;)

Please help

Thank you very much for your information.

1. Can they be able to track when we visited US? and how long we are in US? (right now we have PR landing papers)

2. And what is the best way to cross the boarder from US to Canada means using US GC or Canadian GC?

3. My wife is Canadian GC holder and i have US GC as well as canadian GC. We are planning to apply Candian PR cards next month. Our address in canada is Toronto. My question is Can i cross the boarder alone to windsor and have notaries etc for the PR Card application at Windsor? even though my address in canada is Toronto?

4. Can i be able to get notary with out my wife? for my wife's canadian PR Card application?

5. Can you please give some information where can i find notaries in windsor and the financial institutions to pay the PR Card fee? Tel numbers or addresses

Thanks in advance

please help dimple

i saw one of your post in boarder cross experience. You said they are asking some documentation while crossing the boarder. I am a US GC card holder and working in US. My wife has canadian GC. We are planning to go to canada next month.

Can you please suggest us what will they can ask us while we enter in US. I will not get any probelm while coming to back to US, but i dont know what kind of questions will they be asked to my wife? we are planning to cross the boarder to US separately. Can you suggest what is the best way to cross the boarders. My wife does not have any status in US. If INS people asked why you are going to US to my wife can she be able to say that she is visiting me?

please help

Kishore30:

Sorry for not replying soon enough. Was busy the entire weekend. Here is my opinion since you have multiple queries and I am a bit confused.

Documentation that they may ask:

Passport, driver's license, PR card or landing papers, stamped visa if you need them (based on your citizenship).

You say that you have both US GC and Cdn PR. Technically you are allowed to have only one. I assume you are currently living in the US. Based on that, when you enter Canada, if you claim Cdn PR and if they see your US GC, they may question your intention and you current stay - be prepared for those.

If you cross using US GC, they will ask for the purpose of your visit to Canada.

The only way that they can track you is if they stamp your passport. Otherwise, usually, they can track your frequency of border crossing using the car's license plate. This is a fact since the border guys know that I am a frequent crosser as they have asked couple of times why I cross the border frequently.

Yes, you can get notaries in Windsor - as long as they are in Canada. Your wife has to be physically present in order for the notary to sign off. Notarising is done to verify the signature of the person with the person present physically.

I used a lawyer named Gerri Koski in Windsor. His firm is "Bondy, Riley, Koski" - Phone number - 519-258-1641. You will need a daytime weekday appointment with him. His regular charge is $20 per document. However, he charged us $70 total for about 6 or 8 documents since we used him as our attorney for our house.
This guy is located in the corner of University Ave and Victoria Ave.
170 Univ Ave, Suite 310.

At the same corner, there is a TD Canada Trust Bank where you can pay the fee.

About your wife not having a status in the US other than a "visitor", there may be issues. She may say that she is visiting a friend. I would not advise her saying that she is visiting you since they may determine her as an immigrant and not a "visitor" and turn her back.

Remember, as a Canadian PR, you are not allowed to drive a US plated car into Canada unless you are driving a UHaul truck (as some one in this forum suggested) or your employer's car with a commuter's permit. So whatever story you decide to tell them, keep this factor in mind.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks dimple

Dimple i belive you applied for PR card, and i hope you can give answers to my questions, thanks in advance

I really appreciated your help. Can you please give me the full address with postal code for your lawyer and Bank so that i can get directions from the internet.

You said we can pay the fees in TD bank, can i pay in US dollars or not? Or what is the easiest way for paying fees?

Ya you are right i am in US now, and i dont have any stamp in my passport. I am planning to take Greyhound and cross the border through the detroit windsor tunnel. If you have any suggestions please suggest me...

My questions are

1. I do not know that we can not apply PR Card once we pass the
dead line. Is there any tel no in US to enquire about PR Card?

2. I have got PR card in 2001 june. I am now applying PR card. What did you filled in your residential address in canada? Question no 1 in Pr card application.

3. Question no 13, address history what did you filled, is that US address?

4. Question no 14, work address is that US address?

5. Question 15, absensed for canada, if i put my absenes from canada since i become canadian GC it would be about 2 years, i hope i wont get any troble for that, right?

6. Which part did you filled for Declaration of Guarantor or Statutory declaration in liew of guarantor?

7. If you fill the statutory declaration in liew of guarantor what did you fill the reason for not obtain a guarantor? and what are the particulars of identity documents and whose signature?

8. How hard to get the notary in canada? and where can i pay the fees and which form? can i pay by cash or not? I am planning to go to windsor and get notarized all of my and my wifes documents? can you please give some addresses or tel numbers for banks and notaries?

9. With out my wife can i be able to get notary for my wifes PR card paper work? i am planning to go to canada alone.

Thanks a lot for your information

Last edited by a moderator:
Scarlethawk has legitimate questions that you may want to be prepared while crossing the border...

<Dimple i belive you applied for PR card, and i hope you can give answers to my questions, thanks in advance >

Yes, I have in my possession the PR card.

<I really appreciated your help. Can you please give me the full address with postal code for your lawyer and Bank so that i can get directions from the internet. >

176 University Ave West
Suite 310
Windsor, ON N9A 5P1
Canada

It is a high rise building with bold sign that says HSBC (HSBC Bank is located on the main floor). These guys are located on the third floor.

The TD bank is located on the same corner (Univ and Victoria). You won't miss the bright green sign for TD Canada Trust.

<You said we can pay the fees in TD bank, can i pay in US dollars or not? Or what is the easiest way for paying fees? >

The bank will need $50 Cdn per person. You can certainly pay them in USD the equivalent of Cdn amount or you can certainly use your US ATM card to pull out Cdn cash (you may end up paying extra fee for the ATM). TD is pretty flexible.

<Ya you are right i am in US now, and i dont have any stamp in my passport. I am planning to take Greyhound and cross the border through the detroit windsor tunnel. If you have any suggestions please suggest me... >

Using Cdn PR, you will be asked to produce your IMM1000. If using US GC, you certainly will face some questioning.

My questions are

<1. I do not know that we can not apply PR Card once we pass the dead line. Is there any tel no in US to enquire about PR Card? >

You can apply for your PR card anytime you want. You just cannot use commercial carriers to enter Canada without your PR card after Dec 31, 2003.

No, there are no tel numbers from US about PR card that I know of.

<2. I have got PR card in 2001 june. I am now applying PR card. What did you filled in your residential address in canada? Question no 1 in Pr card application.>

You mean you got PR status in 2001 June ???

I live in Windsor. I guess that eliminates all the problems you are facing...

I wouldn't suggest you providing a false address since it will come back to haunt you at a later stage.
Fill in the address where you live. You are allowed to stay out of Canada for a certain time without a problem...

<3. Question no 13, address history what did you filled, is that US address? >

Wherever you lived for the past 5 years. I have address history in both Canada and the US and thats what I put.

<4. Question no 14, work address is that US address? >

Yes, since you are working in the US.

<5. Question 15, absensed for canada, if i put my absenes from canada since i become canadian GC it would be about 2 years, i hope i wont get any troble for that, right? >

You shouldn't since you are still within your legal time limit.

<6. Which part did you filled for Declaration of Guarantor or Statutory declaration in liew of guarantor? >

Statutory .... in lieu of a guarantor. Thats why I needed a lawyer to notarise my documents rather than providing a Guarantor.

<7. If you fill the statutory declaration in liew of guarantor what did you fill the reason for not obtain a guarantor? and what are the particulars of identity documents and whose signature? >

Since I was'nt in Canada for more than 2 years, I cannot get a Guarantor - thats the reason. I landed in early 2002.

Take all the documents that the application asks you to. Signature would be of the notary - in my case the lawyer I previously mentioned.

<8. How hard to get the notary in canada? and where can i pay the fees and which form? can i pay by cash or not? I am planning to go to windsor and get notarized all of my and my wifes documents? can you please give some addresses or tel numbers for banks and notaries? >

Its not hard to find notaries. They are like fleas all over the place. They just turn out to be expensive sometimes and need a daytime weekday appointment.

Yes, you can pay the notary (lawyers mostly) cash.

I only know of the name and address of the notary (lawyer) and the bank that I gave you above.

<9. With out my wife can i be able to get notary for my wifes PR card paper work? i am planning to go to canada alone. >

NO. She has to sign the papers in the presence of the notary.

<Thanks a lot for your information >

You're welcome and good luck.

Thanks a lot

Dimple,

Thank you very very much for your information.

You said if i use Cdn GC to enter Canada, i need to show my IMM1000 document. I have no problem of showing this, but do they ask any questions like where do you work and how long i am in US etc? If i say i am in US for about two years it shouldnt be a problem right? We (me and my wife) are thinking to cross the border separately. What do you suggest, since you are frequent traveler?

Since our address in canada is in Toronto, i hope i wont get any troble with notary because residential address for my wife is canada so do we need to show any documents to notary to get notarized?

Thanks for your help again and again

<You said if i use Cdn GC to enter Canada, i need to show my IMM1000 document. I have no problem of showing this, but do they ask any questions like where do you work and how long i am in US etc? If i say i am in US for about two years it shouldnt be a problem right? We (me and my wife) are thinking to cross the border separately.>

Yes, they most probably will ask about your current residence. I do not think there should be any probelm. You can always say that you are planning on settling in Canada after another 6 months or something like that.

You can cross separately. I am quite sure that your wife may face more questioning entering the US.

<Since our address in canada is in Toronto, i hope i wont get any troble with notary because residential address for my wife is canada so do we need to show any documents to notary to get notarized?>

The notary just verifies completion of all items in the application form along with physical presence of you both. If her address is in Toronto, she can continue to maintain the same story throughout without contradicting herself.

For the most part, you should be fine. Just be prepared for some questioning at the border that usually happens depending on the officer.

Thanks for your help again and again

help

Dimple

You have been a great help, thanks a lot. I have few more questions, please help.

We are planning to Canada somewhere in the month of March, Can you please tell me if we can get any busses to travel from Detriot to Windsor and if we can travel please let me know the phone number where I can contact about such details if possible.

If we can get any apartments at lower rate in Windsor ?
What will the approximate cost of an Appartment be... are there any best places where we can get both work(even labour) and an apartment nearby without driving....

Do you know anyone who wants to share rooms....

Thankyou once again
Kishore

Check my posting replying to your other thread.

Also, apartments typically requires you to pay one month's rent as a security deposit or what they call here as the "Last month". So you will see something like "First and last required" meaning first month's rent and a last month's rent where the last month will be the last month of your lease term (1 yr or 6 mo term).

I will have an upstairs duplex unit - 1 bedroom - available starting March 3, 2003. Rent is $500 plus gas + electric. 1 year lease + first and last are required.

Also check www.windsorstar.com for rental classifieds. That will give you an idea of the rental market.

Hi dimple & Kishore

I have some questions about customs inspection when I land.

I am confused how to use my own car both in US and Canada.
I should register my car in Canada within 60 days once I declare the car at customs when I land, right? Can I drive the car to come back US without any problem when I cross the POE of US? Is it still valid for my US plate? Can I use the car in US without any problem?

Thanks in advance!

Once you declare your car (which can be done at a later date after landing) at customs, you will have to pay a fee of about $120- $190 and they will send some forms to your canadian address. This form will give you a deadline to perform the required modifications on the car. The modifications typically are seat belt tethers, daytime running lights, etc. You can have these done at any Canadian Tire Stores. You also have to obtain a Recall clearance certificate from the car manufacturer (not delaer) and have a emissions inspection done (at Cdn Tire).

Once these are done, take the inspection and modification certificate to the Ministry of Transport to register your car with the province.

Remember - you MUST have the title to the car. Leased and US financed cars are not eligible for registration. Your car must be admissible according to RIV. To check, visit www.riv.ca. Everyone named in the title must be physically present while registering the car.

At the Ministry of Transport, you must produce the title and proof of insurance (Insurance must be from the province you will register your car).

Regarding your other query - since all these takes time, yes, you can still drive with your US plate in the US and Canada. In canada, make sure you carry the customs papers to prove that your importation is in process. Don't remove any plates off your car until you get your new one.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, dimple! It is very useful.

One more question:
Can I declare my car on "the list of goods to follow". I mean I don't decalre my car when I land, but list it on the follow goods list, so I don't need to pay much tax when I go to Canada next time.

You do not have to declare your in the goods to follow list. This is a separate procedure called "processing RIV" according to the Customs slang.

You do not pay any taxes or duties irrespective of when you "import" or "RIV" the car. You pay what is called as the Airconditioning fee/surcharge and processing fee and this fee, I think, depends on the car make and model.