Passport

bhoonbhu

Registered Users (C)
folks could somebody pls tell me if I absolutely need my passport for the FP process, or an unexpired US driver license will do?
My passport is going for renewal at the Indian embassy and I don't know if it'll be back in time for the FP. :confused:

fingerprinting

another follow up question: is it possible to re-schedule the fingerprinting appointment? :confused:

did not need passport

i did my FP last month. They only need one picture ID - driver's license was fine. I did take my passport though. They did not ask for it. You should be fine without one. If you have photocopies of your passport, take those along.

I've read on this forum where some people appeared for FP before the scheduled date and time. If you take the notice along, request them to accomodate. If they are not busy, they normally do. If you do not have too long a drive, its worth a shot. The worst possibility is they will say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bhoonbhu,
I did my FP in Newark, NJ without the passport. Initially, they asked the passport and they said that passport is required. I told them that I sent for the stamping. And they called the supervisor and he asked me the any other photo id rather than DL. I showed my photocopies of passport. He varied my DL with copies of passport and allowed me to do FP. This is my personal experience. And agian its depending on person to person.

It is always better to take 2 photo Id's (DL and passport preferrably). In my case they even asked the SSN card. I told that I didnt bring it. They took that answer and the FP was done.

bhoonbhu said:
folks could somebody pls tell me if I absolutely need my passport for the FP process, or an unexpired US driver license will do?
My passport is going for renewal at the Indian embassy and I don't know if it'll be back in time for the FP. :confused:

Titan01 said:
It is always better to take 2 photo Id's (DL and passport preferrably). In my case they even asked the SSN card. I told that I didnt bring it. They took that answer and the FP was done.

I did my FP at newark and i had my EAD card with me. I think EAD card works very well as they are familiar with it. Carrying passport and DL is better because you wont know when the rules change.

bhoonbhu said:
Can the fingerprinting appointment date be "postponed" or re-scheduled? :confused:

Yes the fp date could be rescheduled at a later date. You need to call the number that is on your notice. But note that by doing so your case might get delayed a bit.

It is ok if you default a little bit or go a little early for the FP. Depending on the rush the local center might let you do the FP on a different date as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
bhoonbhu said:
what do you mean by "default a little bit"

What i meant was that you could go a few days later than the scheduled date and still the service center might take you in depending on the rush and their mood.

I dont know what is unclear about it.