Passport Validity

MapleSyrup

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Does anyone know if your passport is required to have a certain number of months left before expiry when it is requested for stamping?

This is for PR visa stamping.

When they request it do they say you need x months validity or don't they care?

sorry i'm a little confused. what do u mean by PR visa stamping? :)
you'r a PR who is getting a visa stamped? it would depend on the country that is stamping visa then.
here's what i know 6 months is for
you'r a canadian PR visiting US and you need a visa, passport should be valid for next 6 months.
you'r an indian wanting canadian PR, when you file the application first time, passport validity again should be 6 months
most countries you visit, they will ask for your passport validity from the time you enter their country to be 6 months.

hope that helps

If your passport is valid for six months and you get your PR visa stamp in it, then the visa will expire with your passport, unless the medical examination date expires before that. So, having a passport that is valid longer than 6 months is highly desirable for PR visa stamping.

For non-immigrant visa, passport should be valid for at least 6 months at the time of application.

If you passport is not vaild for 6 months, generally no new Visa will be issued on it, you will be asked to provide a fresh passport.

If any one whose passport has validity of less then 6 months should apply for a new one.

but what is this PR visa? when you become a PR, you either get the landing papers or you might get the PR card, so there's no stamping as such on the passport, right?

They will stamp a visa (PR) in your passport that is valid for single entry only. I just checked with a lawyer and learned that 12 months passport validity is required for PR visa stamp.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Can anyone else confirm the 12 month validity. That sounds a bit long to me.

Anyway, even if it is only 6 month validity I have a dilema. One of my children's passport will probably be less than 6 months from expiry when I get the request to send the passports. But my home country does not extend until there is only 4 months left on it.

Can I ask that they hang on while I get the passport renewd? Will they allow this delay? How long will they allow?

Does any one else have or had a similar issue/problem?