Passport Status & Delays

cjoshi

Registered Users (C)
I applied for US Passport on 12/23/08. The travel.state.gov still hasn't updated my information. The check for $75.00 was cleared on 12/28/08. Is this normal for them not to have status updated? It has been 7 business days. I know this is holiday season and all, but what has been the usual experience for you folks? The lady at the post office told me ETA was about 3 weeks. I didn't pay for expedited service.

i am on the same boat, i applied on the 20th of DEC and my information doesn't appear online either, called the NPIC and they said my information is in their system, and they said to me to expect my PP in the mid of JAN,
so do u applied only the book or the both?

I applied for book. I thought about applying for card, but decided against it because of it's limited use (only for road travel). At least that's one less thing to worry about. :)

so where did u apply for ur PP?
it takes about 3 weeks for the Department to issue the PP since they will enter ur information to their system and have a name check, and about another week to ship, so it totally one month, however, it may take shorter, there is a lot of people on this forum reported received their PP in 2 weeks or less, with expedite or regular process, it depends, so dont worry and u will receive it, also u might give the NPIC a call sometimes later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I applied in Chantilly, VA (which is a suburb in DC Metropolitan area). The thing is that I won't be traveling until May of 09, but I need to submit my passport information to my school that way they can process my information for the summer trip.

Hopefully, I get it soon. :cool:

waiting for passport

Had applied for my wife's passport on 12/08 ,still waiting :-(
Status says passport not found and called the no and they say it is in the system

hitraj, where did ur wife applied?

i am curious how the PP center works? what's the procedures an PP will be issued?

she applied on 12/08/2008 in merrifield post office in VA

i believe ur wife's PP is on the way and she will receive it soon, not counting the holidays and the weekends, it's almost 20 business days. so u may call them and let them know the issue.
it sounds like it takes longer to get a PP in this period.

I applied for my passport on 12/30/08 with USPS Expedited service. Yesterday, I called the National Passport Information Center @1-877-4-USA-PPT to check on my status, I was told that my passport was already sent out to me. And today, I just received it. My passport application status was never shown in the web site.

congrats, PC1337
just called today, the lady told me my application is still processing, i mailed since 12/20/2008,

I applied passport book on Dec 17th at local post office (Raleigh NC) with regular service.
Got passport on Dec 26th, and naturalization certificate next day.

It was mailed from office in New Orleans.

I did check status online, on Dec 22th, it said "can not locate", on Dec 23th, it said "passport has been mailed back to me"

Hope this helps.

Maybe we should make a sticky thread about passport delays and the state dept web site that does not work.- :confused:

i think it based on the PP agency, my application is in the main PP center at NH, so what about all yours?
did some research and found this might be useful

Select Program Descriptions
Travel Document Issuance System (TDIS) comprises applications and systems that support the
issuance process from application to adjudication and credentialing to mailing, including:
• Payment by customer
• Application imaging and scanning
• Data entry of application information
• Applicant photo imaging/scanning
• Image quality review and assurance
• Security background checks with external data sources
• Adjudication and credentialing
• Passport printing
• Automated mailing of passports
• Performance and management reporting on application, book, employee, and agency production
• Emergency issuance processes
• Support for overseas passport issuance
• Integration with other passport-related archive systems.

I called the National Passport Information Center yesterday, and the lady informed me that my passport was mailed out on 1/7/09. Today is 1/9/09. I hope I get it today or tomorrow. She said that it was mailed from the DC center, and I live in the DC area. The website, however, is still showing that my information is not to be found. I will keep checking the website for status to see if they ever update it.

Yes, there is currently a 'delay' in passport processing, at least in the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions. The online status does not work either. However, if you call the agency, they seem to be very responsive and polite. That's the best way to get a status.

The 1 week send-to-receive time reported by many people is either not true, or applies to people in the west/southeast/midewest. Just like N-400 processing, passport processing, too, is region-dependent.

No worries, just set expectations to 3-4 weeks if you are in the northeast or mid-Atlantic regions. It's normal. With the holiday season now over, it will still take at least 2 weeks and the online status will still be useless. No one has bothered to fix that.

just called NPIC today and finally both my book and card are completed and mailed today from NH, the lady told me if i want the tracking information i'd call back 2nite after 7:30
so least i have the proof to show i am a US CITIZEN soon and i am able to obtain the census job next week.

an update: it was sent out this afternoon at 2:46 by the priority mail, and i got the tracking information says Status: Electronic Shipping Info Received
the lady told me this tracking number is for the passport only and my card and certificate will be send separately, however, the online status still doesn't appear.

however, the expedited service really works sometimes in NY, our member and friend"PC1337" applied his PP on the 30th of DEC and received it on 01/07/2009 with expedited service and really cut the time shorter

so if you don't wanna wait too long and have extra money, go for the expedited service, otherwise, go with regular and just be patient.