Passport stamping

lucky65

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
Thanks for all yr help.
I have one more urgent question. My spouse's passport has already expeired. I was therefore concerned if USCIS would stamp the GC on the expired passport.

I had read some where in this post that they could also provide the stamp on a different piece of paper.. Is this true? Can someone help in this regards?

Hey lucky65

I am the example for u r situation: I went to stamping to DETROIT on july 7th,2004.at that time..my passport expiry date is june20th, 2005 so , they said..they can't put a stamp on the passport which is having less than 1 year effective date.they did ask me one more extra photo..other than 2 phots...and they stamped on a I-94 (bigger than) kind of paper with my picture and all other details with iNS seal..they said this is morethan enough to re enter into US. Now i have renewed my passport in chicago in one day without any problem...now i am taking I-94 kind of card with me to india next month.
It does not make any difference whether u get it stamped in PP or Card ..but as u said...u r spouse PP is expired...i doubt it even they stamp on paper...my personal advise is if u come under chicago..better go to chicagi indian consulate and pay 90 dollas extra other than 40 dollars fee,u will get on the same day..if u want to know more about this.. u can send me mail to : comedykavali@yahoo.com , provide u r number i will give a call...
i think this is morethan enough.best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
passport stamped successfully

spouse said:
I am the example for u r situation: I went to stamping to DETROIT on july 7th,2004.at that time..my passport expiry date is june20th, 2005 so , they said..they can't put a stamp on the passport which is having less than 1 year effective date.they did ask me one more extra photo..other than 2 phots...and they stamped on a I-94 (bigger than) kind of paper with my picture and all other details with iNS seal..they said this is morethan enough to re enter into US. Now i have renewed my passport in chicago in one day without any problem...now i am taking I-94 kind of card with me to india next month.
It does not make any difference whether u get it stamped in PP or Card ..but as u said...u r spouse PP is expired...i doubt it even they stamp on paper...my personal advise is if u come under chicago..better go to chicagi indian consulate and pay 90 dollas extra other than 40 dollars fee,u will get on the same day..if u want to know more about this.. u can send me mail to : comedykavali@yahoo.com , provide u r number i will give a call...
i think this is morethan enough.best of luck

Spouse - Thanks for yr input.

I am happy to say that we (myself, wife and son) got our stamping done successfully today (yes USCIS stamped the GC stamp on my wife's expired passport). By great God's grace!!

As u have rightly mentioned USCIS believes that the stamp can be done on PP or blank I-94 card. The PP is a travel document but the GC stamp is a visa for permanent residency and employment authorization and its validity is not to be associated with PP validity. Also, this stamp is only temporary but is required to initiate the paperwork for i551 (plastic card) which is the real thing and then would not be associated with yr PP anymore.

Thanks again for yr help.

Last edited by a moderator:
lucky65 said:
I have one more urgent question. My spouse's passport has already expeired. I was therefore concerned if USCIS would stamp the GC on the expired passport.

They will give her/him a I-94 like card with I-551 stamp on it - which is equivalent to PP stamp.

Stamp Question

Hey Guys,
Overly excited here today. I got approved after interview. Question for you: What does the stamp look like and its color? Mine is red and it reads:

PROCESSED FOR I-551. TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE. VALID UNTIL 9/22/2005. EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATIZED.

It looks so primitive and rudimentary. I was just wondering if they all look the same, or different offices have different ones.

Please share yours when you get a chance.

Thanks!

cemol said:
Hey Guys,
Overly excited here today. I got approved after interview. Question for you: What does the stamp look like and its color? Mine is red and it reads:

PROCESSED FOR I-551. TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE. VALID UNTIL 9/22/2005. EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATIZED.

It looks so primitive and rudimentary. I was just wondering if they all look the same, or different offices have different ones.

Please share yours when you get a chance.

Thanks!

You got the right one: right content and right color!
:D

My lawyer advised not to renew my H-1 as AP would allow me to travel. I agreed with letting my H-1 expire but once that happened -even though I had my AP then, I decided against traveling home after how hard I had worked to get my greencard. Not having a valid visa on my passport anymore bothered me.

I am from a country that is of security concern to the US and that made uncomfortable about traveling home and reentering the US with the potential of being injustly singled out at a port of entry because of my nationality and who knows, complicating my reentry and my pending I-485.

CONCLUSION: I didn't travel home just as a precaution.