Passport stamping

faitas

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus.

For some reason (I have to go to my permanent address, to do the samping), if I delay the passport stamping(little bit busy in office).. will it create problem. I have to go with my family.

Can I try the BCIS local office of temporary address(BCIS knows about it) to do the stamping.

Is it true that "the stamp is only needed to bridge the gap between approval and getting the actual card".

My question is .. is there any relation betn plastic card and passport stamping.

Just want to know.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
faitas,

The ONLY reason you need PPS is to travel BEFORE you receive the plastic. I know of many people who did NOT PPS.

So, if you do NOT have travel in mind, you do NOT have to worry about PPS.

Sorry, I do NOT know the answers to your other questions...

Good luck and please keep us posted...

Thanks nfn...

Good Info to know...

I just wanted to know though definitely I will go for PPS..

I heard they do the finger priniting again, so its not for the Plastic card right.. I mean its not pre-requisite..

faitas said:
Thanks nfn...

Good Info to know...

I just wanted to know though definitely I will go for PPS..

I heard they do the finger priniting again, so its not for the Plastic card right.. I mean its not pre-requisite..

The passport stamp is the ONLY valid proof of your permanent resident status for travel AND work authorization. No other document is accepted for LPR status, including approval notice.
Adults 14 years and older need fingerprinting again for including the prints on the card.

nkm-oct23,

I agree with you...till one receives the plastic...Once received the stamp is NOT needed anymore...For example when one gets a new passport, NO need to stamp it...the plastic is enough...

If one is NOT anticipating travel between approval and receiving plastic, stamping is NOT necessary...

I know of many who never stamped because they did NOT need to travel BEFORE receiving plastic...

nfn said:
nkm-oct23,

I agree with you...till one receives the plastic...Once received the stamp is NOT needed anymore...For example when one gets a new passport, NO need to stamp it...the plastic is enough...

If one is NOT anticipating travel between approval and receiving plastic, stamping is NOT necessary...

I know of many who never stamped because they did NOT need to travel BEFORE receiving plastic...

Well, travel is not the only reason. Stamp is needed to prove employment authorization to your employer, approval notice will not do. For adults post approval Fingerprinting is also mandatory for producing the actual cards.

card order?

If you do not do stamping then how do you trigger a card order?

Just got approved & have EAD/AP valid till 03/05, so not in need of stamping.

Being in bay area, we will have to go to atlanta for stamping & would like to avoid if possible.

Any idea?

Raksha.

You guys seem to be missing an important point. It is when you go for stamping that you fill out the I-89 form that is the application for the actual plastic card. No I-89, no card. That's my understanding anyway. True, you may not need a stamp, unless you plan to travel or get a new job. But you still need to pay CIS a visit so they get your photo, fingerprint and I-89.

Hi All,

I think gatonegro is right. My understanding is, unless you go to the local office and fill out I-89, fingerprinted and submit the photo, the plastic card will not be ordered. So, paying a visit to the local office indeed triggers the plastic card ordering.

Also, I believe, once you get approved, you are not in the adjustment-of-status anymore. So, technically your EAD and AP will not be valid anymore.

Just my 2 cents..

gc_ckr

Raksha,

nkm-oct23 , curiousGeorge, gatonegro and gc_ckr are CORRECT:

1. "After your I-485 is approved, your EAD and AP are invalid".

2. "unless you go to the local office and fill out I-89, fingerprinted and submit the photo, the plastic card will not be ordered".

My point was that stamping in itself is NOT necessary unless you need to travel BEFORE receiving the plastic...

Sorry for the confusion... :eek:

Better to get it stamped on the passport. This will help you to travel in case of emergency if your card takes a while to get to you. Also, you can use that as proof for employment till you get your card. And god forbid, you lose your card, you can continue to use the stamp till you get a replacement...

only see advantages in going for a stamp on the passport.

Anitha R,
GOOD points...

faitas,
Please update us on your visit to the office...

Anitha R said:
Better to get it stamped on the passport. This will help you to travel in case of emergency if your card takes a while to get to you. Also, you can use that as proof for employment till you get your card. And god forbid, you lose your card, you can continue to use the stamp till you get a replacement...

only see advantages in going for a stamp on the passport.
Not only there are advantages, it is also the LAW. Immigration law requires all immigrant aliens to carry proof of registration. The only proof legally recognized are the actual green card or the temporary I-551 stamp. THe approval notice is NOT an actual proof of LPR status.

Thanks to all for clarification. Some more questions,

1. Do children under 14 have to stamp their passports too? Can they get the card without stamping passport? All that the officer asks is I-89 and photos but that can be provided by parent.

2. Does spouse (derivative applicant) needs to stamp passport and fill out I-89 to get Plastic Card? Can this not be done by Primary applicant and attach spouse's photos? Can spouse get plastic card in this case?