Passport stamping refused, what to do?

LCSilence

Registered Users (C)
My I485 was approved on Feb 3rd. Today I went USCIS Seattle office to get my passport stamped. I showed the officer my approval notice, explained to them that my EAD is expiring in a month, I need stamp to continue to work. But they refused to do so, saying the approval letter didn't instruct them to do so.

What should do in this situation?

thanks,

LCSilence said:
My I485 was approved on Feb 3rd. Today I went USCIS Seattle office to get my passport stamped. I showed the officer my approval notice, explained to them that my EAD is expiring in a month, I need stamp to continue to work. But they refused to do so, saying the approval letter didn't instruct them to do so.

thanks,

don't worry, an immigration officer told me that they don't stamp the passport anymore, just wait for the GC card to arrive, you should be fine.

mila2006 said:
don't worry, an immigration officer told me that they don't stamp the passport anymore, just wait for the GC card to arrive, you should be fine.

Then how does someone travel into and out of the USA without the stamp or the card? The I-551 stamp is necessary temporary evidence of permanent residency for airlines to accept you on board to fly back to the USA if you haven't got your physical card yet. Although an officer might have told you that, I haven't seen anywhere that this is official policy...

Last edited by a moderator:
you could go in at the uscis office, and inform them that you have not received your card, and that you really need to go out of the country.

they have no other recourse but stamp your passport.

LCSilence said:

thanks,

cool_change said:
you could go in at the uscis office, and inform them that you have not received your card, and that you really need to go out of the country.

they have no other recourse but stamp your passport.
We tried the same route but the local SC said 'ONLY IN MEDICAL EMERGENCY' will they tstamp the card. My mom has to be in Canada with me and her GC is expiring in 3 weeks and still she has no notice of her biometrics appt. HAS ANYONE FOUND A WAY TO GET PASSPORT STAMPED WHILE WAITING FOR BIOMETRICS APPT SO THAT THEY CAN TRAVEL BACK AND FORTH FROM USA? PLS HELP MANY THANKS!

Passport Stamp

I am in the same boat here. My application for a GC was approved back in 2003 but never recived the GC. They use to stamp in my passport as evidence of my status. Recently the field office refused to stamp my passport and informed me that there is a new policy requires ANYONE who wants a benifit "including the passport stamp" to go through a new FBI check. Has any one experienced the same within the last 60 days?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get my passport stamped the second time I went to the office. I was lucky to be handled by another officer. However, they only give away 3 month stamp as USCIS is supposed to speed up the card issurance to avoid potential frauds. (It is easier to fake a stamp than a card.)

In your case, I suggest you get your congressman involved. So they can keep the pressure on USCIS until you receive your green card.

The CIS still stamps passports in Los Angeles, but it depends on how long it is taking CIS to issue the I-551 card to you. You can sue them for delay if you don't receive your I-551 card in a year.

interesting

Hi,

I didn't know you could sue CIS if the card is not done in one year. My case is such that I filed I-90 in Jan 06 in TSC. Uptil now apart from receipt I have been told my case has been delayed due to too many routine background checks. No date is given for th completion of the process.

Can I sue them if I don't get my card by Jan 07?

Thanks