Passport Stamping refused, what to do?

LCSilence

Registered Users (C)
My I485 was approved a while back. I am currently working on EAD which will expire in a month. I went to Seattle WA USCIS office to get my passport stamped. However, they told me they don't give away temp approval any more.

I am in a limbo right now. I don't know when I will receive the actual GC card. My EAD is expiring, local office refuse to stamp passport. What should I do to keep working? Can I just use the approval notice as work authorization?

Thanks,

LCSilence said:
My I485 was approved a while back. I am currently working on EAD which will expire in a month. I went to Seattle WA USCIS office to get my passport stamped. However, they told me they don't give away temp approval any more.

I am in a limbo right now. I don't know when I will receive the actual GC card. My EAD is expiring, local office refuse to stamp passport. What should I do to keep working? Can I just use the approval notice as work authorization?

Thanks,

I think you need to more specific about the events and timeline before you will find many answers from people here. The normal sequence of events is once your I-485 is approved you have to go to the USCIS office, and provide the photos and information for them to order your Green Card. At the same time you get your passport stamped with temporary evidence of permanent residence status. How were you able to initiate a card order without getting a temporary evidence stamp?

I485 was approved on Feb 3. I only received an approval notice which told me that I may be required to give biomedics information. However a month passed by, I didn't receive any thing from USCIS. But my EAD is expiring soon. So I went to seattle local office with the approval notice to get my passport stamped. In this way, I can continue to work.

But they refused to stamp my passport, saying the approval notice I had didn't instruct them to do so. And they don't give away temporary approval any more. I explained my situation, but still useless.

I wonder if I can go to a different office to get my passport stamped?

Is your employer asking for continued evidence of work authorization? Tell your employer about the approval and that you are a legal permanent resident as of the approval.

Why don't you call and make an appointment for biometrics? Once you do it, they will automatically send a GC card.

The guy at the local office checked my name in the computer, and told me that I am not scheduled for a biomedics yet.

This situation is so weird. Now, I would rather GC approved after I got my work permit extended.

LCSilence said:

Thanks,

According to the new procedure they stopped stamping passport (some exceptions are there) and one has to wait for their Biometrics. Issuing of Biometrics notice depends as how many people are ahead of you in your local ASC, most of the time it is a time taking events. In our case it took 82 days after receiving the 485 approval notice.
Since your EAD is going to expire, you may take an info pass appointment and show your EAD to the officer and point out the expiration date, they might consider this one as an exceptional case and may issue you some temporary document. Good Luck

are u sure, many people getting cards in 2-3 weeks after approval

also with what you say this person is in a limob and someone in this situation can't even travel out despite getting approved?
mozaffar421 said:
According to the new procedure they stopped stamping passport (some exceptions are there) and one has to wait for their Biometrics. Issuing of Biometrics notice depends as how many people are ahead of you in your local ASC, most of the time it is a time taking events. In our case it took 82 days after receiving the 485 approval notice.
Since your EAD is going to expire, you may take an info pass appointment and show your EAD to the officer and point out the expiration date, they might consider this one as an exceptional case and may issue you some temporary document. Good Luck

WorryForGC said:
also with what you say this person is in a limob and someone in this situation can't even travel out despite getting approved?
How soon you will get the card,will entirely depends how soon you got your Biometrics notification (for code 2 or code 3) in some cases people got the notice for Biomet. prior to the approval of 485, in those cases card arrives very quickly after the approval. I'ts also true once you done with Biomet, you will get the card within 7-10 days.
Regarding the travel plan: one of the officer in our area told us" If you can show them your confirmed return Ticket" they will stamped on the passport. The most important thing is these processing varies from place to place and from one officer to another.

I have requested my company to write me a letter explaining my situation. I will try my luck again next week.

USCIS-ASC should have walk-in day for FP.

LCSilence said:
The guy at the local office checked my name in the computer, and told me that I am not scheduled for a biomedics yet.

This situation is so weird. Now, I would rather GC approved after I got my work permit extended.

My Advise, go to the nearest USCIS-ASC (Application SupportCenter) and ask about their walk-in day (other ASC accepts walk-ins on Wednesday & others are open on Saturday). Then, request for Code-3 Biometrics (10 Finger Print and your Signature).

Hope this will help.

You can get your passport stamped.Just tell them you need to travel outside US and they will stamp it.

Today, I went to the local office for info pass and was lucky enough to be assigned to a different officer. She just took a look at my approval and gave me a 60 days valid stamp. I guess last time I was just set up with a bad guy.

I just received a finger printing appointment (Code 2): it says FBI is unable to process my fingerprint card, I needs to get my finger prints taken before USCIS can continue to process my case.

Is this the right biometrics appointment? It sounds for I485 background check not for the physical GC?

LCSilence said:
I just received a finger printing appointment (Code 2): it says FBI is unable to process my fingerprint card, I needs to get my finger prints taken before USCIS can continue to process my case.

Is this the right biometrics appointment? It sounds for I485 background check not for the physical GC?

They do not take any FP for background check. For GC itself they take one finger on a white card (not sure what is code #) and ask to write your name whithin a box on that card, do it two times same way on both sides of the card, we did it last year on the interview. Also your FP (10 fingers) should be whithin 15 months from taken last time, if you had earlier then they ask you take them again (again I do not know what code # is it, we always got FP notice without code # indication).