Passport stamping experience at Newark

sav321

Registered Users (C)
Myself and my wife stamped our passports today without a problem. Reached in line at around 9.45AM. They took our papers around 10.45AM. Told us to go 10th floor. We waited their for about 10 minutes and our passports were stamped and were congratulated. Then went to SSA office in New Brunswick for status change on Social secutiry cards. And were home at around 2.30 after picking up Veggie Whoppers from BK...thought of becoming real american and eating some junk food.....

Do we have to get passport stamped?

Guys

I had a elementary question. do we have to get our passport stamped ? I think we will get our green cards in a few weeks, so then are they both the same ? Or Not ?

ANy explanations will be helpful

Re: Do we have to get passport stamped?

Originally posted by GCDoc
Guys

I had a elementary question. do we have to get our passport stamped ? I think we will get our green cards in a few weeks, so then are they both the same ? Or Not ?

You have to get your passport stampted, otherwise the cards will not be ordered for you. That is what I heard on this board.

Double check with your lawyer if you decide on not getting you passport stamped.... And, do post your finding...

thanks,

Guys

Yes you have to. Otherwise your card will not be ordered. You have to fill in a form and put your thumbprint and signature over that. This is sent to VSC and after that only VSC orders plastic card for you. Stamping passport is temporary and valid only for a year till yo uget your card.

Which days for ppt stamping in Newark?

Thanks for enlightening me

Are there any particular days of the week for getting your passport stamp or u can pretty much go on any day ?

I am talking about Newark INS.

Thanks in advance:confused:

It is not neccessary to stamp passport

Guys and Gals,

When I went for stamping my passport there was one old lady in line. She submitted all her documents with her finger prints and signature. Then one person was doing IBIS check and when she finished checking about her, she came out and called that old lady and asked her if she wants temporary greencard (aka stamping in passport). That old lady was confused. INS officer told her that if she has to travel in near future she will need this stamping other wise they will mail all her documents to GC processing center (where they make GCs) and GC will come to her home within 6-10 months. I heard all their conversation because INS officer was speaking loudly as that old lady was not able to hear clearly.

So I guess stamping is not MUST. Its upto you to get stamping or not. I would suggest to get passport stamped ...just in case....this is INS....

sav321

one question...can you tell me why you needed the status change on Social secutiry card?

(changing from "What" to "What")
Thanks

Status change

tan 123

If you are in USA on non-immigrant visa which allows you to work then your social security card has a statement on it which say "Valid only for Work Authorization" or something similar..cant remember exact wording. So Once you get your GC you need to remove that condition from your social security card. So for that you need to go to SSA office to remove that condition. Fill out a form and they will take your old card and send you new one with same SS number.

If you go to Newark Office, the lines are long and there are a lot of people...specially on wednesday and saturday...because this is also the walk-in schedule. Other than that, I'm sure everything would be a good experience for you.

Guys

You can get plastic card even without stamping on the passport. However you have to take your approval notice to INS local office. Fill in a form (i-89) and put your thumbprint and signature on that. This completes Greencard process and once this filled form i-89 is sent to VSC they order plastic card. YOu are asked to bring your passport just to see whether it is still valid.

Stamping on passport is only for your use. If you want to travel or work you have to show some kind of eligibility. Otherwise stamping is not necessary. In my case I had to request the officer to stamp on my passport. Otherwise sometimes they do not even stamp on passport . Temporary greencard stamping is a very basic stamp and officer writes your A# beneath the stamp.

Do we have to go to SS offices for status update

Let me know as few days back I got my passpost stamped.