Passport Stamping Done at INS San Jose Office

sriram aravas

Registered Users (C)
Hi
Yesterday I got my passport stamped with the temporary permanent residence visa.
I went to the San Jose office around 3:30 am. There must have been about 50-60 people
in front of me. Around 7am the INS building opened and we were let in one by one.
After passing thru security check, we had to goto a counter where the INS officer
inspected my I-485 approval notice (courtesy copy is good enough). I was given token# 68.
Then followed another long wait for my token# to be called. Around 11am my turn came.
The INS officer took the approval notice, 2 ADIT style photographs, my I-94s. Since I had
not applied for EAD and AP, I did not have anything else to handover. After taking
my signature and fingerprint twice, he stamped my passport with the temporary residence
visa which is valid for 1 year. He said the plastic card would take 9-12 months to arrive.

I have some suggestions based on my experience:
1. Carry a foldable chair because the wait is long.
2. Dress in warm clothing because it gets chilly early in the morning.
3. Carry some light snacks/bottled water although there is a mobile van that comes around 5am.
4. If you are stamping with family, they could join you around 6:30 am just before the line starts to move.
5. No food/drinks allowed inside the INS building.

My details:
PD 09/99
I-140 Approved: 07/00
I-485 Applied: 10/00
I-485 approved: August 27, 2001
PP Stamped: September 4, 2001

Thanks
Sriram

dear ,shiram congratulations you are permanent resident of usa.

thank you for your post about stamping passport.enjoy life!!!

No Title

Well I had a couple of I-94s because my company extended my H1.
Basically, turn in all I-94s you are having at that time.

Sriram

Same day to get Passport Stamp

Sriram, I had the same day to get Passport stamp. I went to SJ INS at 2:30am and I got no. 55. Supposed only 30 people before me but after 6am there were another 20 people came and cut line. The INS officer who process my case is an Asian lady with bad attitude. When I gave her my passport, H-1, EAD, AP, I-94, and approval notice, she only took I-94, first page of AP, and approval notice and returned back the rest to me. When she told me to do fingerprints, she never touch my hand and just use a pen to follow her step, Weird?! After she stamped on my passport and told me all done, I kept telling her that my lawyer said I should give up my EAD, she was very mad, grabbed my EAD back and said "up to you". Therefore, INS does not really give all officer the normal procedure to process the cases. So guys, be careful to those stupid INS officers.